my plan to not order anymore t's this year as hit a snag

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few weeks ago I made the decision to not order anymore t's as I only have 3 on my wishlist and all 3 are hard to come by so I was resigned to spending a lot of time searching. Well my plans have hit a bump in a great way 2 out 3 have become available as of yesterday so do I order now or do I wait as they seem to be available around every 6 months or so lately. I know it's a risk that could backfire if I stick to my plan to hold off. The 3 t's are

Oligoxystre diamantinensis to replace the 1 that escaped and got eaten by a g iheringi
Crypsidromus sp Panama
G anthracina which isn't available and took me a year to find before

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
If they are not readily available, johnny, I'd say go for it, who knows when they'll be available again. Besides, ordering new T's is fun. :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Pass them up now, and it could be a while before you see them for sale again. The world can pass you by while you're waiting for the right time.

Tcollector

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I told myself the same thing. I ended up putting more orders in anyways. If its something that's hard to come by then bite the bullet and buy it.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
I know exactly how you feel. I told Katie, no more until after we move but it seems like there are A. purpurea everywhere right now and those are at the top of her list.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks guy's
After reading your comments and listening to your advice I came to a decision and unfortunately I decided not to order 2 t's (oligoxystre diamantinensis and crypsidromus sp Panama) i thought it was only fair that if I was getting 2 new housemates I should make it 3 so ive added yet another species and genus in the form of a Thrixopelma lagunas this is a species I personally haven't seen in years (although I've not been looking as I'd totally forgotten about it). So as I say I've not ordered 2 and the 3rd gives me a nice even 18 t's and 18 species thanks again guy's :)

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks guy's
After reading your comments and listening to your advice I came to a decision and unfortunately I decided not to order 2 t's (oligoxystre diamantinensis and crypsidromus sp Panama) i thought it was only fair that if I was getting 2 new housemates I should make it 3 so ive added yet another species and genus in the form of a Thrixopelma lagunas this is a species I personally haven't seen in years (although I've not been looking as I'd totally forgotten about it). So as I say I've not ordered 2 and the 3rd gives me a nice even 18 t's and 18 species thanks again guy's :)
Man, I saw a guy selling them in the classifieds and I just about soiled myself with excitement....then I clicked and realized I would need to live in Europe:( Good choice!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man, I saw a guy selling them in the classifieds and I just about soiled myself with excitement....then I clicked and realized I would need to live in Europe:( Good choice!
The last time I saw 1 was around 6 years ago that a friend of mine owned but I think at the time it was being sold as a Euathlus sp and as a responsible adult my friend kept is mm out of the gene pool. I remember seeing it in all it's deep blue beauty and thinking if I hadn't left the hobby it was my next t. I'm really happy about stumbling on to this as it's a true Thrixopelma lagunas (large) and not the smaller Thrixopelma sold under a different name plus as it's only a sling its cost me basically peanuts at £10 (16usd) which is always a bonus

awiec

Arachnoprince
The last time I saw 1 was around 6 years ago that a friend of mine owned but I think at the time it was being sold as a Euathlus sp and as a responsible adult my friend kept is mm out of the gene pool. I remember seeing it in all it's deep blue beauty and thinking if I hadn't left the hobby it was my next t. I'm really happy about stumbling on to this as it's a true Thrixopelma lagunas (large) and not the smaller Thrixopelma sold under a different name plus as it's only a sling its cost me basically peanuts at £10 (16usd) which is always a bonus
Everyone needs more thrixs, the one I have is supposed to be the "common" one and I still only see them at one or two retailers. I just happen to stumble upon mine as an expo, the guy said she showed up in a collection he bought out so he's not sure of her history just that she's probably mature and I'm going to have a hard time finding a male.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Everyone needs more thrixs, the one I have is supposed to be the "common" one and I still only see them at one or two retailers. I just happen to stumble upon mine as an expo, the guy said she showed up in a collection he bought out so he's not sure of her history just that she's probably mature and I'm going to have a hard time finding a male.
I've considered a Thrixopelma ockerti for a while but the thing that put me off was I don't have any desire to own any arboreal t's at this time and it looks too similar at first glance to my grammostola iheringi and I like a nice non uniform approach to my T's and yes I know if you've spoken to me before you will know I own a B smithi and a B annitha which are almost identical but I did this for the rarity value with the annitha. Thanks for letting me know that you're gonna have trouble finding a mate for your common thrix I'm just gonna have to pray I can find a mate for my rarer thrix when the time comes

cold blood

Staff member
I've considered a Thrixopelma ockerti for a while but the thing that put me off was I don't have any desire to own any arboreal t's at this time and it looks too similar at first glance to my grammostola iheringi and I like a nice non uniform approach to my T's and yes I know if you've spoken to me before you will know I own a B smithi and a B annitha which are almost identical but I did this for the rarity value with the annitha. Thanks for letting me know that you're gonna have trouble finding a mate for your common thrix I'm just gonna have to pray I can find a mate for my rarer thrix when the time comes
Okerti look nothing like iheringi at all, they are much, much more colorful. They are also not entirely arboreal, like say an avic, and have been described as having arboreal tendencies. They are a gorgeous species, the closest color-wise is probably a gbb IMO.
The one we have is most certainly NOT the common one, its actually really uncommon, especially here in the states. Generally when you see them for sale, they are mis-labeled. For instance, the only retailer I know of that's selling them has a pic up that's not the correct species IMO. I think okerti is the most common Thrixopelma, and they aren't exactly abundant. I really want an okerti!!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okerti look nothing like iheringi at all, they are much, much more colorful. They are also not entirely arboreal, like say an avic, and have been described as having arboreal tendencies. They are a gorgeous species, the closest color-wise is probably a gbb IMO.

When I said they look similar I meant with a fleeting look with the darker colouration and a red/orange abdomen obviously upon closer inspection they do look a lot different ie 1 been blue the other been black. The mis labeling issue exists here also up till recently they were sometimes sold as Euathlus sp as I stated about the friend of mine who owned 1

awiec

Arachnoprince

The one we have is most certainly NOT the common one, its actually really uncommon, especially here in the states. Generally when you see them for sale, they are mis-labeled. For instance, the only retailer I know of that's selling them has a pic up that's not the correct species IMO. I think okerti is the most common Thrixopelma, and they aren't exactly abundant. I really want an okerti!!
I've seen okerti the most but ours comes in second, I've stumbled upon a few others but I've seen far more cyaneolum than others of the genus. But the group as a whole is few in the hobby so trying to figure out the most common of an uncommon genus can be fruitless.