T behaviour around plug in mouse deterrent

fomor

Arachnopeon
I noticed a change in my G. pulchripes' behaviour when one of those high frequency mouse deterrent plugs was used in the room with her.
Soon after the plug was switched on she left her burrow and walked slowly along the edge of the tank closest to the plug. She eventually settled at the closest point to the plug she could reach and stood up against the side to wait. After I noticed this I turned the plug off and haven't used it since. She returned to her burrow about fifteen minutes after the plug was removed.

The thing is I have noticed similar behaviour when I leave the box containing her prey next to her tank. She will roam and stand up against the glass next to the roach box and just wait.

This makes me wonder if the frequency produced by the plug in any way resembles stridulation by prey insects, eliciting a hunting response from the T. Of course the whole thing could have just been a big ol' coinkidink and I'm spouting poppycock once again.

I'm curious though about whether anyone here has noticed similar responses to products like this one or other high frequency noises. I'm not even sure Ts can detect high frequency sound. I'd be very pleased to see any research on the topic if it exists.

I won't be allowing the thing near the T again as her comfort is top priority while she is in my care.

Micrathena

Arachnoknight
Interesting. Maybe you're right about the device sounding like food to them, I'm sure Ts notice a lot of vibrations that humans can't (though I actually do hear those mouse deterrents). This would make a very interesting experiment to try.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Considering T's act on vibration and not sound, the device could be causing a continuous vibrating sensation maybe? It's probably irritating the T and she tried to determine if it would be food, or something else. Personally I wouldn't use it again anywhere in that room.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
I have seen my b. Smithi do this a few times when I had the cricket container next to his enclosure. It definitely seemed to me like he knew food was right there but didn't know how to get to it.

fomor

Arachnopeon
I did check (in a different room) and I can hear a faint whine from the device myself. Makes me think the T may be able to detect it too. As I said, I'm not going to expose her to the thing again.

The whole thing makes me wonder about their ability to differentiate between vibrations created by distant prey and those which may appear similar. For instance there are several accounts of Ts attacking a water dish while it is being filled. Granted that could also be a response to a perceived threat.
Such fascinating creatures. It's the little things I notice like this which make me glad the hobby exists.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I purposely put prey in a bag and leave it up against some of the cages, it gets my burrowers to pop out of their holes so I know they are hungry and aboreals will get into position and wait for me to feed them. Spiders can be trained via tuning forks to come to a certain place on their web for food so it's not surprising that she could feel the vibrations especially if it was hitting the cage and thus transferring to the sub and then the T's feet.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Well first thise things dont work just imo i used to have one b4 i got rats and never thiught about it and both field mice lived in my room and my rats comfortably for the 2months b4 i remembered it. tho i did get quite annoyed by the whine

Anywho sounds are vibrations in the air anywho..so it doesnt shock me she felt it. Sence its high frequency it moves just as fast as pray id immagine as it wouldnt be the same frequency as u trekking thru the woods.(louder and probably alot slower)

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Considering T's act on vibration and not sound, the device could be causing a continuous vibrating sensation maybe? It's probably irritating the T and she tried to determine if it would be food, or something else. Personally I wouldn't use it again anywhere in that room.
Well technically sound IS just another type of vibration, so in a sense they DO react to the sound, just not in the sense we do.