Question about the Tarantula Keeper's Guide

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
I keep reading in here recommendations for The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Does anyone know if it is available on Kindle?

I ask because, due to visual impairment, it is much easier for me to download a book and open it up on the Kindle app on my phone where I can get the font size how I want it, than it is to try to read hard copy books which generally have really small print. Hard copy books I get generally become dust collectors.

Anyway, since it seems to come highly recommended, it seems wise to read it before getting a T. I should have time to do that while I contemplate how I'm going to make sure my cat can't get to the enclosure, as discussed in the "Kitty Proof Enclosure" thread.

I'm guessing there is probably not a Kindle edition, as I didn't find it on an Amazon search, but thought I would ask in case I missed something.

Medusa

Arachnoknight
I bought Animal Planet's "Tarantulas" book (by Michael A. Jacobi) on Kindle before I found this forum. I found it helpful but not as extensive as the Shultz book. In your circumstance I'd recommend it until/unless the TKG becomes Kindle available.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I bought Animal Planet's "Tarantulas" book (by Michael A. Jacobi) on Kindle before I found this forum. I found it helpful but not as extensive as the Shultz book. In your circumstance I'd recommend it until/unless the TKG becomes Kindle available.
That's your best bet kindle wise. There's also a good 99 cent kindle book called tarantula care by Jerry G Walls. It's not going to cover much that you won't learn from Jacobi´s book, but if your like me the info that is exclusive to it is totally worth a dollar and it's a very good read.

I also recommend you get TKG however. I'm like you. My phone is more accessible than anything else. I'm typing this message on it now. But THE Tarantula Keepers Guide is so worth having and reading that I own 2 copies and I'm new to the hobby. I bought the 1998 version off of my friend's pet shop and it was awesome to read. And that was just for owning an Avic and a rose hair. Now I have the 2009 version and am re reading it and it's awesome to see the differences that have been implemented. I'm reading up on raising slings now, which Jacobi's book does not cover at all really.

I also recommend buying a book called "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids" - a pet owners manual by Barrons books. It's like TKG lite. It's also worth reading. Those are the texts I've read since entering the hobby 2 months ago. I made sure I read a LOT and read the best available because boy did I fall quick into buying these little guys.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I have a number of tarantula books and the 3rd edition of the TKG is the most comprehensive by far.

Last edited:

8LegsMomWannabe

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the links. :) I do have a magnification app in my phone. Far easier to read a book *on* my phone, but it is an option if I want TKG.

Actually have happened upon Mr. Shultz's website before. But not surprised to hear it isn't as extensive as the book. Better than nothing if one doesn't have the book, but I think I may give serious consideration to getting it.

Question: About how big is the TKG book? If I get it and use the magnification app, I'll be holding the book and my phone, so trying to get an idea how cumbersome that may be.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the links. :) I do have a magnification app in my phone. Far easier to read a book *on* my phone, but it is an option if I want TKG.

Actually have happened upon Mr. Shultz's website before. But not surprised to hear it isn't as extensive as the book. Better than nothing if one doesn't have the book, but I think I may give serious consideration to getting it.

Question: About how big is the TKG book? If I get it and use the magnification app, I'll be holding the book and my phone, so trying to get an idea how cumbersome that may be.
About 370 pages

Attachments

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'm sure you've tried before but just in case you haven't, there are magnifiers you can get that will fit over a whole page magnifying all of it.

Duromed Magnifier Full Page 1 Unit - Swanson Health Products
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/duro...=54539047327&gclid=CMLt5u2q-78CFZTm7AodemkAvA

Bausch & Lomb® Magna-Rule® Full Page Magnifier; 8-1/2x11", 2X | Quill.com
http://www.quill.com/bausch-lomb-rectangular-magnifier/cbs/046141.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_OS_046141

Full Page Magnifier | Tools & Gadgets
http://www.plowhearth.com/full-page-magnifier.htm?aff=6443&gclid=CPW8upSr-78CFZJr7AodOQ0A4Q

Like these? they range from just over 5 US dollars to about 100 US dollars. I found another one that was about 150 US dollars, you get the idea though. Clearly you wouldn't want to get one that cost 100 dollars just to read one book but one of the cheaper one's might be handy to have on hand. :)

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
even if you don't read it cover-to-cover like another book, it's still good to have around as a reference. you can use the index to look up specific subjects you have questions about and just read a couple of pages at a time when looking for info on a specific topic.