Trying to ID this spider.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
I found this spider at work and I'm trying to figure out what it is exactly. I live on Long Island if that helps. Let me know if the picture is too blurry and I'll try to get a better one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HungryGhost

Arachnoknight
It's an orb weaver. I'm not sure which one but I've got them in my yard too. They spin some strong webbing!

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Yes he did! A customer came up to me and said there was a spider in one of the sections and it had made a huge web in front of a couple shelves.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
Yup I think I just found it. A garden orb weaver neoscona crucifera according to one website. thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Any tips on how to keep it alive? I think my co worker plans on keeping it for a while if possible.

jecraque

Arachnobaron
Orb weavers don't typically do that well in captivity--they need a lot of room for webs. I'd ask your coworker to consider letting it go and keeping a wolf spider or jumper instead.

Hanska

Arachnobaron
Orb weavers don't typically do that well in captivity--they need a lot of room for webs. I'd ask your coworker to consider letting it go and keeping a wolf spider or jumper instead.
As he said. Not only room for the web but good ventilation and most likely somekind of voodoo magic and/or power crystals from another dimention.

miserykills

Arachnosquire
She used to have a jumping spider but it died. For some reason we get a lot of weird spiders at my job. It's pretty cool but obviously the customers aren't to fond of them. Hopefully if there's any more orb weavers around they'll eat the moths we have lol. I'll let her know they need more space than we can give it and try to find something more suitable.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I just thought I'd say I caught a cross orbweaver oh... several weeks ago, probably (not sure of exact time) and it's doing just fine. It's molted twice, even, and loves anything I toss in its web. It's in a 5 gallon tank turned on end with a sheet of plexiglass with 3 long rows of 9 holes in the plexiglass.