Avicularia purpurea care requirements?

DoctorBones

Arachnopeon
A quick search of the forum didn't turn up anything that directly addresses this point... sorry if I'm reposting a question that's been answered somewhere.

I'm considering ordering an A. purpurea, but I have some concerns about their care requirements. PetcenterUSA has this blurb about them on their website:

TEMP= 80 degrees---Maximum HIGH TEMP-=86 degrees.....This species MUST BE KEPT HUMID.....CONDENSATION IS NECESSARY.....Best kept in a MICRO-CLIMATE....DO NOT LET THIS SPIDER GET COLD OR DRY....******

I would take most Internet advice about Ts with a grain of salt, but I've dealt with Paul before and my impression is that he knows his stuff. Is this species in fact this sensitive? The posts I've found here on AB don't suggest that it is, but I'd like to get some opinions about this specific statement. I've kept Ts for about 3 years now, and I have six, including an A. avic and a versi, and I feel pretty confident in my abilities as a keeper. Wondering if this T is going to be any more sensitive than my other Avics?

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
i have my purpurea sling in what would be considered a "standard" avic setup - tall deli cup, pin hole cross ventilation and ventilated top, small water bowl, dry substrate. i rarely mist (maybe once every 1-2 weeks) and then only on the opposite side of the enclosure from the sling. also occasionally drip a few drops of water in its webbing. it's molted once, webbed plenty, and had no problems once in the couple months i've had it. i'm not expert on this particular species though, but that has been my experience with it.

i would be skeptical about the condensation part. condensation is nearly impossible in any well-ventilated enclosure, and considering how dangerous overly moist and poorly ventilated containers are for other avic spp. slings, i'd be worried about keeping one in those conditions. i haven't seen any other sources that suggest keeping a purpurea in those conditions. i'd want to see at least one or two other corroborating sources before putting an avic in a setup that is considered potentially deadly to most other avic species.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I keep all my Avic slings (currently 110 of them, comprising 8 species including purpurea) in 16 or 32 oz deli cups, with an inch of dry substrate, a piece of plastic plant, a little long-fiber sphagnum under the plastic plant, and a small water bowl. The cups all have 2 or 3 rings of small holes around the top; I use a soldering gun (pin holes are too small). I only mist once every week or so, and then it's a tiny squirt on their silk, for drinking only, not for humidity (that's what the water bowl is for). This is basically how most successful Avic keepers have theirs set up: dry. My purpurea are very hardy in these conditions.

Moist substrate and condensation kill more Avics than anything else. Remember: Paul's in southern California, a semi-arid region with hot dry summers, and brutally dry Santa Anna winds in the winter. These are very different conditions that the most of us have.

Last edited:

Kinkyskink

Arachnopeon
I have two slings and they are a pleasure and the stars of my small collection. Just keep then like every other avic. I make my own enclosures from acrylic containers I get from hobby lobby. I've had 4 slings over the last year (two went into a herp society raffle) and they all have been docile and great eaters. I feeds mini meal worms and tiny prekilled crickets. They seem to be pretty active too, all of mine are usually out wandering at night.

Great species, my personal favorite. :)