So, I've had my first encounter with mold.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I noticed some white spots in my 4 slings enclosures last week. there wasn't a lot but I removed them with a tweezers in case it was mold. I considered that it could be poo so I didn't panic straight away but I did water the substrate less as a pre-caution. Well, my suspicions were right it would seem. While I was concentrating on the substrate I never noticed the white furry mold developing on the walls of the enclosures. Luckily it wasn't a large amount.

I've now put the slings in temporary homes for the night and have thoroughly washed their enclosures with hot water. I also added some more ventilation to them. I will replace the substrate tomorrow and will water less from now on.

Although I don't mist, I drop water onto a side of the substrate every 3 days rotating between the 4 sides each time. It would seem I have been dropping too much water.

Hopefully all will be well after I make the changes.

gobey

Arachnoknight
Good to know. I'm using the dropper strategy too for my first slings. And boy I'd hate to have to go through re housing them until necessary.

cold blood

Staff member
I've now put the slings in temporary homes for the night and have thoroughly washed their enclosures with hot water. I also added some more ventilation to them. I will replace the substrate tomorrow and will water less from now on.
A little mold is not a huge concern, certainly nothing that would require moving the slings or major cleanings. A little mold is not going to hurt the t's. You did the right thing by adding ventilation, proper venting will discourage mold growth. In the future, just remove the mold with the tweezers, like you did, and don't worry so much about it.;) Less moisture+better ventilation=problem solved

GG80

Arachnoknight
A little mold is not a huge concern, certainly nothing that would require moving the slings or major cleanings. A little mold is not going to hurt the t's. You did the right thing by adding ventilation, proper venting will discourage mold growth. In the future, just remove the mold with the tweezers, like you did, and don't worry so much about it.;) Less moisture+better ventilation=problem solved
I just wanted to nip it in the bud now while the slings are still young and start fresh. I was happy enough to remove the mold on the substrate but felt a little concerned about it developing on the sides. Thanks for the advise all the same, it's very appreciated.