Whats Wrong Need Help With My T

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
I have a small, 2" body, golden knee. It's been very active since I've had it, 3 weeks. Very friendly, eats like crazy and everything seemed fine. Made it a den out of back, nice little cave to hide in. Substrate is peat moss and potting soil. Today I checked on it and it has walled itself in the "cave". I noticed yesterday it looked like it had dug out a hole in there, but didn't think much about it. Today this. I mean it is completely covered the opening. Even has some webbing spread around. As of 5 min ago, everything is the same. Whats going on ???

Attachments

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
It's probably going to molt, it will be fine and will come out eventually. I don't know what a golden knee is though, my best guess with out seeing it is that you have a B. smithi maybe?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It has put up a Do Not Disturb sign.

Chaco Golden Knee is typically the common term for Grammostola pulchripes but, could be anything...

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a small, 2" body, golden knee. It's been very active since I've had it, 3 weeks. Very friendly, eats like crazy and everything seemed fine. Made it a den out of back, nice little cave to hide in. Substrate is peat moss and potting soil. Today I checked on it and it has walled itself in the "cave". I noticed yesterday it looked like it had dug out a hole in there, but didn't think much about it. Today this. I mean it is completely coveted the opening. Even has some webbing spread around. As of 5 min ago, everything is the same. Whats going on ???
This isn't unusual behaviour for a t. It's just like us humans we want a home to be a home somewhere we feel comfortable and relaxed a t is no different it wants it home to feel safe and stress free so it will either be getting settled or it could be in pre moult, one thing for sure is to try not to worry and just leave it be it will reappear when its hungry or moulted. I can 100% guarantee you that every t on the planet will exhibit this sort of behaviour throughout its lifetime whether its arboreal or terrestrial. Its all part of the amazing life of a t

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Thanks to all the replies. I feel much better now. It's actually pretty cool to see.

fomor

Arachnopeon
My G. pulchripes does the same all the time. Sometimes to the point of erecting dirt/web curtains on the sides of the tank. She remodels about once a week but always keeps a massive dirt wall around her hide entrance. I agree, it is fascinating behaviour!

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Ok, thanks for all the help but it's been 8 days now and I'm new to this so of course I'm worried. It's alive because I can see it from the bottom. It moves around. I understand they do strange things but should I be worried after 8 days?? It is a Chaco Golden Knee Grammostola pulchripes and it supposedly molted about 7-20, just before I got it.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Leave it alone. Stop worrying. It's fine.
Agreed. Eight days isn't a grand length of time, especially a Grammostola sp., to wall itself off.Heck, three months wouldn't be unsettling. It could be in there for quite a while, but when it's done/ready to come out, it will. They know what they're doing so save yourself some worry and leave it to it.

Last edited:

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is the sort of behavior you should be familiar with prior to taking responsibility for the life of an animal.

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
This is the sort of behavior you should be familiar with prior to taking responsibility for the life of an animal.
Geez, ease up man. The OP didn't ask for judgements on how much he ought to know before taking responsibility for the life of an animal. Responses like yours may contribute to what keeps this field from expanding as it should, by chasing away new hobbyists with hurtful, smart aleck comments.

I agree with other above advice, all that construction in the photograph (very helpful btw) is a good sign, something healthy Ts do. Good luck and have fun with her (or him).

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
Wow, thanks for those words of encouragement. I wish I knew as much as you. Nice to see you're so accommodating to "help" questions. Maybe I should just take all of them out and step on them since I'm not responsible enough to raise them.

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get used to not seeing your Ts for long periods. Normal part of life for them.
My suggestion is to get about 60 more Ts, some scorps, and maybe some pedes so you will always have a few critters doing something entertaining.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Its quite normal! I love it when i see my T's burrowing or something! Its quite funny if you wake up and you check your T's and see that one of them bulldozed the waterdish to the other edge of the enclosure! :) some T's will even use the dish as strengthening for hiding himself!

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Purchasing an animal without first knowing the most basic behaviors is irresponsible. It's not unlike bringing home a dog, and then wondering why it frequently makes loud, sort of disturbing sounds when it sees other dogs, people, etc. I give the OP credit for for posing the question prior to bulldozing his or her way into the burrow, disturbing the tarantula mid-molt, possibly killing it.

But jebus, it's an animal, not an appliance.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Nothing against the OP but this topic or variations of this topic is asked at least once a week. No joke. I'm beginning to think we need a sticky on "Molting behavior". This is basic stuff you need to know when it comes to tarantulas.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree that one should research the care of an animal before purchasing it. However there are nicer ways to explain that to them. So to me it goes both ways.

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
i read three different books (including the TKG) before i ever bought my first tarantula, and it still took me by surprise when my first T, a ~2" B. smithi, burrowed immediately beneath it's hide and blocked it off after i got him and didn't come out for two months. and she wasn't in premolt either, at least not at first, still ate and everything, just waited for the cricket or roach to come near her burrow before taking it. nothing i'd read prepared me for that, if i'd bought an obligate burrower i would have expected that, but i kept reading that B. smithi stays out in the open and was a good display spider. some quick research on the internet showed me that it wasn't uncommon for younger T's to do this, even ones that usually stay out when they are adults, so that put my concerns to rest. but it just goes to show, no two T's behave exactly the same, and there's plenty of threads here to demonstrate that some T's don't behave the way you'd expect based on the species. you can do all the pre-purchase research you want and still be caught by surprise.