Safest tarantula?

ety32

Arachnosquire
So...I'm looking for a type of tarantula that would be totally safe for a little 3 years old kid to hold. As in, something that won't bite/sting the kid. Am I just silly to think hat even exist?

awiec

Arachnoprince
All tarantulas will bite if they feel the need. I feel a 3 year old is a very bad person to mix with a large spider with big fangs. Toddlers are excitable and jerk around which can either scare the T so it will bite or the T will fall and be killed. My little brother is 3 and he is even bad to leave with my sisters birds as he will squeeze them and pluck their feathers just cause he don't know better. I was able to have him around my snake as he loved watching it get fed but even then I would not allow him to touch the snake even though a baby sand boa can't do much harm to him. I think the age of 6-7 is when you can start introducing more "exotic" pets but I have a hard time recommending a tarantula to anyone under 13 as the maturity and motor skills are not there in most children. There is a member here who has a little girl (I think shes 10) who is very adept at tarantula care but she is supervised at all times and she is aware of the many risks associated with tarantulas, a 3 year old cannot comprehend that.

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
No such T exists that is "3 year old child proof." Not only is it a risk to bite, there is also a big chance a 3 year old would drop a T and injure/kill it.

cold blood

Staff member
I agree with the rest...and I'll add, tarantulas CANNOT sting, they possess no stinger whatsoever. To properly be able to even a supervise a child around exotic species, you yourself need to be pretty well educated on the subject or you won't be much of a help supervising (the child or the t).;)

Any t that is handled by a 3 year old that survives, I would consider a lucky t.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, no toddler should be trusted with something that fragile. Any tarantula can bite, but I'd say that in this case especially the kid has a better shot at hurting the spider. That said, many tarantulas aren't mature adult proof either.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
not to mention between the bite risk and the drop/crush risk on the part of the T'... what about urticating hairs. Yes, I want my 3 year old to have a persistant itch that really can't be scratched with swelling and discomfort for possibly multiple days. yes yes yes PLEASE!.. :/

---------- Post added 08-17-2014 at 10:43 PM ----------

also, ety32, aren't you the one with the escaped centipede that had been sold to you without it's stinger???? Next you'll be advocating to have a Tarantula's fangs removed. Maybe you can hook up a little leash or something and take it to show and tell yes?

---------- Post added 08-17-2014 at 10:45 PM ----------

URGENTLY need help
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?266464-URGENTLY-need-help

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
not to mention between the bite risk and the drop/crush risk on the part of the T'... what about urticating hairs. Yes, I want my 3 year old to have a persistant itch that really can't be scratched with swelling and discomfort for possibly multiple days. yes yes yes PLEASE!.. :/

---------- Post added 08-17-2014 at 10:43 PM ----------

also, ety32, aren't you the one with the escaped centipede that had been sold to you without it's stinger???? Next you'll be advocating to have a Tarantula's fangs removed. Maybe you can hook up a little leash or something and take it to show and tell yes?

---------- Post added 08-17-2014 at 10:45 PM ----------

URGENTLY need help
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?266464-URGENTLY-need-help
wow thanks foir pointing this out rat i thought id seen him post alot in all forums including the missing scorp but didnt give it two thoughts... but poionting out that without a stinger bit... kinda settles wrong with me.. then not only does he claim someone sold him the abused animal "doesnt know who it was".. people like this need to be tought something imho...

first you but a maimed scorp? which was preg? [probably on purpose a gravid scorp is obvious compared to a fat one] and not just a single one but a few [tho others sex we dk] now you want a T for a 3yr old.. which would probably be better off with a gold fish or a cat [and idk about that even] smh... woow...

--added----
and not only did he claim he get her in the mail and she had babies but here is from his post befor that..

7-29-2014 09:57 PM #1
Arachnopeon
Question Centruroides noxius
Tomorrow I'll be receiving serveral Centruroides Noxius and.... I need help....

I find no information about them on internet besides the fact they are extremely venomous.

They were born not so long ago. On the pictures they still seemed kinda white/grey.

Right now, they are eating the mother, therefore they won't have her to feed them.

------------------------------------------

how did he get the female with a removed stinger if he got babies instead? gah this kid... *shakes head*

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
3 years of age is way to young to be holding a venomous animal.

Such a small body can react VERY badly to envenomation.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
wow thanks foir pointing this out rat i thought id seen him post alot in all forums including the missing scorp but didnt give it two thoughts... but poionting out that without a stinger bit... kinda settles wrong with me.. then not only does he claim someone sold him the abused animal "doesnt know who it was".. people like this need to be tought something imho...

