Phormictopus behavior compared to Phlogius sp., Selenocosmia sp. & Chilobrachys sp.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I've recently been keeping T's, but I have been studying up on how to care for them for a few years now. I had started with three species, B. emilia, G. pulchripes and P. cancerides. Unfortunately the Brachypelma and Grammostola died while shipping so the Phormictopus is left. It's small, .75" and I'm planning to get some experience dealing with a defensive and fast T, which is why I picked this T. I'm a zoology student currently, and I want to pursue arachnology when I decide to get my masters, specifically for tarantulas, the species I mentioned in the title. And the first step I want to take is to own the species from the mentioned genus.

I was curious to see with people who own a Phormictopus sp. and any of the three other genus to see how the behavior is similar or different. How do they compare when it comes to defensiveness? How about their care, is it much more different? I understand that the others are more 'burrowers' from what I've read already and need a moister environment. Obviously their venom strength is worlds apart along tho aha. Would it be a big jump to go from a Phormictopus to a Phlogius/Selenocosmia/Chilobrachys? Which one of the three would be better to start off with?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Would it be a big jump to go from a Phormictopus to a Phlogius/Selenocosmia/Chilobrachys? Which one of the three would be better to start off with?
The issue with those 3 OW genera, and many OW genera, is speed. Instead of leisurely kicking hairs like so many NW's, part of an OW's defensive plan is running away at high speed. If they have a retreat they feel secure in, that's their preferred path, but if they feel stranded out in the open when you open the lid (and their retreat seems to far away to them), they may resort to running or a defensive display. They may sit motionless, then suddenly explode. Or they may panic and run laps on the sides of the cage in a blur. Or run up your arm and on your back.

You're still very new at this, and there's no hurry. I'd get more experience with more NW species first, like Pamphobeteus, Acanthoscurria, Lasiodora, etc, and after them, Psalmopoeus. It takes a while to get used a large hairy spider racing around (sometimes over the side and out of it's cage). You can read and research all you want, but beginners are rarely prepared to deal with that in real life. Two very different things. Without experience to fall back on, it's hard to do the 'right thing' when you have a millisecond to decide what to do, before it gets loose or bites you.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
I would opt for the more "chill" species like c.darlingi, m.balfori, h.villosella etc. Yes phormics are fast but they can be total wusses. Pamphs will throw their weight around and psalmos and taps(even if they don't appeal to everyone) will teach you about speed without as nasty of venom. The chilo I think are the easiest from your list to get but as I've noticed with the smaller species they make up in attitude what they lack in size. There s no shame in starting slow, some people move to ow faster than others but we all start off somewhere.