What frog/toad tadpoles could they be?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I live on Long Island and a park has tadpoles swimming in a tiny temporary pool in the middle of a parking lot! Its august I never heard of tadpoles hatching this late and the location is odd being the only frogs I see are bullfrogs. We did have a flood last week with the heavy rains but I doubt a bullfrog would lay eggs in a foot of water away from permanent water source. The tadpoles are very small and roundish black-brown.

I'm afraid the water will dry up and they will die so I need to figure out if I need to move them to a pond, even if they mature cars will run them over or be burned on hot asphalt.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You need a good pic of the tads, that was only a description of a general tadpole. Do you have a good camera? I think sometimes when the seasons are odd, they will take advantage of a late season rain. I heard some frogs calling just a week ago.

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
I honestly don't know a whole lot about spadefoots but heavy rains tend to bring out amphibians in general. But since you mentioned it I looked at some distribution maps and chance are they are either spadefoots or fowlers. I didn't realize that B. americanus doesn't really extend much into LI

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/44629.html

That's the spadefoot map

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I honestly don't know a whole lot about spadefoots but heavy rains tend to bring out amphibians in general. But since you mentioned it I looked at some distribution maps and chance are they are either spadefoots or fowlers. I didn't realize that B. americanus doesn't really extend much into LI

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/44629.html

That's the spadefoot map
It says fowlers breed April to May, spadefoot breed spring and to late summer, it's looking more like spadefoot plus location of tadpoles matches up to breeding area. However I'm still worried about it surrounded by cars, wonder if I should move them to the pond nearby?

edgeofthefreak

Arachno-titled!
Old Timer
I'd say if you think you can do better than a parking lot puddle, then yeah, giv'r. I have no idea about frogs, so I know I'd be putting them in harms way to take them for myself. Even just to relocate, I have no experience or knowledge. But you seem to have a good grasp of their needs, so why not?

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
It says fowlers breed April to May, spadefoot breed spring and to late summer, it's looking more like spadefoot plus location of tadpoles matches up to breeding area. However I'm still worried about it surrounded by cars, wonder if I should move them to the pond nearby?

I would. Personally id be tempted to keep a few, but they are one of the few sp. of frog/toads that you can't legally collect/posses in NY

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I never gave an update.

I moved a few hundred to a big pond and took 15 home to see what they are. Glad I did 2 days later all the rest in the temp pond were bone dry. I lost 3 already didn't realize they like really shallow water they got so fat and couldn't get to the top for air and they hate clean water even dechlorinated water they like water slightly dirty. Once I fixed those issues the rest are doing good but growing slowly, just got leg buds. I doubt they are spadefoot as those grow really quick and these are dark spadefoot tads are lighter in color. I'm guessing american or fowlers but I still don't understand why they were laid so late. I'm worried they might not mature in time if it gets cold here early, they belong in the wild but their growth isn't fast, unless they will grow quicker now like a growth spurt?

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I raised a couple "toadpoles" (toad tadpoles) this summer... or maybe they were bullfrogs (I'm far from expert, haha) and I didn't really ever find out what they were, but I know once they started growing legs, it was like watching a ball rolling down a hill. Their legs just kept growing faster and faster, to the point that as soon as the back legs were fully grown, their front legs were little lumps. I kind of forgot about them for a few days at that point, and when I came back, their front legs were fully formed and their tails were halfway gone. It kinda freaked me out for a second, expecting to see yet two-legged creatures, and finding a couple four-legged ones. LOL I released them into my pond.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I raised a couple "toadpoles" (toad tadpoles) this summer... or maybe they were bullfrogs (I'm far from expert, haha) and I didn't really ever find out what they were, but I know once they started growing legs, it was like watching a ball rolling down a hill. Their legs just kept growing faster and faster, to the point that as soon as the back legs were fully grown, their front legs were little lumps. I kind of forgot about them for a few days at that point, and when I came back, their front legs were fully formed and their tails were halfway gone. It kinda freaked me out for a second, expecting to see yet two-legged creatures, and finding a couple four-legged ones. LOL I released them into my pond.
Another sort of perfect storm scenario. The habit of tadpoles liking shallows and mud banks is custom tailored made to order buffet for king cobras, especially babies and juveniles. Had one pond cum sump next to our house, the drainage of several acres of rice fields. Tens of thousands of tadpoles. Then one day I noticed a ridiculous 4 foot king finishing the lot off. It was stuffed. Looked like it had swallowed about 2 1/2 feet of pipe. A uniform bulge from just behind the head all the way to the vent.

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi keith, hard to ID tads via photo, esp as I've just had a cornea transplant, (for close species, we use tooth arrangement...or people with better eyes than I do!), but Gray Treefrogs breed late and at various times throughout summer on LI and I've found tads in August; they will use sites as you describe...in fact one of my fav's is also in a very busy area. Some others mentioned by responders also possible, esp. spadefoot toads, but they are very localized here, gen limited to Pine barrons and immediate borders, eastern Suffolk. American toads are not here, fowler's are, but tend have transformed by now. They are not bullfrogs, if pressed I'd sat gray treefrogs..they transform quickly, feed well...tetramin flakes, kale softened in hot water works; please keep me posted, best, frank well

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi keith, hard to ID tads via photo, esp as I've just had a cornea transplant, (for close species, we use tooth arrangement...or people with better eyes than I do!), but Gray Treefrogs breed late and at various times throughout summer on LI and I've found tads in August; they will use sites as you describe...in fact one of my fav's is also in a very busy area. Some others mentioned by responders also possible, esp. spadefoot toads, but they are very localized here, gen limited to Pine barrons and immediate borders, eastern Suffolk. American toads are not here, fowler's are, but tend have transformed by now. They are not bullfrogs, if pressed I'd sat gray treefrogs..they transform quickly, feed well...tetramin flakes, kale softened in hot water works; please keep me posted, best, frank well
Thanks Frank!

They are growing so fast and craving more protein, their back legs are starting to bend meaning they are growing quickly! Most are light in color now. Got some good photos of them.

Attachments

findi

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looking forward to seeing how they turn out, thanks, frank