Got small tropical herp suggestions?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've got a 18" cube exoterra that's been gathering dust after rehousing its previous occupants. Within the next year or two I'd love to turn it into a naturalistic vivarium, but I'm not sure what sorts of animals to keep in there.

I was strongly considering dart frogs or electric blue geckos, but those are both diurnal and I'm nocturnal. I don't find tree frogs quiiite as cute as dart frogs, but they're certainly a possibility.

I do love salamanders. Aneides lugubris seemed very promising, but my apartment is way too hot for them. Are there any terrestrial or arboreal salamanders that can be kept in the 72F+ range?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
The skinks getting squished all over the road here right now?

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh nooo that makes me sad. I see squished blind snakes here sometimes.

I hadn't thought about skinks, they're mostly diurnal, aren't they?

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
Greenhouse frog (Eleutherodactylus planirostris)?

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Any small skink can easily live in there without complications. How bout an anole? Heard they fit those in small enclos in the US? Lol

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Oh nooo that makes me sad. I see squished blind snakes here sometimes.

I hadn't thought about skinks, they're mostly diurnal, aren't they?
Mostly, but they can vary their habits depending on available food sources. They are highly adaptable but I've seen population explosions as we are having right now and mass die offs that are entirely dependent upon disturbances in their hunting habitats. For example, when we first moved here we had hundreds of them. Then we cleaned out the jungle undergrowth and they vanished. Then along the backwater roads around here they are appearing everywhere again where fields have been left fallow and orchards have been permitted to -go to seed- so to speak. They also appear to be highly social with dozens occupying the same hunting area and they don't appear to get into fights like geckos do.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greenhouse frog (Eleutherodactylus planirostris)?
I just looked these little guys up, it's incredible that they lay their eggs out of water.

Any small skink can easily live in there without complications. How bout an anole? Heard they fit those in small enclos in the US? Lol
What small skink species are available in the hobby these days? I've been out of the herp hobby for many years and I'm very out of the loop. Anoles are diurnal though, aren't they?

Mostly, but they can vary their habits depending on available food sources. They are highly adaptable but I've seen population explosions as we are having right now and mass die offs that are entirely dependent upon disturbances in their hunting habitats. For example, when we first moved here we had hundreds of them. Then we cleaned out the jungle undergrowth and they vanished. Then along the backwater roads around here they are appearing everywhere again where fields have been left fallow and orchards have been permitted to -go to seed- so to speak. They also appear to be highly social with dozens occupying the same hunting area and they don't appear to get into fights like geckos do.
Maybe that's whats going on with the geckos in my area. I saw tons last year, but none this year and it's had me worried.

Maybe I should join a salamander forum and see if I can find more info on terrestrial/arboreal species.