Huge beetle larvae

nunoskii

Arachnopeon
Anyone know where I can get huge beetle larvae to use as feeders for tarantulas? I've seen people feed them to their tarantulas and have always wanted to give it a shot and see how they are as feeders. Thanks for looking

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Are you talking about super worms? They are decent feeders and a nice big prey item. Problem is they burrow so I keep an eye on it and if the spider doesn't go for it remove it. I don't want a super worm/beetle popping up and bothering a molting spider.

I'm not from the USA but you can buy them from http://www.flukerfarms.com/livesuperworms.aspx . A lot of pet stores supply them as well.

My spiders also like Butter worms. My bearded dragon didn't care for them but the tarantulas sure liked them. You can also try horn worms and silk worms. All of the above are actually species of caterpillar. Again, pet stores stock them or you can order them online. I don't think silk worms burrow but horn worms and butter worms will if given the chance based on my experience.

nunoskii

Arachnopeon
No not superworms or silk or hornworms, I mean like fig beetle larvae. Like ugly larvae you'd dig up or find in rotting wood lol

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
You'd likely have to find a beetle collector and buy from them. Hopefully from someone that's been breeding the species for multiple generations, and it likely won't be cost effective. There's no feeder stores that supply these buggers and collecting from the wild is too sketchy regardless of species.

A lot of the large Rhino or Atlas beetles are illegal for typical owners to keep in the USA and Canada from what I understand. You'll need a permit to keep them, which will make finding large grubs difficult. But really, Goliath Horn Worms get to a pretty impressive size anyhow and are going to run you a lot less to buy.

I mean look at that monster :D

jaydens beetles

Arachnopeon
beetle larvae

I see, if you live in the U.S. fig beetle larvae arent to hsrd to come by, usally dig in a spot with rich soil and sew how it works out, but i think beetle larvae have better use than feeders.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
They're very easy to breed. Just set out soft stone fruit in a pile in late spring, or early.summer.

Eventually, you'll have hundreds of them clustered all over.

The larvae are easily raised, and will feed on a 'mulch' composed of finely processed dead leaves, oak works just fine.

Of course, they grow fairly slowly,