First arboreal enclosure - Advice and review

fomor

Arachnopeon
So I am planning to add an Avic to my collection, probably an A. avicularia but possibly an A. metallica. Before I get it I would like to make sure I am providing a decent enclosure. I've added some pictures of a basic enclosure I built out of tupperware and a plastic tub. I used a rubber o-ring to provide a strong seal when the container is closed.

The distance between the substrate and the top is just under 6 inches and the diameter is 3 inches at it's smallest point.

I have used bamboo skewers as a base for web building but will replace these with a plastic aquarium plant if necessary.

I would really appreciate some input as to whether this would be suitable for a 1 - 1 1/2 inch Avic especially with regards to ventilation and size.

Any advice is appreciated. It is a first attempt so I am totally open to criticism.

avicEnc22.jpg
avicEnc.jpg

Last edited:

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some kind of fake leaves or some thing for the spider to hide behind maybe glue silk leaves to skewers. Only when you glue leaves in it leaves less space for spider. I do like the enclosure I would personally like one two sizes bigger. My versicolor at 2 inches I had it in a 4 by 4 inch ameck cube and with a little decoration seemed a bit cramped. A 1 1\2 spider the enclosure would be twice its leg span minus any decorations.For a 1 inch a. aviculria it would possibly adaquate for a molt or two and for a aviculria metallica you may be looking to rehouse in 26 days.

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It will be just fine, space wise, for a 1.5" avic. I agree with Tony however, put some plants or some cork bark in there for it to be able to hide.

In my personal opinion, I've used wooden skewers before and over time they develop mold on them. I'd ditch them.
All in all, it is a great looking container. I think its a wonderful idea for an arboreal. Good job!

Austin

fomor

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the input. Now you mention the mould possibility I'll definitely replace the skewers with some cork bark and fake leaves.
I've decided on an A. avicularia just because they're easy for me to get right now. If I have success with this one I'll definitely consider getting others from the genus.
As for the size of the container I'm not concerned with the prospect of having to rehouse in two or three moults. The point of building this one was mainly to make sure I could provide suitable housing as needed. Now I've had some input saying it looks half decent I know what I'll need to do to build a larger enclosure in the future.

Thanks again!

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Building enclosures is one of my favorite parts to raising tarantulas.

fomor

Arachnopeon
Well I added my aquarium plant over the weekend. Could not find cork bark in my local pet stores though so I've ordered some to arrive on Friday.
Wouldn't you know it but the A. avicularia I ordered to arrive on Saturday got sent today and will arrive tomorrow after a bit of a mix up. Not that I'm complaining, I'm ecstatic. However, the poor thing will have to rough it without cork bark for a couple of days.

I see what you mean tonypace, I got really carried away with ideas when I was planning this small enclosure. Enjoyed it very much and it won't be the last one I attempt to make myself...

avicEncSm.jpg

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I love this... It's functional, and with that plant in there it's also beautiful, although I really liked the skewers set at differing angles. I wonder if you could find some plastic pic-up stix or something and utilize them? Or even some cheap plastic chopsticks...

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
One small change that I found helpful, attach the plant to the top of the container so you don't wreck the webbing when you open it. Enjoy your new avic!

fomor

Arachnopeon
Why thank you ratluvr! I was curious to see how the T might use the frame provided by the skewers in it's webbing, if at all. I'll have to source some plastic sticks as you said and perhaps incorporate the idea into the next size up enclosure.

HungryGhost, It isn't clear from the picture but the plants are attached as you suggested at two points; the top and the bottom of the upper portion of the container so the whole assembly comes away from the bottom part as a unit. I can only imagine how useful this might be especially having read that Avics tend to flee to the top of the enclosure when startled.
Thanks for looking out for that though! It would have been awful if I'd planted them in the sub only to yank the poor T's entire world out from under it at the first bit of maintenance.

I was inspired by several similar enclosures I saw here so no credit for original thinking :biggrin: