best T to start breeding?

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Hey there everyone. :)
I am thinking ahead here, probably a year or two into the future but I really would like to breed Tarantulas. I would eventually really like to breed a species eventually that is not very plentiful not for the money aspects, I think overall breeding T's is probably not exactly a way to make your millions lol, but what species would be the best ones to breed with the goal of making a wider availability in the hobby? I'm hoping I'm making sense lol, I can't seem to get it out just right.

I'm thinking I would probably have to start with a fairly easy one, maybe a Grammastola sp. but honestly I have no idea where to go with species breeding as I gain knowledge and experience. I'm just kind of mulling over the idea. As I said, I'm not really planning any breeding for a year or two, unless I can find a female for my MM G. rosea lol However, I would like to kind of plan out a "plan of attack" as it were. If I'm wanting to breed, a more difficult one in 5 years after 3 years of an easier species then I think maybe getting some slings of the appropriate species is definitely on my list of "things to do" within the next year.

Anyways, just kind of kicking it around a bit.

Thanx for any input. :)

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well based on supply and demand, the easiest to breed are probably the cheapest ones available (to a degree). Then the ones that need expanding are the most expensive, like M. balfouri or P. metallica

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would suggest an avicularia sp. most of the species have small sacs and are highly lovable in the hobby!!! I would say easy their to breed plus the avicularia genus has the best mother's in the hobby! I never worry about my females eating their sacs. Avicularia avicularia is an awesome beginner or avicularia versicolor. Avicularia versicolor was my first and there's never enough of these fuzz balls!!!!!!

After you breed an easy species then go for minatrix or purpurea. These amazing avics only have between 15-40 babies per sac. The Only downfall to breeding avicularia is that males are a b**** to find and most people wont give their males up. :/

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
One species that is always in demand is A.veriscolor, they have a very strong presence in the hobby but they always seem to sell well. P.metallica is in no danger of going out of the hobby as everyone breeds them and they are a potent spider so perhaps not the best to start off with. M.balfouri is not a bad idea as they are in high demand and are considered "calm" OW, not sure how easy they are to breed though. Personally I would like to see more G.ihringi and G. sp Maule in the hobby, its going to take some time before they are breeding ready if you buy slings now but these go in and out of the hobby every couple of years. If you have the deep pockets then basically anything from the Harpacia genus will be hot.

Dwarf species are always a good choice too as their egg sacs are small so there are less babies to sell and thus higher demand. I have heard that H. sp Columbia (Pumpkin Patch) both Large and Small are very ready breeders and they mature in a few years so that would fit your criteria. If you want to go an OW route then H.gabonensis and H.villosella are good choices too.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Breed something that the hobby needs and there's a demand for. The market's saturated with slings of L parahybana, G rosea, P murinus, etc. Pick something else.

I don't how old you are, but you might be an old man before you get much going on breeding with your time tables. I've been back in the hobby 2 years, and have hatched out about 30 sacs (10 species). Why wait?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
If you made A. ezendami more available I think I'd love you forever

Well then, you'll really love me (geez, I'm hoping you're a female). I hatched out 2 ezendami sacs last year, and currently have 2 fresh MM's and half a dozen adult females.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I would suggest an avicularia sp. most of the species have small sacs and are highly lovable in the hobby!!! I would say easy their to breed plus the avicularia genus has the best mother's in the hobby! I never worry about my females eating their sacs. Avicularia avicularia is an awesome beginner or avicularia versicolor. Avicularia versicolor was my first and there's never enough of these fuzz balls!!!!!!

After you breed an easy species then go for minatrix or purpurea. These amazing avics only have between 15-40 babies per sac. The Only downfall to breeding avicularia is that males are a b**** to find and most people wont give their males up. :/
minatrix and purpea are both actually pretty high on my wish list anyway. I'm thinking I might get a ten or 12 lot of each slings. Finances and husband permitting lol. That number of slings should furnish at least a couple of females. I know the males will typically mature faster so maybe send the males as they mature out for fifty/fifty arrangements.

Food for thought. Several of the other suggestions were tempting too

I appreciate all the feed back. :) As to my age, I'm 38. As for becoming an old man, I don't think that will happen... Lol!

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome and good choices. Avicularia adults are expensive and hard to find. I don't recommend breeding siblings anyway and be careful with 50/50s.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
Awesome and good choices. Avicularia adults are expensive and hard to find. I don't recommend breeding siblings anyway and be careful with 50/50s.
Maybe 5 each from one breeder/source and 5 each of another. 10 slings per orde and spaced about 6 months apart, availability and shipping weather permitting maybe then.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love Theraphosa. After I redo my big girls enclosure and she molts I want to breed T. stirmi.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Maybe 5 each from one breeder/source and 5 each of another. 10 slings per orde and spaced about 6 months apart, availability and shipping weather permitting maybe then.
Males will always mature faster than their sisters so it is a natural mechanism for inbreeding prevention. Now if you are interested in breed your own females with males I'd say get another batch of slings when your females are around 2 years old or are subadults. This way your male and female should be mature at the same time.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I'm all ready to start buying my first batch of slings lol but my husband is not so excited. To be fair, we are currently living in one bedroom. I, we, live with a friend of mine. She is wheel chair bound and I am basically her primary caregiver. We don't have very much room to work with but I think we could make it work lol. I will pester him for a while. I know him well enough to know he'll get excited as he starts seeing it in action. Wish me luck.. ;)

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well then, you'll really love me (geez, I'm hoping you're a female). I hatched out 2 ezendami sacs last year, and currently have 2 fresh MM's and half a dozen adult females.
19 year old dude. Tough luck.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I'm all ready to start buying my first batch of slings lol but my husband is not so excited. To be fair, we are currently living in one bedroom. I, we, live with a friend of mine. She is wheel chair bound and I am basically her primary caregiver. We don't have very much room to work with but I think we could make it work lol. I will pester him for a while. I know him well enough to know he'll get excited as he starts seeing it in action. Wish me luck.. ;)
Well you can certainly try for just 5 slings as the general ratio is get 3 slings to have a good chance for the gender you want. I can fit all 20 of my spiders on a 4 foot book shelf so 5 should not take up that much room.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's not a lot of G. pulchra, and definitely not G. iheringi either. Nor are there a lot of E. sp. Red/Yellows, BUT those are slowing growing species.

Avics are a good choice in the sense that they are fast growing and short lived relative to some other NWs. I'd go with minatrix myself OR, if I was you, I'd go with A. hurianna they are really hard to find lately.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
There's not a lot of G. pulchra, and definitely not G. iheringi either. Nor are there a lot of E. sp. Red/Yellows, BUT those are slowing growing species.

Avics are a good choice in the sense that they are fast growing and short lived relative to some other NWs. I'd go with minatrix myself OR, if I was you, I'd go with A. hurianna they are really hard to find lately.

wow, the iheringi's are pretty. Colorful enough, but those hurianna's are cute little fuzzballs.. LOL!