Is my B. Smithi molting or is something wrong due to gashes on abdomen? Please help!

RafkinsWarning

Arachnopeon
I came home to find my B. Smithi female with two gashes on her abdomen, she had been upset today due to her water dish getting dumped over and her substrate becoming wet, she had been flicking hairs quite a lot. I noticed that she had clawed these gashes into her abdomen and one was starting to bleed a little from the wound where her leg was scratching her. I applied a tiny amount of super glue to the wounds and she immediately calmed down, but then when I returned to check on her ten minutes later she was flat on her back in the cage. I have noticed that she has been exhibiting signs of molting for the past couple of weeks, loss of appetite, webbing and a bald spot on her abdomen. Is she just molting or is this due to the gashes? If it is normal molting will the super glue effect the molting process by me applying it so soon? I recently got her from a friend of the family and this is my first T and molt, please tell me she is going to be okay and I am just paranoid!

Here is a pic of her on her back, any suggestions you guys have is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_20140803_003612.jpg

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where were the gashes on her abdomen?

They flip upside down to molt. That's normal.

RafkinsWarning

Arachnopeon
The gashes are on the very top of her abdomen, her flesh was almost peeled back in a slice and looked like a long strip of wallpaper peeling.

I'm positive that she is molting but I am just worried that the gashes and glue might hurt her being that she is in such a delicate state. I'm a newbie when it comes to owning a T but I have done a great deal of research... I'm just a worrier by nature and would hate to have anything go wrong with her.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I don't see anything wrong in that picture, nor do I see any "gashes" you are talking about.
If it's on the top of her abdomen maybe you were just seeing her kick off chunks of urticating hair? They often come off in clumps and people have often mistaken them for wounds, crust, mold, etc.

RafkinsWarning

Arachnopeon
The gash looked and felt like her soft flesh and was oozing where it was peeled back, you can't see it due to her being on her back though. I was just wondering if that has ever happened before and if you guys think it will matter during a molt. Thanks for all of your responses btw.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's possible that she's molting because the gashes in her exo were causing problems and she needs a new one. I don't know terribly much about tarantula physiology, but I'm not sure putting glue on it was a good thing. Do tarantula wounds seal themselves? I know the exoskeleton won't repair until a molt, but is there a clotting mechanism for stopping bleeding?

Athenas Boy

Arachnosquire
He should be fine. Just make sure to leave him/her alone while molting. Also make sure you let us know if it made it out okay!

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think all of this is normal and I hope the glue you applied does not trap her in her old skin. Cornstarch also helps the blood clot up and glue should only be used in dire emergencies which because we cannot see the details of the wound we cannot determine this

cold blood

Staff member
I think all of this is normal and I hope the glue you applied does not trap her in her old skin. Cornstarch also helps the blood clot up and glue should only be used in dire emergencies which because we cannot see the details of the wound we cannot determine this
I thought the same, if glue was put on it, it will invariably glue the old to the exposed new, could be an issue with the molt. Glue is an emergency, life saving, last ditch effort to save the t. Cornstartch or flour are much safer.

I've never heard of a t gouging itself, and I doubt VERY highly that the t did that to itself...it probably fell or something, what you see is probably grooming of the area.

Good luck with the molt, keep us posted.

RafkinsWarning

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, I really hope the glue doesn't seal to the old exoskeleton... everywhere I've read has said to use spuer glue on wounds, I will definately keep cornstarch handy from now on.

RafkinsWarning

Arachnopeon
She has fully molted! I had to help her remove her a little of the molt on her abdomen but it came off easily and she appears to be doing just fine!

cold blood

Staff member
She has fully molted! I had to help her remove her a little of the molt on her abdomen but it came off easily and she appears to be doing just fine!
Spectacular! Were the injuries fixed by the molt? When you described them as bleeding I assumed they would have punctured the new exoskeleton as well.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Spectacular! Were the injuries fixed by the molt? When you described them as bleeding I assumed they would have punctured the new exoskeleton as well.
If I recall occasionally there is excess fluid lost when a spider molts, I've seen this happen with my true spiders and I kinda forgot about that. I think she may have fallen or had a slight tear and was conveniently going to molt anyway so it should have been repaired. The OP needs to watch her closely and make sure water is available in case she did lose a little extra fluids.