Mites and springtails

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all! So I was watering my T. Stirmi's enclosure today and noticed tons of little white mites scurrying from the water. They are not springtails as I can identify those and I have those in there as well in smaller numbers. They seem to resemble tiny slings running around with kind of long legs but a round body. They run pretty fast from any light. After my research, these seem to be harmless mites. Is this correct? Also, when I was observing the mites I noticed a very small(.25") and slender white/clear worm. I was going to get it out but I can no longer find it. Is this of any concern? Could it be a nematode? Any help is appreciated!

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Can you post a picture? Do you have the tarantula keepers guide? Maybe take a look in there!

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are some pictures. The mites or spring tails are in the center of the water dish scurrying around on top and the white worms which appear to be grindel worms? are on the left side in the water dish. I also noticed the "mites" in my T. Storm I enclosure are very fast to shy away from light and scurry all around constantly. Any ideas what I'm dealing with?
View attachment 129475
View attachment 129476
View attachment 129477
View attachment 129478

Neoza

Arachnobaron
I can barely see it but i really dont know what it is! But i hope someone else will reply because it can be very dangerous to your T's if you dont do something! When they are mites who can harm your T's you need to clean the enclosures!! All of them! New substrate, new plants,... And clean eveything with soap or bleachwater! Even after cleaning they can come back and you must repeat the progress :s

philthyxphil

Arachnopeon
I'm a novice keeper so I can only speak from my experiences. From time to time I've seen critters in my enclosures and from this forum I've learned that 9 times out of 10,I am keeping the substrate too damp. What I have done and has worked for me is allow the substrate to dry a little, if not completely, and increase the ventilation. Also springtails seem to help tremendously so pick some up if you can. I have never had to rehouse a T yet due to mites or mold by following what I mentioned above.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a novice keeper so I can only speak from my experiences. From time to time I've seen critters in my enclosures and from this forum I've learned that 9 times out of 10,I am keeping the substrate too damp. What I have done and has worked for me is allow the substrate to dry a little, if not completely, and increase the ventilation. Also springtails seem to help tremendously so pick some up if you can. I have never had to rehouse a T yet due to mites or mold by following what I mentioned above.
Well I can't really let the T. Storm I enclosure dry out too much. It has to be moist. She is also in pre molt so I wouldn't be able to let it dry out

philthyxphil

Arachnopeon
Again, I can only speak from my experience, but I have an E cyanognathus that I had to do the same thing with. Personally I'd rather have my T risk lower humidity than a mite explosion

Last edited: