Moving out of US

jamielh92

Arachnopeon
My fiancé is in the Army, so there's a chance, no matter how small it may be, that we may have to move outside of the U.S. Naturally, I'm concerned about what I would do with my tarantulas if this were the case, as I refuse to just get rid of them.

Any input would be really appreciated.

awiec

Arachnoprince
My fiancé is in the Army, so there's a chance, no matter how small it may be, that we may have to move outside of the U.S. Naturally, I'm concerned about what I would do with my tarantulas if this were the case, as I refuse to just get rid of them.

Any input would be really appreciated.
This is a question of the customs of the country you are going to, not us. There is a good chance that you will have to get rid of them, as there might be extensive paper work to import/export them. Perhaps see if a major T importer can help you.

Steve123

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Well, you can probably bring them with you, but awiec is correct that there will be paperwork and perhaps fees. And it's true it depends on the country you're going to, not us. One block may be certain countries in tropical or subtropical climes, where species that can invade are prohibited (the U.S. prohibits tarantula import into Hawaii for this reason). Maybe try looking up the country and having a look at their import restrictions. Good luck there.

cold blood

Staff member
Being it a military move, I would assume the move would be a temporary one, like a year or three ,maybe....I dunno for sure as I am not in the military...but if its temporary, and depending on the extensiveness of your collection, I'd bet there would be a few (experienced) keepers willing to help hold them. There seems to be a lot of individuals from your state active on the boards....I'd offer, but I'm on the other side of the big pond.

Good luck, and of course, mad props to your spouse!

awiec

Arachnoprince
Being it a military move, I would assume the move would be a temporary one, like a year or three ,maybe....I dunno for sure as I am not in the military...but if its temporary, and depending on the extensiveness of your collection, I'd bet there would be a few (experienced) keepers willing to help hold them. There seems to be a lot of individuals from your state active on the boards....I'd offer, but I'm on the other side of the big pond.

Yeah that is true myself and other Michiganders are active here and there are some other locals who I think would offer babysitting services

Last edited:

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon

Jaimie is Stateside too... o_O.. that being said, I thought of that too. Jaimie have you thought about finding "foster parents" for your brood? I'm quite sure there are many people that would be willing to foster some of or all of your T's. (depending on size of your collection)

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
I would also note you need to find out if you'd be living on or off base, and find out what animals you can or cannot keep if on base. I would have your fiance look into that.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well you refuse to get rid of them, I applaud the tarantula loyalty! and if you are not allowed to keep them maybe your fiancé will be leaving without you.

You have no say in the matter of bringing them to another country, it's their law.

samatwwe

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm in the Army as well. Usually when you get stationed in a different country it's for a year, although on some occasions it could be two. Your fiancé should be able to find out if there are any projections for his unit to get stationed out of the US. Usually you can find out ahead of time through your unit. Good luck

jamielh92

Arachnopeon
I'm in the Army as well. Usually when you get stationed in a different country it's for a year, although on some occasions it could be two. Your fiancé should be able to find out if there are any projections for his unit to get stationed out of the US. Usually you can find out ahead of time through your unit. Good luck
Haha, that would be super helpful if he weren't getting switched to a new unit what seems like at least once every 6 months. Because he's always the "new guy," it seems like he's the last to know anything and plans are constantly changing.

Thanks for all the input from everyone else too. I figured my best bet would be to just find someone here to take care of them here, especially since that travel would be stressful on my T's. If nothing else, I guess I might just have to get new ones if we are stationed overseas and then just figure out how to bring them back with me. Adding to my collection, how terrible. ;D

awiec

Arachnoprince
Haha, that would be super helpful if he weren't getting switched to a new unit what seems like at least once every 6 months. Because he's always the "new guy," it seems like he's the last to know anything and plans are constantly changing.

Thanks for all the input from everyone else too. I figured my best bet would be to just find someone here to take care of them here, especially since that travel would be stressful on my T's. If nothing else, I guess I might just have to get new ones if we are stationed overseas and then just figure out how to bring them back with me. Adding to my collection, how terrible. ;D
You would have to become friends with an importer because even importing to the us is very pricey and requires lots of paper work.