White worms in E cyanognathus tank

philthyxphil

Arachnopeon
So it feels like I've read through almost every search thread on here and haven't been able to find a satisfying answer. I recently noticed small and thin (diameter of a human hair) white worms crawling in the soil of my springtails culture. Just a few days ago it seems like my E cyanognathus enclosure had an explosion of them. I have since rehoused the spider and lowered the humidity. Thank you for your help!

Oreo

Arachnocookie
They may be gnat larvae. Probably best to add some water to pour out the springtails onto some new substrate.

philthyxphil

Arachnopeon
They may be gnat larvae. Probably best to add some water to pour out the springtails onto some new substrate.
That's what I thought at first, but I couldn't find a picture of gnat larvae that were that long and thin. And I haven't seen any gnats yet. I may just scrap all of the springtails cultures from this company and start over.

philthyxphil

Arachnopeon
Kind of looks like Grindal/White worms but at that size/with that pic it's hard to tell.
It's hard to get a good picture, but I'll do some research on them and see. Do grindal worms pose a threat to tarantulas?

The E cyanognathus molted last night, no complications

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
It's hard to get a good picture, but I'll do some research on them and see. Do grindal worms pose a threat to tarantulas?

The E cyanognathus molted last night, no complications
A couple likely aren't harmful but the issue with worms like this (grindal or other) is the "outbreak" potential imo. I used to culture grindals specifically. Used them for fish food and would feed them bread and oats mostly. Sometimes sprinkle some flake fish food in. Are they actually harmful? It's kind of hard to say :). I'd imagine they would be more of an irritant to the tarantula rather than actually harmful. They are also quite unsightly when you have a large quantity of them imo. I don't particularly want to say yes or no to if they are actually harmful either way though.

Sometimes dumping the cultures and starting over is easier than isolating the problem. It's funny actually because I had some issues with spring tails and white worms as well. I assumed it was due to lax care routines on the part of the person I got them from. Except my issue was spring tails in my cultures of worms haha. No separating those buggers out. I ditched them all and did baby brine shrimp instead lol.