Adult LP enclosure size

viator80

Arachnopeon
I've looked around and couldn't find a really good answer. Would an 18x18x12 enclosure be large enough for an adult LP? I'm getting a sling next week, just looking to the future. Looking at these. image.jpg Thanks!

gobey

Arachnoknight
I'm gonna need to start looking at these soon. Mine are 4 inches. :)

gobey

Arachnoknight

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
Dude thanks for this! I'll be needing this soon for the L.P.s and to get an OW arboreal setup. Probably around the same time.
No problem! I was blown away when I first looked through the site.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Does it have a screen top? Most terrestrials are strong burrowers and can chew thru screen tops, even aluminum screen.

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
That is a beautiful enclosure, but with the doors being on the front, you are only going to be able to get a few inches of substrate in there. That's not enough for a heavy terrestrial. Too much of a risk if they climb and fall, and not enough substrate if they want to burrow. I also agree with Poec54 about the lid. I have an adult LD in a 20g long. It's got a solid lid with holes drilled for ventilation.

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
You'd be better off with a 20 gallon aquarium. It's a lot less expensive, and the size is more suited to a 8"-10" tarantula.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Ooh I only peeked at it. Didn't realize it's front opening. No good for a big L.P. I already have a 4" guy that dug so far down he hit plastic. I really underestimated how much substrate to use to be sure your T is happy. I was probably an inch too short and should've just done another 2 inches just to be safe.

These guys will excavate a ton suddenly overnight. I have 2 pet Burrows now.

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
Ooh I only peeked at it. Didn't realize it's front opening. No good for a big L.P. I already have a 4" guy that dug so far down he hit plastic. I really underestimated how much substrate to use to be sure your T is happy. I was probably an inch too short and should've just done another 2 inches just to be safe.

These guys will excavate a ton suddenly overnight. I have 2 pet Burrows now.
The container in the OP is front opening. The one that I linked opens from the top. :biggrin:

vancwa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All my T's are eventually rehoused into Sterilte containers w/ snapping clasps on the end. Stackable.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
All my T's are eventually rehoused into Sterilte containers w/ snapping clasps on the end. Stackable.
Same here. Not as 'pretty' and the plastic isn't as quite as clear as I'd like, but the weight is minimal, along with the cost. If you have a handful of spiders, you can get big designer cages and fill them with decorations. But on a larger scale it's not practical. I'd love to be able to have big, fancy cages, but they'd fill up my whole house, and I'd have to take out a loan to pay for them. That would not go over well with the wife. As your collection grows, economy, space, stacking, weight, and cost become increasingly important.

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
Same here. Not as 'pretty' and the plastic isn't as quite as clear as I'd like, but the weight is minimal, along with the cost. If you have a handful of spiders, you can get big designer cages and fill them with decorations. But on a larger scale it's not practical. I'd love to be able to have big, fancy cages, but they'd fill up my whole house, and I'd have to take out a loan to pay for them. That would not go over well with the wife. As your collection grows, economy, space, stacking, weight, and cost become increasingly important.
How many T's do you have? I'm at 39 at the moment and I am trying to keep the growth of my collection down to accommodate for enclosure costs. I buy all my T's as slings so it's not too bad, kind of a guilty pleasure to spend money on the nice enclosures. I feel like I would rather have fewer tarantulas in gorgeous 100% transparent enclosures designed in a way that my tarnatulas are easy to see and interact with as opposed to more spiders in sterilite containers. At that point I'd feel like I have a bunch of pet boxes.

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
Yeah I looked at this site and it did have good top opening ones. I'm only concerned with 2 nice looking enclosures for the L.P.s since they'll get big quick. And I will be taking an H. Mac into my care as it grows as well. And I'd like a proper front opening arboreal enclosure for him.

My Avic and rose hair seem fine. Although the Avic maybe could use a taller enclosure too. Maybe just upgrade to an XL KK for him instead of large.

The rose hair is in a Wal-Mart bin with holes drilled in it. Not as clear as I'd like, but she's also a boring T lol. She should be fine in there until she dies I bet. We'll see if she ever gets any bigger.

And other than that I have 2 B. Albopilosum slings. They'll take a while before needing any real enclosures other than deli cups. :)

But the L.P.s and the H. Mac.... those are the display spiders. I want nice clear enclosures for them. The rest are my "pets". My spider pals. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
How many T's do you have? I'm at 39 at the moment and I am trying to keep the growth of my collection down to accommodate for enclosure costs.
600. I'd rather put my money into spiders than cages. If you want nice-looking crystal-clear cages, you should build them yourself and save a bundle that way.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Me as well. I find them to be significantly safer on top of the stackable, cheap aspect. No worry of the container shattering or a tarantula getting it's tarsal claws stuck in mesh screening and loosing a leg.

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
600. I'd rather put my money into spiders than cages. If you want nice-looking crystal-clear cages, you should build them yourself and save a bundle that way.
You may be on to something there :-D. Once I get some space cleared out that will most likely be my solution.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is a beautiful enclosure, but with the doors being on the front, you are only going to be able to get a few inches of substrate in there. That's not enough for a heavy terrestrial.
That Exo Terra enclosure in the pic allows you to have 8 inches of space between the sub and the top of the enclosure. That's less than the leg-span of most adult LP's (Mine is 8 1/2 inches). Replace the mesh in the lid with acrylic, and its fine.

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 08:45 AM ----------

I feel like it would be large enough for all but the largest LP's. I am setting my large tarantulas up in these: http://www.reptile-enclosure.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=74
They have a huge variety and plenty of larger containers. Worth checking out.
If you have an LP, its going to find those little screen vents and likely chew them right out.

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 08:45 AM ----------

If you have an LP, its going to find those little screen vents and likely chew them right out.
Thank you for voicing that. I was concerned because my LPs munch on everything and frequently do rounds exploring their enclosures, probing everything. I decided to have these customized to replace the screens with air holes.