Avicularia Species

UrbanTarantulas

Arachnopeon
Was wondering if anyone can identify this species.

It was purchased as a "while caught" Avic Metallica.... but I was under the impression that metallicas don't carry that pinkish abdomen... It kind of looks like an Urticans, but hairs aren't as long as my other urticans when comparing.

I have googled countless times, but I cannot seem to find a good website that compares most avics, notes the differences etc. Any help with this genus would help me out a lot since I'm becoming more and more interested in this genus.

Thanks in advance,

-jack

Attachments

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i cant id im bad with T ids.. but give it a few hours and fuzzyavic will kick in ;) i dont think there is an avic he/she aint kept

only thing i CAN say is if thats his/her container.. id upgrade as soon as yesterday thats like a shipping container for an arboreal[well any T realy] that sized :)

Gpappy31

Arachnopeon
looks exactly like mine which is an avic. avic. And get her/him in a bigger enclosure.

JohnDapiaoen

Arachnobro
Old Timer
You're gonna get a mix of answers here buddy. The avicularia genus is in a bit of an unorganized mess. In addition to that many Avicularia look similar to some people, such common confusions are Avicularia avicularia and Avicularia metallica. I've seen people compare their Avics claiming "It looks exactly like mine" *shows a pic of completely different looking spider*. Then I get irritated at people neglecting to pay attention to the finer details of their spider. NOT just the pink toes.

Yours has frosted hairs and a very metallic green sheen to it, so in my honest opinion it would be an Avicularia sp. "metallica green". Avicularia avicularia has noticeable red abdominal hairs and little to no frosting on the legs. But don't take my words for it as I could be just as confused as the rest.

-JohnD.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It doesn't look my female A metallica. I'm not saying it isn't one. Mine doesn't have any shade of red on it, except its pink toes.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm not an Avic expert, but it looks like metallica to me, which are still being brought in w/c.

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a very sexy avicularia metallica sp.green!!! I'm assuming she's a female. Only metallica have the "snow caped" hairs!!!!! She's definitely not an avicularia sp. Kwitara. I'll post pictures of both :)

UrbanTarantulas

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply guys.... I appreciate the input.
To me, if I were to guess i' would have gone with an Urticans, when comparing the long pinkish hairs with my other Urticans... Its hard to tell in photos, but theres a lot of pink going on there.... Possibly a hybrid of some sort?

I did acquire a MM A. Metallica that I wanted to pair with, but they just didn't seem interested. They weren't violent in any way towards one another, but definitely no tapping or show of interest... after several attempts.

The MM A. Metallica also has darker coloring compared to this particular T. Oh Avicularia genus.... why so cruel.

Any of you guys care to post a few Urticans juveniles pictures? Metallica pictures? No good reference sites out there that anyone knows of?

thanks in advance,

-jack

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a very sexy avicularia metallica sp.green!!! I'm assuming she's a female. Only metallica have the "snow caped" hairs!!!!! She's definitely not an avicularia sp. Kwitara. I'll post pictures of both :)
That's not true at all. A. huriana, aka Ecuadorian Wooly, has white tipped setae as well.

Here's a pic of my female A. metallica, she has always had these color/pattern. Poec is right, they are still bringing in WC metallicas. Mine is really brightly colored compared to many I have seen.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks for the reply guys.... I appreciate the input.
To me, if I were to guess i' would have gone with an Urticans, when comparing the long pinkish hairs with my other Urticans... Its hard to tell in photos, but theres a lot of pink going on there.... Possibly a hybrid of some sort?

I did acquire a MM A. Metallica that I wanted to pair with, but they just didn't seem interested. They weren't violent in any way towards one another, but definitely no tapping or show of interest... after several attempts.
For the love of God, if you don't know the species with 100% certainty, you should absolutely NOT be attempting to breed it. There's no positive in creating hybrids. I would avoid breeding this spider is I were you!!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For the love of God, if you don't know the species with 100% certainty, you should absolutely NOT be attempting to breed it. There's no positive in creating hybrids. I would avoid breeding this spider is I were you!!
I was going to say the same thing. Why is this guy even trying to create HYBRID FRANKENSPIDERS and then sell hybrids (suspect at best, likely at worst) and CONTAMINATE the hobby??????????????????????????????????????????? Gee, how nice of him, and completely irresponsible. Way to think about the hobby, and only think about yourself Jack.

