Orange T?

sarahh

Arachnopeon
I have a bright orange tarantula that's about 1.5" or so and I cannot for the LIFE of me figure out what it was. And unfortunately I can't get a good pic at the moment. I'm positive it's not an OBT, it doesn't carry any of the markings of one other than the orange coloration and I thought maybe it could be a Selenobrachys buuuuuut I'm thinking otherwise.
My question basically is, does anyone know of any other bright orange Ts? :alien:
Oh and also! I have five unknown tarantulas, I knew what I was getting into cause I did it on purpose. They were only $5 and I deal with both NW and OW species so I didn't really care what I bought :) this one just has me really stumped haha.

sarahh

Arachnopeon
That's exactly what I had been thinking, but I know nothing about that species. Is it a dwarf species?? Because like I said this one is around 1.5" and briiiight orange, and I know most slings don't reach adult coloration until they're a little bigger than that.

sarahh

Arachnopeon
Oh awesome :D well if it is an S. philippinus I won't be disappointed. I guess I'll have to just watch it grow haha.
Thank you ^-^!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Posting a photo would help tons, just describing it will not be able to give you a proper ID.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Are there any other markings on it besides it being orange? H. sp Columbia have adult coloration even among their first instars and T.gigas and some avics are very orange when young. There is also a Filipino tarantula that is bright orange but I'm not sure what they look like as slings. You don't even need a good camera a phone pic will help us eliminate suspects.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Perhaps a Selenobrachy philippinus?
Orphnaecus philippinus is bright orange at a small size. They have very short fur and skinny legs; look very different than P murinus. Orphnaecus are extremely fast; keep that in mind every time you open the cage. They can be out and across the floor in the blink of an eye. They'll sit motionless and then explode into a blur (as some Asians do). My girls are a couple years old and 4+" (I got them as slings). Check out some pics online.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Orphnaecus philippinus is bright orange at a small size. They have very short fur and skinny legs; look very different than P murinus. Orphnaecus are extremely fast; keep that in mind every time you open the cage. They can be out and across the floor in the blink of an eye. They'll sit motionless and then explode into a blur (as some Asians do). My girls are a couple years old and 4+" (I got them as slings). Check out some pics online.
Thats the one I was thinking of. I did some digging and some people were arguing that Selenobrachy philippinus is an outdated name so perhaps it's the same as the orphna?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Thats the one I was thinking of. I did some digging and some people were arguing that Selenobrachy philippinus is an outdated name so perhaps it's the same as the orphna?
Right, obsolete name for Orphnaecus.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Right, obsolete name for Orphnaecus.
Then the OP is very lucky, this genus is awesome and fast as you mentioned.

To OP:
These guys like to dig, have moist sub, are fast and can be shy. Of course because they are Asian Ts they probably have potent venom like pokies do. My O. sp Panay Blue (different species of course) is very pretty when I get to see it so I'm sure you will enjoy yours as well.

sarahh

Arachnopeon
You guys are awesome! I'm so sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I can't get a picture, tried this morning and it just hides. But I tried to look as closely as possible at the details. It's definitely not an arboreal species, it's got a body build of that of a terrestrial. And it does have skinny legs, if you look closely on the legs also there's are tiny thin black lines. I wouldn't have seen them if I hadn't really looked. And the abdomen has some dark markings as well that are extremely subtle. It does move very quickly and its a voracious eater also.
Thank you everyone for all of the help :)!

awiec

Arachnoprince
You guys are awesome! I'm so sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I can't get a picture, tried this morning and it just hides. But I tried to look as closely as possible at the details. It's definitely not an arboreal species, it's got a body build of that of a terrestrial. And it does have skinny legs, if you look closely on the legs also there's are tiny thin black lines. I wouldn't have seen them if I hadn't really looked. And the abdomen has some dark markings as well that are extremely subtle. It does move very quickly and its a voracious eater also.
Thank you everyone for all of the help :)!
Orphaecus are terrestrial expect for o. Sp Panay blue, they have a very sleek look as you are describing.

sarahh

Arachnopeon
When I looked up the O. philippinus it looked basically exactly like that. But it looks like mines got more bristles on the legs and still the very subtle markings on the abdomen, and a tad darker in coloration. It could be about to molt, not sure.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I discovered my Orphnaecus girls just shed. They're close to 5" now, and one is over that. Being that they're 2 years old, I'm sure they'll continue to grow. The fur is extremely short, so they seem smaller than they really are.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
My discovered Orphnaecus girls just shed. They're close to 5" now, and one is over that. Being that they're 2 years old, I'm sure they'll continue to grow. The fur is extremely short, so they seem smaller than they really are.
I've noted that these seem to be fast growers, my O. sp Panay Blue is probably close to a year old (I've only had it for 8 months) and had gone from 1 inch to 2.5 inches with the latest molt giving it more hairs and a bulky body.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I've noted that these seem to be fast growers, my O. sp Panay Blue is probably close to a year old (I've only had it for 8 months) and had gone from 1 inch to 2.5 inches with the latest molt giving it more hairs and a bulky body.
I've got some of the Orphnaecus Blue slings Chad Campbell bred, and they're growing at a good clip (is that the species you have?). They were tiny initially, and now are eating much larger crickets. I love the retreats they make with silk and substrate. That's one of the things I like about OW's: on average, they're much more industrious than many NW's.