first you but a maimed scorp? which was preg? [probably on purpose a gravid scorp is obvious compared to a fat one] and not just a single one but a few [tho others sex we dk] now you want a T for a 3yr old.. which would probably be better off with a gold fish or a cat [and idk about that even] smh... woow...
yeah, I'm so steamed LOL I HATE finding stuff like this because impotent rage is just that when on the interwebs. There is pretty much NOTHING that can be done about the situation. I get the feeling ety32 is young and maybe, just maybe just doesn't know any better. The next few days/weeks while this person learns or even attempts to learn why stuff like this is not a good idea will go a long way to alleviate some of the frustration bleh!! :mad::wall::wall::wall::wall:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
yeah, I'm so steamed LOL I HATE finding stuff like this because impotent rage is just that when on the interwebs. There is pretty much NOTHING that can be done about the situation. I get the feeling ety32 is young and maybe, just maybe just doesn't know any better. The next few days/weeks while this person learns or even attempts to learn why stuff like this is not a good idea will go a long way to alleviate some of the frustration bleh!! :mad::wall::wall::wall::wall:
hah see what i edited to the post that makes me think hes like 20 yr old kid [well i have no room to talk] who is uneducated and wants to have a kool dangerous pet... cant keep his story strait -.-

Ashton

Arachnoknight
Wait...What?! I feel like there should be several factors going into holding any Ts like how you react to other venoms and bites, age, size, and reaction towards things that jump or other situations. there are plenty of little cousins I have that are fascinated, but not allowed to touch anything. I also think the bigger cousins and aunts, uncles, parents, ect. are more of a risk because some have the thought process of "How bad can I be?" or "I poked it with this paintbrush and it didn't bite so it must be fine." So I have my 2 'display' Ts that exhibit opposite behavior; one will try to eat your hand while the other is as docile as can be. Those are both used to prove that you can't be sure a T is "nice." I won't let anyone hold my Ts but me and only if it is necessary. Another factor that is huge is that you almost or may have lost a rather venomous scorp. shows you should not be handling or coming close to having something dangerous until you are responsible enough to not lose something or buy something venomous on impulse unless you know about it first.

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
No, there is no T (or really any critter---but particularly not a venomous fragile animal) that any child (particularly not a toddler) should be holding.

Furthermore, if you've indeed lost a scorpion (and a pretty potent species at that) then you aren't ready to handle any T---easy species or not. Let's not even talk about the sketchiness and changing stories...but the fact that you bought a maimed animal and don't seem to know your basics sets off red flags for me. Scorpions don't exactly teleport---this is not a poecilotheria etc who's going to skitter and could even manage to make a run for it with the most experienced keepers.
This was a 'someone isn't paying enough attention'.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
couldnt you just like take a bit of sponge and stick it to the aculeus? :D

Some scorpions are really really really fast. Paruroctonus and smeringerus are speed demons, plus they'll charge you. Very very quick to sting whatever comes near them.

ety32

Arachnosquire
Guys, rlly... My friend is asking me for something such as an arachnid/lizard for his bday and he has a little girl that is 3 years old. I just wanted to check if any tarentula would be good, but instead I get you bashing on me because of a scorpion that I received as a gift from someone who knew nothingggg about scorpions? And, no the scorpion never escaped...if you had taken time to read the post, you would have seen that I found the scorpion inside a tiny hole in a branch of its viv. I never expected it to be able to get out of the viv. ,but I got worried as I couldn't find it.

Now stop wasting your energy bashing on my head and go ID my scorp.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?266182-centuroides-identification

So far, I have 4 choices, centuroides noxius, suffusus, vittatus and ornatus.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Guys, rlly... My friend is asking me for something such as an arachnid/lizard for his bday and he has a little girl that is 3 years old. I just wanted to check if any tarentula would be good, but instead I get you bashing on me because of a scorpion that I received as a gift from someone who knew nothingggg about scorpions? And, no the scorpion never escaped...if you had taken time to read the post, you would have seen that I found the scorpion inside a tiny hole in a branch of its viv. I never expected it to be able to get out of the viv. ,but I got worried as I couldn't find it.

Now stop wasting your energy bashing on my head and go ID my scorp.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?266182-centuroides-identification

So far, I have 4 choices, centuroides noxius, suffusus, vittatus and ornatus.

with mindless questions you will always get bashing.. tbh i dont think even a leopard gecko would be suitable for a child of that age. only thing id trust my friends 3yr or even 4yr old with is feeding my fish.. and then they overfeed them. and it gives me more maintenance weekly. and as said kids shoudlnt be with animals. last thing youd want is a 3 legged gecko or a dead animal from them squeezing it.. iv had cousins kid whos now 5[was 4 at time] kill a hamster.. the kid was unsupervised and got in the cage hamster squirmed and he held tighter.. and the circle whent on till the teddybear hamster was dead...granted yes the kid was holding it so it didnt fall possibly but it still resulted in a death..

ety32

Arachnosquire
Its more about...the adult holding it and the kid can pat it.

Overreacting people = neverending posts that could end in 1 answer.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
I know a really good species for this! Its a mexican plastic birdeater! I have one like that and its a really calm species!! :D image.jpg

Last edited:

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A very knowlegeable keeper might facilitate proper hands on interaction between a mature, animal savvy 3 year old and certain individual spiders. Just as not all spiders are created equal, nor are all 3 year olds. The average or inexperienced keeper and the average 3 year old? Absolutely not. I wouldn't risk the health or well being of either the two legged or the eight legged. There are some adults I wouldn't allow near my spiders, in the best interests of the spiders.
Pet a spider? Read up on urticating hairs. Petting is not recommended.