A. Geniculata, in pre-molt and bursting at the seams

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
My G. Pulchripes just molted, and I was surprised to see some signs of pre-molt from my A. Geniculata (Lydia) only a few days later. I think she couldn't stand being smaller than the Chaco. Right now she's so heavy with pre-molt, she might just break through the bottom of her enclosure!

IMG_2650.jpg IMG_2644.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
That IS a fatty, do doubt about it.

Looks like it would almost hurt to move...lol. Looks like it'll pop any day....or if you touch it.:)

goodyt

Arachnosquire
Pretty legs.

If she's a climber at all, take any hard items out and make her substrate really close to the top. If she falls on anything hard with that big of an abdomen, she really will burst. :(

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Pretty legs.

If she's a climber at all, take any hard items out and make her substrate really close to the top. If she falls on anything hard with that big of an abdomen, she really will burst. :(
Good suggestion! Though I haven't observed much climbing from her, I'll take some precautions. She's in a small keeper with only about 4" of a drop, but I'll either take her hide out (only hard thing) or bury it better with substrate.

---------- Post added 08-05-2014 at 04:33 PM ----------

That IS a fatty, do doubt about it.

Looks like it would almost hurt to move...lol. Looks like it'll pop any day....or if you touch it.:)
I don't touch her. Even if she wasn't in pre-molt, I'm not keen to tangle with her urticating hairs. Haha, I just admire her stripes from a distance.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't completely take her hide out, but just cover it in sub as you mentioned.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
how bigs your girl? shes a beauty. looks kinda like my fatty. pretty sure shes in molt too but no nateral light and shes moves her foliage so i dont wana move her container around and hurt her shes about as plump as yours XD

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't completely take her hide out, but just cover it in sub as you mentioned.
Yeah, I was thinking if I took her hide out I'd replace it with one a little smaller and easier to bury. But I'm just going to cover it in substrate. It's so close to the top it's gonna be a little awkward, but I'll make it work. She's out right now. I was hoping to catch her inside the hide so I wouldn't disturb her by adding more coir.

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 12:08 PM ----------

how bigs your girl? shes a beauty. looks kinda like my fatty. pretty sure shes in molt too but no nateral light and shes moves her foliage so i dont wana move her container around and hurt her shes about as plump as yours XD
I've never done any official measurements, but she was sold to me as a 3" female. I'm very excited to see how big she is after this molt! If her bum is any measure of the monster trying to burst out, she'll be much bigger. Hope your girl molts for you soon!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Yeah, I was thinking if I took her hide out I'd replace it with one a little smaller and easier to bury. But I'm just going to cover it in substrate. It's so close to the top it's gonna be a little awkward, but I'll make it work. She's out right now. I was hoping to catch her inside the hide so I wouldn't disturb her by adding more coir.

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 12:08 PM ----------

I've never done any official measurements, but she was sold to me as a 3" female. I'm very excited to see how big she is after this molt! If her bum is any measure of the monster trying to burst out, she'll be much bigger. Hope your girl molts for you soon!
Our girls are about the same size then xD mine was sold at 2.5 id eatimate after last molt shes 3" and just took flashlight to her.. shiiiny x3 seems her abd is almost as big as her dsl lmao so were in same boat xD gl in adding sub

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Your tarantula is approaching a very stressful time. IMO you shouldn't be messing with remodeling right now. Because your T is plump and in pre-molt is no reason to start adding sub or removing hides :embarrassed: Keep the water dish filled and leave it be or risk losing it, due to a stressed out molt.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Our girls are about the same size then xD mine was sold at 2.5 id eatimate after last molt shes 3" and just took flashlight to her.. shiiiny x3 seems her abd is almost as big as her dsl lmao so were in same boat xD gl in adding sub
Cool! This will be her first molt with me, but I have her last exo. The breeder included it when she shipped her. I also finished adding some substrate, she retreated into the hide without needing any prodding.

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 12:32 PM ----------

Your tarantula is approaching a very stressful time. IMO you shouldn't be messing with remodeling right now. Because your T is plump and in pre-molt is no reason to start adding sub or removing hides :embarrassed: Keep the water dish filled and leave it be or risk losing it, due to a stressed out molt.
Whoops, I've already done it! :[ I only added a little ecoearth to the top though, took only a moment and she's back down in her original spot. Hopefully I haven't messed with her too much. She seems fine at a glance, she's already come back out of her hide to relax by her water dish.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Cool! This will be her first molt with me, but I have her last exo. The breeder included it when she shipped her. I also finished adding some substrate, she retreated into the hide without needing any prodding.
Cool beans! Tbh id raise level after shes done molting and hardening up just incase x3 mine has flower pot in mine and i burried it too. After mine hardens shes getting a remodle n sub change to suite her needs more x3

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Of course when I intend to leave everything be, I get a suggestion to add substrate. And then after I've added the substrate, I get told to leave everything be. Ugh. :[

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 12:46 PM ----------

Well, it's been less than ten minutes and she's already out of her hide again. So hopefully that means she wasn't bothered by my mistake.

All I can do now is wait for her to molt, hope it's smooth sailing and remember not to do it again. I left my Chaco alone when she was pre-molt and molting. I was just worried about her swollen abdomen popping open.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Of course when I intend to leave everything be, I get a suggestion to add substrate. And then after I've added the substrate, I get told to leave everything be. Ugh. :[
I'm sure she'll be fine.

Just remember to not let your mommy instinct kick in and listen to every ones advice when your next T molts. No matter what your setup, some one is going to say that there is something that needs changing :( Bottom line, any one that advises changing anything in a healthy T's enclosure, while the T is close to molting, is giving bad advice.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I'm sure she'll be fine.

Just remember to not let your mommy instinct kick in and listen to every ones advice when your next T molts. No matter what your setup, some one is going to say that there is something that needs changing :( Bottom line, any one that advises changing anything in a healthy T's enclosure, while the T is close to molting, is giving bad advice.
You're right. I'm just still new enough that I second guess myself, even though I've done my research. I spend at least an hour everyday reading about the hobby and yet it is hard to ignore advice from people who've done it longer.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
My baby is almost there too still eating though lol.:

Haha, yeah mine stopped eating a week or so ago. I should have known then that she was pre-molt considering how piggish a. Geniculatas are for food!

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
o.0 i dono if id feed them so close to a molt o.0 but looks pretty close! should pop withinthe week XD

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
The abdomens on these genics all look immense 0_o. Is it good for them to be so fat? lol

My A. geniculata is about 1/2" and pretty round. But not that round (comparatively speaking at least).

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't overfeed them like that, please. A good rule of thumb is to not let the abdomen get bigger than 1.5x carapax.