My second T

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
I got this little thing

I'm still scared of them, but I'm working on it lol. Someone said this is the larger species? Can anyone confirm that? Or is it literally impossible to tell, until they get to a certain size?

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a Haplopus species. I doubt it'll get any bigger than 3.5 inches or so. Mild venom, terrestrial T, likes to web. Use the search function here in AB to find care information.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So what's the size limit for a tarantula to be considered a dwarf species ooc?

awiec

Arachnoprince
So what's the size limit for a tarantula to be considered a dwarf species ooc?
I would say 2-3 inches but these guys are considered dwarfs cause they barley make the cut off, I think people just throw "dwarf" on any T that is under 4 inches.

To OP: You can tell via the spots on the abdomen or look at its underside, the small and large have different patterns. It also looks exactly like my large so you should expect it to get about 3.5 if it's a female and smaller if it's a male. Good luck mine gives me hell all the time but they are very cute and easy to care for spiders. They like somewhat moist sub and will stuff their faces until they molt. They will web a lot too so anything they can attach webbing to like bark, moss or fake plants they will enjoy.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
That might be the cutest thing I've seen all day!! aaww!!

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks all, yeah...haha. Well, I am scared of spiders, and I've opened the lid twice and both times he's run out and bolted across my floor lol.

But I'm slowly getting over it, I think.

I mean in terms of speed, are these much slower than say something like an OBT?

I bought a Trinidad Chevron the other day, and that's slower than this I swear!

The speed in which this pumpkin came out when I prodded it to rehouse was ridiculous, compared to the chevron.

I'm not really into handling them as such, I just think they're pretty animals.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They do move like greased lightning. :) Faster than an OBT or a Psalmo? Depends on if the individual spider is on a serious mission or not. :)

cold blood

Staff member

The speed in which this pumpkin came out when I prodded it to rehouse was ridiculous, compared to the chevron.
Just wait till the cheveron actually tries...lol. They're teleporters when they want to be, they're just more likely to bolt into a web hole.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks all, yeah...haha. Well, I am scared of spiders, and I've opened the lid twice and both times he's run out and bolted across my floor lol.

But I'm slowly getting over it, I think.

I mean in terms of speed, are these much slower than say something like an OBT?

I'm not really into handling them as such, I just think they're pretty animals.
Haplopus have a habit of bolting out of the cage, but pslamos are faster. If you are scared of Ts like you say you are, then the pslamo was a bad choice. You should have raised your Haplopus for a while as there are many spiders that are faster than it, more defensive and can do more damage if they bite. From what I know of pslamos they prefer just to hide in their holes but come rehouse time they can teleport all over the place. I own a T.gigas which is the fastest T you can get and it can run circles around my H. sp Columbia but it is not as prone to bolting unless I bother it (which you will have to re-house eventually). If you can find a new home for the pslamo then that's fine but if not then take it slow and easy and don't get more fast Ts until you lessen your fear and raise them for a while.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus spp. are generally (with exceptions!) very secretive, defensive, fast and the "Trinidad Chevron" is the P. cambridgei meaning the largest of the genus getting up to 7"+. My girl is adult and she's always...interesting to deal with. That statement of yours being "scared" about them, then getting a P. cambridgei...based on that you'll be in over your head when that T grows likely - and they grow fast.

Either you'll adapt very quickly, or I'm guessing there might be a T for sale soon. Please don't try handling that one, Psalms are teleporters and quite proficient at jumping, too. A bite is painful, though not long-lasting like from Poecies.

A word of advice: Do not let their "calm" behavior fool you. They're quite capable of changing that in the blink of an eye and for someone not used to their behavior that'll probably come as a suprise. Treat that one very, very carefully if you have to mess with it all.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, as I've heard mixed opinions.

Don't worry, it's not going up for sale. My first snake that I owned was a Gaboon viper, 4 years ago, I'm sure I can learn quickly with these T's.

I'm not looking to get anything faster than the Trinidad. I'm looking to get B.emelia and A.versicolor soon.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, that's what I was wondering, as I've heard mixed opinions.

Don't worry, it's not going up for sale. My first snake that I owned was a Gaboon viper, 4 years ago, I'm sure I can learn quickly with these T's.

I'm not looking to get anything faster than the Trinidad. I'm looking to get B.emelia and A.versicolor soon.
For someone scared of spiders you are certainly are starting with some winners hahaha, funny as can be.

Gaboon vipers (beautiful snakes) are not the same as Ts. Not to mention that Gaboon's have very, very mild dispositions esp for a hot, relative to other venomous species. On the flip side, one mistake with a Gaboon and you might die, one mistake with a T, and you likely won't. In general I find snakes much more predictable than Ts.

Have fun and enjoy the wonderful colors these animals come in.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
For someone scared of spiders you are certainly are starting with some winners hahaha, funny as can be.

