Just Wondering!

BiasDouglas

Arachnopeon
I've had my B. Smithi for a couple of months now and she has molted once since I've had her and she is about 3 - 3 1/2 and I was wandering about how old she might be. I'm just curious any ideas?:geek:

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
I don't think there is any viable way for us to tell the age, especially by size. Thankfully it's a long lived species and not full grown at that size so you should have her for a long time ;).

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seconded. Aging tarantulas is a crapshoot because there's so many variables. The temperature and amount it was fed could have a huge effect on the growth rate, so there's no exact way to know.

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Could be 2 years could be 5 years. There's just no way to tell especially with Brachypelma.

cold blood

Staff member
Its like saying I see a 2005 Honda Accord across the street, how many miles are on it? Depends on many variables.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I would go with 3 years but that based on an estimate of growth rates, some grow faster, some grow slower. I have a female P.regalis who is the same size as my male P.vitatta but guess what? the female is probably 6 months his senior. I also have a male P.metallica who is the same age as my P.vitatta but he is half the size, I can only guess that he is just a slow burner and that he will mature at a much later date than my P.vitatta. I just figured I would provide an example to show that aging a T is tricky. You can certainly guess that a WC rosea at petco is at least 8-10 years but that's all you can know as no one followed it from sling to adult.