What type of scorpion is this?

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
I bought this from hot-topic today and I was wondering what type of scorpion it was? I'll appreciate all the help I can get!

---------- Post added 08-01-2014 at 05:56 PM ----------

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I am not sure what kind of scorpion it is, but I do know that I hate seeing them in these decorations not knowing whether it died naturally or was killed to make the ornament. Given that the majority of specimens appear to be young it raises that question.

Patcho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Could also be a fake scorpion, this is Hot Topic we're talking about here...or just really bad pictures.

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
I am not sure what kind of scorpion it is, but I do know that I hate seeing them in these decorations not knowing whether it died naturally or was killed to make the ornament. Given that the majority of specimens appear to be young it raises that question.
I've never thought about the decorations that way :( that's true I agree I hope they haven't killed it and I does look pretty young yeah next time I see an ornament with a bug or arachnid I'll just not buy it :) thank you

---------- Post added 08-03-2014 at 08:07 PM ----------

Could also be a fake scorpion, this is Hot Topic we're talking about here...or just really bad pictures.
Nah it's just a shity pic I'm sorry my camera is really bad on my phone. In real life you can see all the details of it like the tiny fingers at the end of the legs

Olsin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen them all over the place on Ebay, CL and even on local markets and stores...Some sellers even make up bogus disclaimers stating that only scorpions that have died naturally are used to make these trinkets.......despite that globally the amount of them must be hundreds of thousands if not more.
The truth is these scorpions are breed on scorpion farms mostly in Asia where they are used as food, made into liquor, used in medicine and now it seems encased in plastic.
A brief look around youtube/general shows that Asians generally have a much different attitude than westerners when it comes to animals..They also have other farms trying to breed all sorts of animals including tigers, elephants, rhino's and other animals that Asians traditionally use. It takes the pressure of natural resources and stops people getting angry at them for killing the wildlife for ridiculous reasons...for example crushed tiger bones against arthritis.
Few reporters can get near these farms but the dribbles that do come out show that compassion and common decency for the animals is usually nowhere to be seen. They don't bother putting them down in any kind of accepted humane way with drowning being the most common ....it mustn't cost anything!
There's no reason to think that these scorpions had an easier time of it although i would imagine they were dead before being encased in resin. These trinkets are built up in layers. The scorpion would have been placed on top of the hardened bottom layer and resin poured over. If it had been alive and moving there would be a danger that it would cause air bubbles in the still viscous resin as well as moving out of pose.

Buying these kinds of things only supports and encourages the people that make them.......and no scorpion/living creature would willingly give it's life just to be a flashy trinket on the arm of a young person that'll get fed up with it one day when the next cool trinket comes along.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The pics are too blurry to make an accurate ID, but it might be one of the black Hottentotta species....a juvenile that is....

Cherrypeep

Arachnosquire
I've seen them all over the place on Ebay, CL and even on local markets and stores...Some sellers even make up bogus disclaimers stating that only scorpions that have died naturally are used to make these trinkets.......despite that globally the amount of them must be hundreds of thousands if not more.
The truth is these scorpions are breed on scorpion farms mostly in Asia where they are used as food, made into liquor, used in medicine and now it seems encased in plastic.
A brief look around youtube/general shows that Asians generally have a much different attitude than westerners when it comes to animals..They also have other farms trying to breed all sorts of animals including tigers, elephants, rhino's and other animals that Asians traditionally use. It takes the pressure of natural resources and stops people getting angry at them for killing the wildlife for ridiculous reasons...for example crushed tiger bones against arthritis.
Few reporters can get near these farms but the dribbles that do come out show that compassion and common decency for the animals is usually nowhere to be seen. They don't bother putting them down in any kind of accepted humane way with drowning being the most common ....it mustn't cost anything!
There's no reason to think that these scorpions had an easier time of it although i would imagine they were dead before being encased in resin. These trinkets are built up in layers. The scorpion would have been placed on top of the hardened bottom layer and resin poured over. If it had been alive and moving there would be a danger that it would cause air bubbles in the still viscous resin as well as moving out of pose.

Buying these kinds of things only supports and encourages the people that make them.......and no scorpion/living creature would willingly give it's life just to be a flashy trinket on the arm of a young person that'll get fed up with it one day when the next cool trinket comes along.
I've only had tarantulas as pets I've never really gone into scorpions but I know what your saying. I always see the tarantula jewelry and them encased in resin and it angers me because I own these beautiful creatures and they don't deserve that kind of treatment. I thought about that and saw that i have that terrible jewelry. I saw how stupid I was in buying that jewelry, I was just dumb and thought "oh hey that's awesome I'm going to look so cool with that on my hand ". Now I understand that, it was really idiotic of me to even buy that crap and let me tell you I won't ever look at that stuff anymore thank you for not being harsh and yelling at me like a lot of people would have.

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 06:35 PM ----------

The pics are too blurry to make an accurate ID, but it might be one of the black Hottentotta species....a juvenile that is....
Thank you :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
the single most heavily 'resined' scorpion species is Smeringurus mesaensis, unfortunately..

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Sure does look like a juvie hottentotta specie

My wife bought me a computer mouse with a similar scorpion encased in it thinking I would enjoy it. Although I know she meant well -I explained I would have much rather seen her buy me a live scorpion I wasn't interested in keeping than buy me a beautiful dead 1 that made me sick every time I click.

Gnat

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a small 'black' scorpion in resi9n as a keychain, however it is apparent upon closer inspection of my piece that it has been painted black and the scorp was originally tan/gold/yellow.