wild tarantula

eliascalles

Arachnopeon
hola

thanks to this board what a wonderful resource! I have found a large tarantula in my living room. I am trying to search the boards for basic care and feeding information but I really don't know what kind of tarantula it is so it's hard to know what information pertains. I have posted a photo to the appropriate forum photo ID place.

so far it's been about a week or week and a half. I have it (him? her?) it a very large glass container and have been feeding it whatever bugs I can find. so far it eats everything quickly (beetles and large horse type flies mostly). it rejected the cockroach. I gave it some water in a small dish and it seemed to drink it ( the water was gone the next day).

my question (other than what is it) is can I over feed it? must i be wary of what type of bug I give it?

this is clearly my first spider.

thanks!

ps- we are in mexico, baja california sur about 2km back from the pacific ocean. it's about 4.5 inches across newamigo.jpg if that helps in ID.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know the exact species but it is more than likely an Aphonopelma sp. It is also a mature male and wont live much longer, its sole purpose in life is to mate now. I would let it go so it can do its job :)

CLICKBANGBANG

Arachnopeon
Like mentioned, I'd wait till dark, and then let it go (outside ;) ).

I lived in Colonia Guerrero for a few years. I loved living near the beach.

eliascalles

Arachnopeon
ok thank you for the information! I don't want to get in this fellow's way of mating so I will let him go. we have many scorpions and giant centipedes that come in the house but this is our first tarantula.

I enjoyed watching him eat his beetles.

thanks again for the information.

Akai

Arachnobaron
can't say for certain what kind of tarantula it is but its definitely a mature male as the tibial hooks are clearly present and how leggy it is. most wandering tarantulas you might find in the wild are going to be males searching for a mate and he just wants to get some lovin before he passes on. his mortality clock is ticking. i hope he gets the job done. :love: