Possibly escaped whipspider

schmiggle

Arachnoking
About 2-3 months ago, I got a juvenile Heterophrynus batesii and had it in an 18" cube exoterra. I have been unable to find him/her, even though I usually can; a cricket was eaten about a week ago, so anything that would have happened has to have happened recently. I haven't seen a body, so my assumption has been escape. I just put in a cricket to see if he/she is actually gone, but if that is the case, is there anything I can do? My house is warm, old, humid, and full of bugs, so conditions are perfect for it to survive right now, but in the winter I'm worried my whipspider will get cold and die. Is there a way for me to find it? Are there any other possibilities that I'm not thinking of? Anything else I can do?
Thanks

Ambly

Arachnobaron
how could it have escaped? Are there holes of some sort large enough for it to navigate through? Look very carefully, removing stuff very carefully and placing it in something like a clean tub (to prevent further escape) - that is unfortunate. Look at night, look in places it can climb, but if you don't find it soon the likelihood is it will fall prey to a native spider or centipede or something.

Good luck

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good advise from Ambly.

This is just a thought...Do you have isopods and springtails in the enclosure? It is possible that it fell during a molt and was consumed by isopods, springtails or the cricket. I have had this happen with one of mine (springtails and isopods ate the dead animal and the exoskeleton) but there were still some legs left. Can you get a powerful flashlight and look through the enclosure for any remnants of its exoskeleton? It may be too late. They may have ate everything already. I am hoping it escaped and you find it happy and healthy in your home. :)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
So a very weird thing has been happening...like I said, I put in a cricket, and it was gone when I checked in 3-4 hours. I have no springtails in there, so that doesn't seem likely; I don't think one millipede could do it. I've covered up the hole I thought it had escaped through, so the crickets can't get out; however, no sign of the whipspider. I noticed nothing else in the terrarium. Does this mean it's in there? Otherwise, it likely escaped, and my house is not well heated; would it search out the well-heated rooms, or just die?
Thanks for your help, everyone!

Forcep

Arachnosquire
If I have a burrowing roach species in a large enclosure I may not see it for months. But I don't think you'll have trouble to find a whipspider (especially a Heterophrynus) as long as it is there.

Ambly

Arachnobaron
If you had a hole that was large enough for it to escape that it could access, then it likely probed it out and left the enclosure. They explore a ton, especially when new to a home. It is possible it died and was rapidly eaten if you have a large quantity of isopods or something else in there. If it's in there, you'd know. If you haven't taken everything out to carefully inspect, I'd start there. If it died and was eaten or rotted, there is a good chance the pedipalps are still there. Hope it turns up.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, crickets don't magically disappear, so the whip is probably still in there????