Gaboon vipers (beautiful snakes) are not the same as Ts. Not to mention that Gaboon's have very, very mild dispositions esp for a hot, relative to other venomous species. On the flip side, one mistake with a Gaboon and you might die, one mistake with a T, and you likely won't. In general I find snakes much more predictable than Ts.

Have fun and enjoy the wonderful colors these animals come in.
Haha, I have a chilli rose too. But, that just sits in my hand and doesn't move, it doesn't get me over my fear because it's not doing what actually freaks me out about spiders. Which is their "erratic" fast movement.

A bit off topic...but do you keep venomous snakes? I agree, non venomous are definitely more predictable than T's. But there are a lot of venomous species that are very unpredictable, PNG taipans, Forest Cobras, South American Lanceheads, Gaboons for example. Gaboons are probably the most unpredictable snake in the world, they'll go from 0-100 with absolutely no indiction they're going to.

My female Gaboon is the most volatile snake I've ever worked with, and I keep things like the notorious Bothrops asper.

I just used the venomous thing to show that I'm used to working around animals, that you need to be on your toes with, and I'm not the irresponsible type.

Oh and thanks :)

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Haha, I have a chilli rose too. But, that just sits in my hand and doesn't move, it doesn't get me over my fear because it's not doing what actually freaks me out about spiders. Which is their "erratic" fast movement.

A bit off topic...but do you keep venomous snakes? I agree, non venomous are definitely more predictable than T's. But there are a lot of venomous species that are very unpredictable, PNG taipans, Forest Cobras, South American Lanceheads, Gaboons for example. Gaboons are probably the most unpredictable snake in the world, they'll go from 0-100 with absolutely no indiction they're going to.

My female Gaboon is the most volatile snake I've ever worked with, and I keep things like the notorious Bothrops asper.

I just used the venomous thing to show that I'm used to working around animals, that you need to be on your toes with, and I'm not the irresponsible type.

Oh and thanks :)
also off topic but realy you consider gaboons to be unpredictable? iv worked with many and i suppose they where broken, as they never so much as mock charged me.. mild as a corn snake haha.. well then again i know a guy with a few taipan, costals i believe, and its pretty tame too. iv worked with it a few times... must be on sedatives ;)

tweakz

Arachnosquire
I'm not looking to get anything faster than the Trinidad.
Well there's very few that are. Personally believe that once you can handle psalmos you can handle anything, aside from taps, never owned any and I don't really feel the urge to.

Crotalid

Arachnopeon
Well there's very few that are. Personally believe that once you can handle psalmos you can handle anything, aside from taps, never owned any and I don't really feel the urge to.
Ah I see. Well, to be honest I'm not even going to handle it. And when I rehouse it, I will most likely just make sure the new enclosure is bigger than the old one, so I can open it and leave it in, letting it come out in it's own time - in theory.

also off topic but realy you consider gaboons to be unpredictable? iv worked with many and i suppose they where broken, as they never so much as mock charged me.. mild as a corn snake haha.. well then again i know a guy with a few taipan, costals i believe, and its pretty tame too. iv worked with it a few times... must be on sedatives ;)
Go on a venomous snake forum, or group on Facebook, and ask them if Gaboons are unpredictable. You'll get a yes from every person that keeps Gaboons.

The fact the majority of them are relatively calm 99% of the time, is one of the reasons why they're unpredictable. They will at some point flip out, and that 1% of the time they'll often give no indiction they're going to.

I've had my female Gaboon, eating her food, nearly all the way down..then suddenly she throws it out of her mouth and launches herself out of her enclosure at me.

Admittedly I have a very badly behaved Gaboon. But if you keep Gaboons long enough, and you treat them as predictable you'll end up in a coffin.

You don't know what you're going to get. It's not like my western diamondback, I know every single time without fail, he will try and bite the minute his enclosure is open. But a Gaboon, you have to wait and see till you hook it, even then on multiple occasions I've had them calmly sitting there, and they randomly decide to flip out.

My male on the contrary, has only flipped out twice. It would've been quite easy for me to assume he's "docile" and predictable from his usual behaviour, and if I had, I would've been bitten on both of those occasions.

Oh and coastals aren't really anything bad, it's the PNG's that's are crazy.

Last edited:

tweakz

Arachnosquire
Ah I see. Well, to be honest I'm not even going to handle it. And when I rehouse it, I will most likely just make sure the new enclosure is bigger than the old one, so I can open it and leave it in, letting it come out in it's own time - in theory.
:laugh:Just spit beer all over my lap LOL I didn't mean holding one please don't ever do that. I meant handling anything as in once you have dealt with their speed and defensiveness you're ready for just about any T. If you plan on getting into OW's I would actually suggest doing rehousing the traditional way. I always say that Psalmos are like OW's with training wheels, they prepare you for OW speed and reaction but if you get tagged the venom is fairly mild.