Newbie from Oklahoma

Flud

Arachnopeon
Greetings everyone, my Name is Blake and I'm the proud new dad of a young G. Pulchripes. I got her Thursday, August 7th.

She is around 2-2.5" DLS. I was told by the reptile shop that she's probably a female but i learned from another forum that i was grossly miseducated by them and have since decided that i wont get my hopes up.. Too high. ;)

"Her" name is Ariados and I'm quite smitten. She is very docile as of this writing but I don't think she's over the whole ordeal of getting home and rehousing so I think it may be too soon to say as she's not taking food yet.

uploadfromtaptalk1407846675949.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407846687391.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407846743975.jpg

oooo35980

Arachnosquire
Good looking girl, I wouldn't worry too much about the sex. The great thing about these is that even if it's a male it's going to take forever to grow up, so it will be around a pretty long time.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
He/she's a beauty, I just got my first pulchripes, a 3/4". What a pig of an eater! LOL

Welcome to the hobby/addiction, Blake. :)

Rob

Flud

Arachnopeon
Good looking girl, I wouldn't worry too much about the sex. The great thing about these is that even if it's a male it's going to take forever to grow up, so it will be around a pretty long time.
Glad to hear it, as that's why I'd want a female. Longevity. :D

Flud

Arachnopeon
He/she's a beauty, I just got my first pulchripes, a 3/4". What a pig of an eater! LOL

Welcome to the hobby/addiction, Blake. :)

Rob
Didn't realize i had two replies in here! Thanks for the welcome. Did your Pulchripes take to eating immediately after rehousing?

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
Welcome! You pick a great first T. Next up you should get an Oklahoma brown.

Flud

Arachnopeon
Welcome! You pick a great first T. Next up you should get an Oklahoma brown.
Hey, I recognize that username and profile picture! Glad I'm nit the only nerd on more than one T forum. ;)

I'd actually never heard of them until i saw it on somebody's list recently.. Il have to do some research!

And convince my lady... :p :eek:

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Hey blake welcome aboard! I have my 4" G.pulchripes as well and she is a beauty. Hopefully she molts and loses the bald spot from the previous owner :D

Flud

Arachnopeon
Hey blake welcome aboard! I have my 4" G.pulchripes as well and she is a beauty. Hopefully she molts and loses the bald spot from the previous owner :D
Awesome!! I cant wait for my T to get that big! Let's see her!

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
Didn't realize i had two replies in here! Thanks for the welcome. Did your Pulchripes take to eating immediately after rehousing?
Not the same day, but probably within 2-3 days.

Looking forward to watching it grow, and see how big it'll get, probably not as big as my 8.5" LP. :)

Spidergrrl

Arachnopeon
I got my G. pulchripes 13 months ago to the day. At that time she was an itsy bitsy 1/4 inch sling. She is now about 3 inches and from her last molt is a confirmed female. Great spider. Have fun and welcome to the AB.

Cheers,

Spidergrrl (Paula)

Flud

Arachnopeon
Not the same day, but probably within 2-3 days.

Looking forward to watching it grow, and see how big it'll get, probably not as big as my 8.5" LP. :)
I see. It's been six days since Airados was transported and rehoused and she still hasn't eaten. I haven't offered any for 2/3 days though so I think I'll try again tonight.

---------- Post added 08-13-2014 at 11:10 AM ----------

I got my G. pulchripes 13 months ago to the day. At that time she was an itsy bitsy 1/4 inch sling. She is now about 3 inches and from her last molt is a confirmed female. Great spider. Have fun and welcome to the AB.

Cheers,

Spidergrrl (Paula)
Very cool!! I can't wait for "her" first molt.. Color me impatient. Lol

---------- Post added 08-13-2014 at 11:10 AM ----------

And thanks for the warm welcome folks!

Spidergrrl

Arachnopeon
...It's been six days since Airados was transported and rehoused and she still hasn't eaten. I haven't offered any for 2/3 days though so I think I'll try again tonight.
Not to worry. T's will often go extended periods of time without eating. Grammostola rosea are notorious for that (sometimes for months on end!). She might just be stressed or she may be getting ready to molt. Resist the temptation to be overly intrusive with her and she'll be fine.

Spidergrrl (Paula)

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Lovely species! He/she looks beautiful! Good luck and welcome! :)

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Congrats! Grammies are prone to fasting, particularly adults, so you'll have no choice but to acquire more Ts.

Flud

Arachnopeon
Congrats! Grammies are prone to fasting, particularly adults, so you'll have no choice but to acquire more Ts.
Ha! I love your logic, friend! Now if we could just get my fiancé to see the light.. ;)

Thank you very much!

---------- Post added 08-14-2014 at 10:22 AM ----------

Not to worry. T's will often go extended periods of time without eating. Grammostola rosea are notorious for that (sometimes for months on end!). She might just be stressed or she may be getting ready to molt. Resist the temptation to be overly intrusive with her and she'll be fine.

Spidergrrl (Paula)
I'm glad to hear your guys' input, I'm quite anxious in general so I'm glad to hear this. Eases my mind (a little bit lol).

awiec

Arachnoprince
I think a little more sub would ensure no injuries from falls and I know that my G.pulchripes sling loves to dig so perhaps yours may appreciate the extra dirt too. Mine is a total monster when it comes to food, when the roach or cricket is climbing on the T then I know it's in pre-molt which even for a little sling like mine, lasts for 2 months at least. Save the next molt if you can as then you can re-hydrate it to look for female organs, it may be a while these guys can grow slow.

Flud

Arachnopeon
I think a little more sub would ensure no injuries from falls and I know that my G.pulchripes sling loves to dig so perhaps yours may appreciate the extra dirt too. Mine is a total monster when it comes to food, when the roach or cricket is climbing on the T then I know it's in pre-molt which even for a little sling like mine, lasts for 2 months at least. Save the next molt if you can as then you can re-hydrate it to look for female organs, it may be a while these guys can grow slow.
Thanks for the info and input! It just so happens the last time I peeked at her she had a small burrow started! So excited and relieved to see her getting used to her home. I haven't tired to feed for 4-5 days now. I'm 50/50 on my thoughts of her being premolt. She wasn't quite acclimated last time I tried a cricket and she let it walk right in front of her. I'm might be over analyzing but I also think her abdomen has gotten darker.. Time will tell!! :D

awiec

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the info and input! It just so happens the last time I peeked at her she had a small burrow started! So excited and relieved to see her getting used to her home. I haven't tired to feed for 4-5 days now. I'm 50/50 on my thoughts of her being premolt. She wasn't quite acclimated last time I tried a cricket and she let it walk right in front of her. I'm might be over analyzing but I also think her abdomen has gotten darker.. Time will tell!! :D
Probably a good sign then, you can just try once a week to see if she wants food and then just take it out, you make sure she has the opportunity to eat and it's little stress on her. At her size though you can probably get away with 2-3 attempts a month until you know for sure that shes fasting (which they like to do).

Flud

Arachnopeon
Probably a good sign then, you can just try once a week to see if she wants food and then just take it out, you make sure she has the opportunity to eat and it's little stress on her. At her size though you can probably get away with 2-3 attempts a month until you know for sure that shes fasting (which they like to do).
That sounds like a decent plan to me! Definitely takes some of the mystery out of it.. I'll report in when I learn more. :)