Keeping substrate outside

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I need to rehouse my GBB, but I am worried about the substrate. I keep my substrate outside in my makeshift greenhouse. The greenhouse does a good job of keeping the substrate out of harms way, but I sometimes find dead bugs in it and I am worried that those bugs have toxins or pesticides in them that will kill the GBB. I have used substrate from this same batch, but it was when it had just been recently inflated and not sitting for quite a while. Should I be worried or am I just overreacting?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

Oreo

Arachnocookie
No one can tell if the dead bugs have been exposed to pesticides. I'd buy more substrate and keep the remainder sealed. IME, sitting unsealed substrate, esp a soil mix, can attract various bugs, mites and gnats even when stored indoors.

Tongue Flicker

Arachnobaron
Just cover it with a fine mesh or a fishnet bag. That should let it be aerated while keeping the bugs out

darthcider

Arachnopeon
Why take the chance, if like you say, you already found dead bugs in it?
Maybe store it more securely in the future, but substrate isn't expensive compared to the potential loss of a T.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I inflated a new batch of substrate and prepared the enclosure. I'm just going to let it sit for a few days cause I know GBBs despise moisture. Here it is. What do you think?

uploadfromtaptalk1408811992262.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you find dead bugs in it, then you likely have LIVE bugs and their EGGS in it. I'd never use that substrate if you paid me.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
iv got to agree with vipoer.. thats nothing id want near my enclosures.. i go keep a substrate outside. however it is baked befor use each time [and in a sealed container] greenhouse or not you never know what your neighbors are using.. if one neighbor used even seven dust.. im sure thats still on the dead bugs.. plus they are going to be live bugs and we dont know what kind...

just keep the sub in your closet next time its a lil safer then a greenhouse unless you cover it..

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I use a $5 Homer Depot 5gal. bucket with a lid,clean enough to keep right in the spider room. I can get in 50 spiders at a time,it's good to have it sitting right there to fill their vial/habitats. I use a mix of spag. moss and coco coir.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Put it for 1 minute in the microwave and all the bugs and eggs will be dead!!! When i would see bugs in the substrate i also wouldnt use it. :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you find dead bugs in it, then you likely have LIVE bugs and their EGGS in it. I'd never use that substrate if you paid me.
This and...why on earth are you keeping it in the greenhouse when it makes you worry that you keep it there?! *confused*

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This and...why on earth are you keeping it in the greenhouse when it makes you worry that you keep it there?! *confused*
It dries out in the Sun, and I haven't gotten big bags until recently. Besides, I haven't been getting new Ts recently.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Bags?! I don't know just how much dirt you actually try to dry (a ton?), but even if I use the cocofiber in blocks - I just let it rest in an empty cage while I don't need it. So at the time -when- I need it, it's already dry. And no: Frankly I'm on the same page as viper69 and wouldn't have any of that sub.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Bags?! I don't know just how much dirt you actually try to dry (a ton?), but even if I use the cocofiber in blocks - I just let it rest in an empty cage while I don't need it. So at the time -when- I need it, it's already dry. And no: Frankly I'm on the same page as viper69 and wouldn't have any of that sub.
i think he ment the bag of eco earth thats already dry? [which is like 1 brick actually at 4x the cost]

but i do exactly this.. i buy coco substrate made for plants [11lb brick] wash it a few dozen times incase it has a high salt content[looks bad], bake it and throw it in a tub/cage and thats it...i found if you let too thick of a batch sit to try you will grow ushrooms tho -.-.. but i have 3 tubs of sub sitting around actually. ones normal dirt and coco with a divider, ones strait coco fiber. and another is coco and sphagnum mix [hand mixed with actual sphagnum moss] all just sit in a container or cage. only one has a vented lid its the moss one as i keep it damp for my snakes, and my more tropical T's never get a bug in mine. it never gets excess moisture and its ready when i need it. wether it be a rehouse. potting a plant. a top off of sub that doesnt look high enough or complete cage cleanings [snakes only] id never trust the sub outside for any reason.. yuck.

Driller64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm an idiot for not reporting this to you guys earlier, but about a month ago I was mixing some substrate up in a bucket with my hands when I realized that only a few minutes ago I had been handling my dog which had frontline on her. And I had forgotten to wash my hands afterwards at the time where it actually mattered, which is when I was mixing the substrate. I don't normally touch the dog in the area she has frontline on, not just for the Ts but also for the reason that who wants to have a poisonous pesticide on them, so there was a reasonable chance that there was little to no frontline on my hands at the time, but I was and am still nervous. I read that frontline is designed to decompose after a period of time. So could any frontline in the substrate have decomposed by now? The bag of substrate has been sealed for about a month so any bugs down in the basement don't lay eggs in it. The problem is that my Dad will probably scold me if I throw out an entire brick of substrate that he paid for, although we did buy three bricks of it.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't normally touch the dog in the area she has frontline on, not just for the Ts but also for the reason that who wants to have a poisonous pesticide on them, so there was a reasonable chance that there was little to no frontline on my hands at the time, but I was and am still nervous.
This is something I just can't understand. People understand that frontline is a pesticide that they don't want to deal with on themselves or their children (or other pets), yet they have no qualms about putting it directly into the glandular system of their dog, which is highly prone to cancers and already is saddled with a short enough lifespan as it is.

You couldn't pay me to use that stuff on my best friend.

keeper2013

Arachnopeon
There is a lot I don't understand about the original post. It's almost exact word for word of a post from awhile back. I couldn't believe it then or now. If someone is going to the trouble to raise T's, wouldn't they atleast look up a couple things on the internet. Anyone can become an expert on anything using the internet.:sarcasm: Common sense tells you keep a bag of soil outside, exposed and you will have bugs. They said they have a small greenhouse so they would know the bug problem. Are they keeping the substrate itself just out in the open?? Keep it in it's original bag and close it ! Put it in a bucket with a lid ! You would almost have to be trying to get bugs to get them. How much room does a bag of coconut fibers take up in the corner of a closet????

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I need to rehouse my GBB, but I am worried about the substrate. I keep my substrate outside in my makeshift greenhouse. The greenhouse does a good job of keeping the substrate out of harms way, but I sometimes find dead bugs in it and I am worried that those bugs have toxins or pesticides in them that will kill the GBB. I have used substrate from this same batch, but it was when it had just been recently inflated and not sitting for quite a while. Should I be worried or am I just overreacting?

toss it bro. Buy more