Flesh flyes in Wolf tank?

Alokin

Arachnosquire
Ok so yesterday i cought this giant fly...at the time i pretty much called em hors flyes or shit flyes but i was damn wrong it had white and black stripes on the back vertical ones.I looked it up and it said it was a flesh fly....so the thing that im woried about is that when the spider ate her he squiezed her and then these little white maggots started coming out of its back side.They fell to the substrate which is pure beach sand.I was wondereing can they survive will the mature...wil they be a threat to my wolf.Has someone seen this happen what should i espect!?

hERES A PICTURE OF WHAT I THINK THE FLY WAS!?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Larvae larvae larvae... Some flys are ovoviviparous. The eggs are retained through the entire gestation... facepalm... been hanging around mammals too long, incubation period and released as larvae. If that is the case, quite likely, they need food to thrive. Dead, decayed, excreted etc.
In the rare chance they are parasites, parasites are commonly host specific. That is, it's very unlikely a parasite living in a fly can target a Lycosid. Then, the parasite delivery mechanism is missing. They rarely act as their own vector.

Last edited:

Alokin

Arachnosquire
No they are not egs...they were mooving i saw them.But if its true what you mean then i should just get out any dead stuff in the enclosure and it will be fine they will die out!?

Last edited:

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
Sarcophagidae give live birth to larvae (maggots). The larvae will not harm the Wolf spider. If the larvae survive they will simply emerge as flies, which the Wolf will then happily catch and eat.

The Snark

Old Timer
Sarcophagidae give live birth to larvae (maggots). The larvae will not harm the Wolf spider. If the larvae survive they will simply emerge as flies, which the Wolf will then happily catch and eat.
^^^ What RR said ^^^ :)

RegallRegius

Arachnosquire
Larvae larvae larvae... Some flys are ovoviviparous. The eggs are retained through the entire gestation... facepalm... been hanging around mammals too long, incubation period and released as larvae. If that is the case, quite likely, they need food to thrive. Dead, decayed, excreted etc.
In the rare chance they are parasites, parasites are commonly host specific. That is, it's very unlikely a parasite living in a fly can target a Lycosid. Then, the parasite delivery mechanism is missing. They rarely act as their own vector.
^ What The Snark said, just worded differently. :D ^

The Snark

Old Timer
This is an aspect of keeping live animals that all serious keepers should be aware of and research.
In nature there are checks and balances that control infestations, plagues, swarms, epidemics, an estimated 99.999% of the time.
So getting to know the built in controls in the natural habitat, the beneficial predators and organisms, and awareness of the various organic 'tools' at your disposal to maintain natural balances should be a part of the serious animal keepers knowledge base.

This thread gives a perfect example. A potential infestation occurs in an artificial habitat. What checks and controls could be set in place that will protect the animals? Springtails and isopods are typical examples that make an environment hostile to certain infestations.

When an animal is removed from the natural environment, you, the keeper, must take the place of nature in establishing the natural balance.

A biologist once gave a seminar that started with 'Cacti have adapted to grow in very cold hash environments.yet you can't grow a cactus on a glacier. Why not?.
The answer is obvious. There are too many links, chains, connections in the web of life that are missing.'

For the animal keeper that wishes to have an animal thrive outside the in situ environment, the onus is on them to make those links, chains and connections. Failing to meet them inevitably, sooner or later, produces the natural effect of a die off. Extinction. The more criteria that are met, the longer the life in the synthesized habitat can continue.

Will the animals be healthier in that habitat? NO! That is the paradox of nature. Only the strong will survive. Or, to sum this drivel up in one word: evolution.

Last edited:

Alokin

Arachnosquire
Thank you for all the answers guys.THo if this is true which it is...its the best suit cous im gonna be in the hospital for 2 weeks atleast and my mum cannot fead her cous she is soo scared....but i gues this is the best outcome..i did feed her good so that she can servive but if the maggots servive they may keep her well fed :) SO thank you...and about what the snark said i would like AIther rename the topic or just continue with these helpfull descusions cous i belive im not the only one who can benefit from these discusions :)