Drassodes Lapidosus Spiderlings!

Kron

Arachnosquire
So the eggs have hatched and they now are living in the mother's house of web. How do I house and feed them once they leave home?

Also, although I very very highly doubt it, would I be able to sell the spiderlings?

Last edited:

Kron

Arachnosquire
Also when I put my finger/thumb on the plastic they flock to it for heat (very cute), should I get them a heat mat as they obviously like a bit of warmth??

Last edited:

Kron

Arachnosquire
A third egg sac has been laid!

It would be nice if someone gave me some advice this time. Last time I kept the enclosure sitting in a biscuit tin lid filled with water so that they couldn't escape and for food I put in a bunch of moss and compost in so that they could eat any little insects that were living in them.

Despite them being surrounded with water they began to escape, I'm guessing a loose web must have made contact with the lid allowing some to climb on and reinforce it with more webs as one morning there were far fewer in the tank and surrounding it a bunch of new webs. Luckily I re-caught most of them, as at night I discovered they like to climb upwards and so I found around 5 or 6 of them running around on my ceiling. In the end I let most of them go anyway, as I didn't have enough containers adequate to house them all (without them escaping AKA spare cricket boxes) but I've kept 2 of them of whom are growing quite nicely :) .

So I was wondering if anyone knows of some cheap ways to get/make containers for when the next bunch hatch and if you have any techniques for catching lots of small prey for them to eat?? Any additional tips would be most helpful.

---------- Post added 08-22-2014 at 09:35 PM ----------

Also, I've recently, after re-researching, That she's probably a D. Cupreus instead of a D. Lapidosus hence it's copper coloured carapace.

The wolf

Arachnolord
You could consider keeping a fruit fly colony although that didn't work very well for me you definitely could start a springtail colony its the easiest thing just keep them moist and guve them mould other than that im in a very similar boat to you

LaurenHSR

Arachnopeon
Also, although I very very highly doubt it, would I be able to sell the spiderlings?
I realise this was quite a while ago now, but if you ever find yourself in the same situation I'd be interested in buying! Looking to start up a little colony of Drassodes, so any advice on keeping also very welcome!

The wolf

Arachnolord
I realise this was quite a while ago now, but if you ever find yourself in the same situation I'd be interested in buying! Looking to start up a little colony of Drassodes, so any advice on keeping also very welcome!
My AF just laid a sac

I'd be happy to trade some if you're going to any shows anytime soon

Last edited:

The wolf

Arachnolord
Just re read
Care

Humidity needs to be low,mid humidity won't do them any harm,they're ridiculously hardy,temp should just be room temperature

They eat anything,with a preference to running prey,they're big eaters,like really big eaters but they can go a while with out food

They prefer stones to live inmine is in a 32 oz deli cup filled with well secured large stones,she has webbed up sufficiently and sits out in the open 24/7 super chill and easy sp,they also don't mind eating spiders too

LaurenHSR

Arachnopeon
Just re read
Care

Humidity needs to be low,mid humidity won't do them any harm,they're ridiculously hardy,temp should just be room temperature

They eat anything,with a preference to running prey,they're big eaters,like really big eaters but they can go a while with out food

They prefer stones to live inmine is in a 32 oz deli cup filled with well secured large stones,she has webbed up sufficiently and sits out in the open 24/7 super chill and easy sp,they also don't mind eating spiders too
Amazing! I'm actually in the UK, and not currently a keeper, so these guys would be my first. If you're US based then I guess transport won't be possible without substantial mortality. Thank you though, I really appreciate the care tips!

The wolf

Arachnolord
Amazing! I'm actually in the UK, and not currently a keeper, so these guys would be my first. If you're US based then I guess transport won't be possible without substantial mortality. Thank you though, I really appreciate the care tips!
Just your luck I'm in uk too
I should have a few other sp hatching soon,segestria florentina,amaurobius,eratigena,phiddipus audax

LaurenHSR

Arachnopeon
Just your luck I'm in uk too
I should have a few other sp hatching soon,segestria florentina,amaurobius,eratigena,phiddipus audax
No way! That's awesome, where abouts are you? Would possibly be interested in some Segestria as well actually - would you be willing to sell or are you keen to trade? A colleague of mine has some Parasteatoda if so, I think...