vinegaroon baby COATED in mites... need help fast!

klawfran3

Arachnolord
Old Timer
so the title says it all. One of my baby vinegaroons is absolutely coated in mites. I have no idea where they came from, all I know is that they are covering his body. every joint has them, and his little carapace is seething in them. I have no idea what to do, and I need help fast.

he is in dry sub, but it seems ot have no effect on this mites what so ever

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Isolate from all other animals, keeping in mind the baby mites are microscopic and can even go airborne on a breeze. As to how to get rid of them, good luck. The mites are easily as hardy as the vinegaroon. Toothpick or similar probe dipped in light oil, maybe magnifying glasses, and a few hours of prod and oil the mites one by one.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They are most likely hypopus stage grain mites, imo, the odds are that it's acarus siro. That's been my guess for years as to the species because it's the most common sps people have problem with in their homes ...just a guess. I like the first link best in kp513's post, that's how I deal with them, isopods and pred mites, I've typed so many posts on this topic as have others. You can starve the hypopus stage mites, it takes months. Also, you can get many off by dropping something dead in there, they eat rotting organic matter. When they are all over the dead thing, remove it and flush it burn it, whatever. The pred mites I have just showed up in my cages, had them for several years in the cages over here. The grain mites reproduce much faster though, it's important to take any rotting bug parts and rotting veggies out of cages. The grain mite prob dries up over the next 5-6 months if you do that. Isopods eat that stuff too, they work. All that's assuming they are grain mites, sure sounds like they are. btw they often come from store bought crickets and meal worms, esp. meal worms. I've seen millions of those mites crawling around mealworm containers, it's the oats and dead mealworms they eat on. They aren't parasitic but seem to overwhelm inverts when there are too many and are obviously irritating to them. They go into that stage for transportation, that's the theory.

Last edited: