H. gigas transfer

Mariner1

Arachnosquire
I am planning on moving my 2" H. gigas to its next enclosure which will be a large critter keeper. I'm going to fill it to at least half full of substrate and a water bowl, maybe some type of decorations. Anywayz, looking for any tips or suggestions that will help make this go as smooth as possible. When I'm done with him/her, I will be transferring my OBT. :eek:

awiec

Arachnoprince
I usually do transfers in a small room during the day time. If you can out the whole container into the new cage and coax them out with a paint brush. If not then get a container that you can scoot the t in and then into the new cage. Slow and deliberate movements will be your friend, eventually the t will go where you want it to. I don't like the bag method as you can still get bit so I just use vials and salad containers

kellixo

Arachnopeon
Bathroom is always a safe bet if you're feeling nervous imo. It'd be hard to miss them against the white of the bathtub so you'll be able to catch the lil guy if he makes a run for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Honestly, I would wait til it is 3" before moving it to a Kritter Keeper. The only escape I have ever had was an H gigas around 2.5" that was able to get out of a KK. Ever since then, I won't keep any spider less than 3" in one.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Honestly, I would wait til it is 3" before moving it to a Kritter Keeper. The only escape I have ever had was an H gigas around 2.5" that was able to get out of a KK. Ever since then, I won't keep any spider less than 3" in one.
This, all the way! There have been so many threads on here "My T escaped from a KK and I don't know how" - simply by squeezing through the ventilation ribs of the lid. Below 3" it's a risk to house any T in those in my humble opinion. I've never had an escape even once by following this simple, but effective rule of thumb. I know, your mileage may vary, but it's a sad fact that many keepers have lost slings / tiny juvies due to that.

Besides that, enjoy rehousing that T. At that size they're either already feisty like my C. fimbriatus were, or will mostly use their speed to escape the evil "predator" trying to get them out of their known habitat. Best way to do it: Keep calm, use an open area with some towels laying around for the T to hide under and have your catchcup and tongs ready. Don't forget the lid! :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I would NEVER use a critter keeper for a moisture dependent genus like Hysterocrates, especially if I lived in a dry state like you do. They require moist substrate. You need to close off most of the top to retain humidity.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would NEVER use a critter keeper for a moisture dependent genus like Hysterocrates, especially is I lived in a dry state like you do. They require moist substrate. You need to close off most of the top to retain humidity.
That, too. In general. However, my female E. murinus lives in one with moist substrate and all. Granted, I blocked off the top of the lids ventilation letting in only from those diagonal sideribs. Works fine for me, doesn't dry out really and the T is fine in there, too.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I would NEVER use a critter keeper for a moisture dependent genus like Hysterocrates, especially if I lived in a dry state like you do. They require moist substrate. You need to close off most of the top to retain humidity.
Depends on the size of the KK. You can get almost a foot of sub in the biggest one, which should be adequate at maintaining humidity in the burrow at the very least.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Depends on the size of the KK. You can get almost a foot of sub in the biggest one, which should be adequate at maintaining humidity in the burrow at the very least.
Still too much airflow unless you cover up most of the top. With an open top, you lose the microclimate effect, and the spider is more susceptible to drafts, fumes, sprays, etc. I just don't think critter keepers are a good idea for spiders.

Mariner1

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Now all I have to do is wait for the little beasty to molt. On the bright side, I picked up a A. versiclor and a A. purpea the other day and they are doing well.