Collections & Cash

Grey

Arachnopeon
Lets stimulate some conversation shall we?

So what is your collection like?
Gigantic (150+ TS)
Large (75+TS)
Medium (30+TS)
Small (15- TS)

What's the ratio of old world to new worlds?

What's the ratio of arboreals to Territorials to fossorials?

Including every cent that you spent on TS (shipping, cages, feed ect) how much do you think you've spent in your lifetime? Much less than a dog owner I'm sure, haha. Obviously this is just an estimation but whatever, you get the point.

awiec

Arachnoprince
The word you are looking for is terrestrial (lives on the ground) but it means pretty much the same thing as fossorial (burrower), so what you want to say is aboreal (sky or tree living). As for me I'm at 19 spiders so I'd considered mine a small but varied collection. I've probably spent around 700 on spiders where 80 of that was shipping. I've learned now just to pick stuff up from shows or buy from smaller breeders on AB who can ship for 10-20 dollars. While that does seem like a lot of money I have more high roller species and a few that I bought as adults so I could have saved 150 if I would have got sling versions instead. My list is as follows and is roughly organized in the order I got them:

A.versicolor
T.gigas
G.pulchripes
P.regalis
H.sp Columbia Large
P.metallica
P.vittata
P. sp Platyomma
P. sp Panay Blue
P.muticus
C.darlingi
A.anax (now deceased)
P. sp Purple
N.chromatus
E.murinus
GBB
2x G.ihringi
T.cyaneolum
M.balfouri

My ratio is 13 terrestrial to 6 arboreal, even if my Panay Blue didn't get the arboreal memo and 7 OW to 12 NW. I don't have a preference for a certain type of spider, I just find one I like/can take care of and get it.

Sasquatch

Arachnopeon
I started off with a B. Boehmei that i got from a reptile show. 8 Months later i bought a GBB, Nhandu Chromatus, and an OBT. All are slings. Loving the hobby so far. Only about $240 in so far with cost of Ts and cages. Used to be in the reptile hobby. I love the Ts because I've learned alot from them, theres so many different kinds, and they take up much less space.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Between T's and housing only around $100 so far. Steralite tubs and deli cups keep things cheap. 24 T's (25th on its way). 17 arboreal, 8 terrestrials. 7 ow, 18 nw.

sandybanjo

Arachnopeon
I have 20 adults, juvis, and slings in my collection (see profile and images). So far I've spent about $450 on them plus enclosures, some of which are commercially produced. I've finally reached my limit, though on the collection, excepting future babies, of course.

jdl

Arachnosquire
What is 300 plus tarantulas considered? My woman and I have spent around 5000.00 or so on all the spider stuff. We have over thirty species. In the nineties I had about the same amount into my collection. So in all around 10,000 total spent and still counting.

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
B. Smithi (3)
A. avicularia (2)
1 G. Rosea
1 chromatopelma cyanopubescens
1 grammostola pulchripes
1 acanthoscurria geniculata
mastigoproctus giganteus (3)
aphonopelma hentzi (2)
aphonopelma chalcodes (2)
1 ceratogyrus marshalli
heterometrus longimanus (7)
lasiodora parahybana (2)

it's 1 old world, 13 new world
2 arboreal, 1 fossorial, 10 terrestrial

I believe I've spent around $450-500 on the whole thing. I got some great deals on the B. Smithis, which saved me about $100-150

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldn't like to guess at the amount spent on everything but my total cost of t's is £550 or around $800 my collection contains 15 new world only t's this time around, my collection isn't about quantity its more about quality here they are.
B.Emelia
B.Verdezi
B.smithi
B.annitha
G.pulchra
G.iheringi
P.parvula
Paraphysa sp north
Gbb
Aphonopelma serratum
C.fasciatum
Euathlus sp red
Nhandu coloratovillosus
Pamphobeteus sp mascara
Hapalopus triseriatus
G.anthracina(deceased)
Oligoxystre diamantinensis (deceased)

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
Currently keeping a small, but steadily growing collection of 16 T's. All New World with 13 terrestrials and 3 arboreals.
Started with a 1 inch B. boehmei sling and never looked back. Just recently took the plunge into Psalmopoeus and loving it. Picked up an about 1 inch Holothele incei 'gold' sling on a whim about a week ago and also very fond of the little critter (it's all the webbing and orange of an OBT without the....bitey).