After reading that, I wouldn't buy a thing from him or anyone else w/that mentality.

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia metallica

Hey! Viper69 you state, "Avicularia Species It doesn't look my female A metallica. I'm not saying it isn't one. Mine doesn't have any shade of red on it, except its pink toes."

Now the original A. metallica in the hobby years ago had white toes and you stated yours Viper has "pink toes". With that stated the A. mettalica hobby form today is seen with pinkish white toes like you stated your has Viper. This in fact would not be the true A. metallica from years ago, but is the A. mettalica in the hobby today. In the thread page 2 Chad "Advan" was asked to contribute by Poec54 and here is a post he had in 2011 with the same information I have shared http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...u-guys-think&p=1804297&viewfull=1#post1804297 His Avicularia metallica also looks very similar to Jacks.

Therefore, Jacks Avicularia metallica was sold as that, it looks like the hobby form now of A. metallica, and he can breed it as that is what it is. No need for accusation as he was always just asking for clarity I.M.O.

Now here is a link of a photo of my old Avicularia metallica http://exoskeletoninverts.com/wp-content/gallery/tarantulas/avicularia-metallica-f.jpg Hope this helps a bit to clarify this issue. Jack, what you have is a Avicularia metallica!

Jose

Last edited:

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
*sits here and patiently waits for Dr. Fukushima's Avicularia genus revision*

(which may actually kick one of the few reliably recognizable species out of the genus)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
looks exactly like mine which is an avic. avic. And get her/him in a bigger enclosure.
A. avicularia doesn't have white satae, but red and without white hair-tips usually ;). Not to mention that A. avicularia are usually fully grown around 4", while metallica can get up to around 6" to my knowledge.

As for the OP:

In Germany we have "two versions" of "A. metallica" - the reason I put those words into " is simply that I don't want to be the judge of what's right, or wrong. Fact is, however, that (again - to my knowledge, correct if wrong) the A. metallica we have in mind when talking about this species is from Suriname. There is, however, another one from Guyana (which is home to other species) that looks slightly different. For one, not that blueish, but deep green. Still has the white satae, has pink feet however.

Who knows? Maybe those forms got mixed up way back - I can't tell. Just saying what I see and read. It's the reason why certain breeders over here lable Avicularia spp. with their origin in addition - if known. It's more accurate than the species (except for very few exceptions that can't be mistaken).

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia sp. mess!

*sits here and patiently waits for Dr. Fukushima's Avicularia genus revision*

(which may actually kick one of the few reliably recognizable species out of the genus)
Avicularia sp. mess!
You are 100% correct Hydrazine. I can't wait as well to see the revision, abstracts, photos, etc... by Dr. Bertani & or Dr. Fukushima. I have dabbled in threads on confusion in species such as Acanthascuria fracta, Brachypelma baumgarteni, Poecilotheria subfusca Lowland/Highland, but none are as confusing as Avicularia.

Off the top of my head: Avicularia sp. boa vista, isla margarita, kwitara, tarapoto,Ecuador, Colombia, Peru purple, pakuri, pucallpa, amazonica manaus. Avicularia sp. metallica "Suriname" "Guyana", sooretama, gamba, lamarack, purpurea, urticans, diversipes, minatrix, bicegoi, ancylochira, aymara, versicolor, hurriana, hirschi, aurantiaca, ulrichae, amazonica, juruensis etc.............................

Are you kidding me....I would love to see some order to the chaos, but this 6 year wait for clarification of all is vexing.......

Some interesting reading, but I am sure it has been posted before:

http://novataxa.blogspot.com/2012/12/2009-avicularia-atlantic-forest-brazil.html

http://users.telenet.be/vogelspin/Avicularia/Caroline_Fukushima_english.pdf

Last edited: