What does it mean when a tarantula poops on your hand?

airserver

Arachnopeon
Is it a warning sign? Just a sign that it's afraid? Or is it they just had to go?
It's happened twice two different T's?
I don't handle them much if that helps.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Is it an Avic?

I believe it's a self defense mechanism.

airserver

Arachnopeon
Nope they are both G Roseas. Does that mean they would bite me right after? One I've had for 1 year and the other is fairly new

goodyt

Arachnosquire
I had a P metallica do it to me when I upgraded the camera flash I used on her. Mind you, she wasn't in my hand at the time. Lol

She did turn to give me the abdomen and proceeded to aim an shoot in my direction as she humphed off.

So, I definitely would suggest it is a universal T defense mechanism. That, or they think of you as a clean water dish. ;)

gobey

Arachnoknight
Ok I'm only about 2 months into keeping tarantulas. So don't take me as the authority here. I'll give you this though because I do nothing but research online, here, YouTube, and have read 4 books including 2 versions of the tarantula keepers guide.

Avcularia species shoot fecal matter as one of their primary self defense mechanisms. The spider is saying "stop trying to kill me!"

But that trait as far as I knew was for that genus.

Rose hairs are not known for this. I do not think I would associate pooping with biting. I've seen my rose hair poo while eating a cricket once.

But rose hairs are known for wildly unpredictable behavior. Mine in just a few weeks went from completely docile to very grumpy and now reacts to everything in her cage as food.

But if your spider isn't showing signs of agitation, or a threat posture, as in raising her front two legs and pedipalps, then I suppose a bite is probably not imminent.

But most people here would probably not actually say rose hairs are a good handling species.

Do both of them poo on you?

This is an interesting one.

airserver

Arachnopeon
Yeah different occasions. I don't handle them much just once in a while. One I've only had for about a month. I put her right back home when she pooed. Lol

ReclusiveDemon

Arachnosquire
The same reason humans poop themselves? What would you do if a 30-story tall giant scooped you up and blew hot air on you?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It's a defensive reaction many animals use, and means you shouldn't be handling it. Would you want Godzilla periodically picking you up? You'd be soiling your underwear too.

Last edited:

gobey

Arachnoknight
It's a sign of good luck in many cultures.
LMAO!

He's got double luck then!

If that's the case my Avic and I are going to start playing together everyday!

That's sarcasm for you super serious folks here lol