Currently keeping:
B. boehmei
B. albiceps
B. albopilosum
B. vagans
A. geniculata
L. parahybana
C. cyaneopubscens
N. chromatus
N. tripepii
G. rosea NCF
G. pulchra
G. pulchripes
A. avicularia
A. versicolor
P. cambridgei
H. incei 'gold'

But I've got a list of 26 more species I want (and it'll most likely grow lol).

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hm. Well, going by your numbers, my collection is pushing large. I'd call it moderate. :)

Current numbers (subject to change at a moment's notice...):
NW 39
OW 23

Terrestrial 32
Fossorial 17
Arboreal 13

I quit counting money spent awhile back...

Grey

Arachnopeon
I realize the difference between territorial and terrestrial, lol.

It was a typo corrected by auto correct.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
ig mine is extra small.. i have 10 now and 2 in mail XD all new world. only 2 are arboreals :C

as for price.. uhm.... no clue..200 or so XD

Last edited:

LadyofSpiders

Arachnopeon
I will be up to 36 Ts and have stopped keeping track of what I spend on them. I get free deli cups from my local grocery store ad get a discount on Sterilite containers where I work so that helps keep costs down. I have a lot of pricier Ts but saved money by getting them all as tiny slings and am fortunate to live near a well known breeder so that helps in shipping costs.
I just started getting into arboreals and am focusing on them at the moment but also enjoy large burrowers. I prefer old world attitude to hair kickers, for some reason they are easier to rehouse for me, although I do like the larger spiders, T. stirmi, X. immanis.. Etc.

Tivia

Arachnopeon
Teeny. 3 T's. I adore them :love:, (1) GBB and (2) versis. Money spent? >$100. I never wanted a huge collection, but there are a few more I'd like.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I currently own 55, down from 70-something. About 2/3 of my collection is New World and 1/3 Old-there's nothing really intentional about this, it just sort of happened. Unlike many noobs, I was mostly uninterested in OWs early on and even called them ugly (oh me...) so in a way I sort of lucked out, not getting anything really iffy until I had a better grasp and appreciation of tarantulas from a scientific point of view. As far as sizes go, if we're going with "will-be" rather than "currently are" the majority of mine are actually fairly medium sized, with a little over half of mine being species that will top out around 5" give or take. The other half are mostly larger, with a few minis thrown in. In truth, I really like dwarfs-I just don't have as many as I'd like. If you mean how big they currently are, I've only been in the hobby for a year so most of mine are juveniles or sub-adults. I own mostly terrestrials and only a few true fossorials-again, not intentional. As far as how much I've spent, that's a bit hard to know for sure because I'm not one to keep track of that sort of thing, but if I had to guess, with having bought quite a few of mine as full-grown adults (which are obviously pricier), a large rack, and hoarded lots of coco fiber, cork bark and sterilite I'd say maybe a couple thousand? But that's probably an underestimate since I sold many of my adult females and rares that I'm probably forgetting prices on. I'm sure I'll be chided for this as there are certainly better, and cheaper, ways to build a varied collection but to each their own I say.

Rayenicole

Arachnopeon
I own 39 tarantulas. Roughly a 50/50 split between old world and new world species. The cost inclusive of enclosures, shelving, decorations, tarantulas, and feeding is roughly $3,000.

xirxes

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
4 T's

P. metallica
C. cyaneopubescans
B. smithi
A. versicolor

1 OW
3 NW
2 terrestrial
2 arboreal

I have purchased them as slings, and I only keep them in show quality clear acrylic decorated enclosures, and have their adult lockable acrylic enclosures/cork/decoration in hand. ~$600 spent including led lighting, timers, books, enclosures and T's.