my LP's feces is brown and wet?

titanT

Arachnosquire
i was changing my enclosure setup for my lasiodora parahybana so I stored him in a plastic cricket tub, (the large tubs you get from pet shop). i gave him 5 adult criks since its feeding day which he snapped up straight away while i was watching, no harm came to him from the cricks, but theres a good size brown liquid puddle in there the next day, (took a day to change the setup) could this be cricket blood or tarantula feces, does it have an upset stomach or something on those lines? never sprayed the tub either, no photo's sorry, my T is 4.75 inches, the puddle was about 1 cm wide, anyone have any ideas... thanks

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Hopefully it is just cricket juice. Is there any on the T or is it just on the substrate?

titanT

Arachnosquire
Alright skippydude, no there's no brown liquid on the T's abdomen, the spider seems fine too exploring his new setup, i thought it might be cricket blood but it just seems like to much liquid, the puddle would probaly be more than all the criks blood combined..lol. Unless it could be alot of digestive juices too but i highly dought it. Could it be sick mybe.. im not sure. It was quite a dark brown though. If he usually makes these puddles i wouldnt know because it would absorb into the substrate (coconut fibre), ive just thought now maybe i gave him an ill/dieing cricket mybe... but the crickets is great on veg (lettice, carrot +apple) & protien (cat and dog food mix) every week and never had a problem b4, use to breed them succesfully on this diet so i dont think the cricks diet is the probem, could he of regergetated the food back up to make such a big puddle.... this is a mystery to solve..ha... thx for the input skip

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
One thing I have noticed from having to keep one of my ts on paper towels is that it's feces is more brownish/clear than white until it dries. I think we just don't notice the color because most of the substrate that is used is brown and absorbent. I just changed the paper towel today, ill see if I can find it in the trash and post a pic of it.

EDIT:

The lumpy stuff in the center is a bolus ( my spider currently cannot make them into a ball) The spot that is on the lower left is feces.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

titanT

Arachnosquire
Cheers oumriel, thats an interesting thought, ive always seen it as white but without a difinitive ansaw i wont no for sure, but thx for putting my mind at rest knowing im not the only one with this problem, if it is a problem and not normal, the colour looks almost the same as the feces on the paper towel, thx for picture and help

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Looking at that picture and you pointing out lower-left is feces - looks totally normal to me. My T's occasionally poop more beige, even slightly brownish, nothing to worry about. I'm assuming it's the same as with us: Depends on what you eat :D

titanT

Arachnosquire
Alright storm, yeah just noticed there is a blob of white feces on the paper towel, but my ts puddle was silky smooth, with no white blob to be seen, which is why i think its odd.. its got a case of the squirts..lol

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Alright storm, yeah just noticed there is a blob of white feces on the paper towel, but my ts puddle was silky smooth, with no white blob to be seen, which is why i think its odd.. its got a case of the squirts..lol
Unless the T behaves in whatever way not normal, I wouldn't worry. If you want to you keep an eye on it if it worries you and just check if given other prey the result is the same? But that's as far as I would think I'd go. Again, personally, I wouldn't worry unless the T shows additional signs that something might be wrong.

titanT

Arachnosquire
Cheers for the help, unless exploring his new setup isn't normal his behaviour seems to be fine:happy: