Molt delaying

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
TL;DR: Can tarantulas push back their molt until it is safe to do so?

Backstory:
I recently transferred my GBB sling (~1.5") into a nice new enclosure, but the substrate was s bit damp so he was all huffy and hung out on a little platform near the lid (the really useful box has a weird setup). I kept trying to herd him down into his hide when the substrate dried out, but every night he was back up, and has now made himself a web platform up there. I know he is in premolt as he has been refusing food for a while and the colors are getting dull. Eventually I realized how dumb I was being and just let him do what he wanted, and I am curious if my stupidity/stressing him out caused him to refuse molting for longer than need be since he was stressed out. Thoughts?

awiec

Arachnoprince
I interrupted my n.chromatus sling on accident yesterday when I was doing roll call. It flipped back over and hid. It then resumed a few hours later and molted successfully. It sounds like it's readjusting to the new digs and will molt when it feels safe. Perhaps put it somewhere quiet and dark like a closet for a few days, that should help it relax faster. I've transferred ts and have them molt hours after transfer so some adjust faster than others.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It makes since that it would hold of molting until it felt more secure hence the web platform. They can hold of molting for a short time. Seems that it would stress the spider more

cold blood

Staff member
You hear it all the time with people who keep a lot of t's....Get a week of rain or high humidity and they seem to molt in mass. There's got to be certain environmental triggers that they seem to prefer IME. Just last week we had nearly a week of exceptional humidity, I had 7 molts, and I only have 17 t's. Some of those had been in pre-molt for a long time (like 3.5 weeks for a 1.5" P. cam), others molted before I even knew they were pre-molt (mmmmm, good hiders they were).

philthyxphil

Arachnopeon
I adopted a G pulchripes from a friend who had no business owning a tarantula. He kept it in a cube shaped enclosure with less than an inch of substrate. The day I got it, I added more substrate, and overnight it had borrowed and molted. Maybe it was just scheduled to molt, but I like to think it was waiting until it felt secure.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
You hear it all the time with people who keep a lot of t's....Get a week of rain or high humidity and they seem to molt in mass. There's got to be certain environmental triggers that they seem to prefer IME. Just last week we had nearly a week of exceptional humidity, I had 7 molts, and I only have 17 t's. Some of those had been in pre-molt for a long time (like 3.5 weeks for a 1.5" P. cam), others molted before I even knew they were pre-molt (mmmmm, good hiders they were).
Interesting discovery! Realy cool to know!

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sprocket just molted :D
Perhaps wetting some substrate helped, but he did have plenty of time (2 weeks).

fuzzyavics72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
High humidity will trigger molts and egg sacs. Depending on species since, I don't use damp substrate for dryer species, but the damp ecoearth helps bring up the humidity and there's a molt or egg sac lol.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
High humidity will trigger molts and egg sacs.
+1. I get dozens of spiders molting when we've had a few rainy days, which would lead me to believe that they're ready to go and wait for favorable circumstances.

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
+1. I get dozens of spider molting when we've had a few rainy days, which would lead me to believe that they're ready to go and wait for favorable circumstances.
Sometimes I try to "encourage" molts by upping the humidity a bit, the Ts don't know it's not the wet season but it helps them to decide when to molt.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Sometimes I try to "encourage" molts by upping the humidity a bit, the Ts don't know it's not the wet season but it helps them to decide when to molt.
When it's warm/hot, molting at a dry time can be risky. Much better to molt when the humidity's higher so the molting fluids don't dry prematurely.

awiec

Arachnoprince
When it's warm/hot, molting at a dry time can be risky. Much better to molt when the humidity's higher so the molting fluids don't dry prematurely.
Very much so, I don't like having to pull spiders out of molts if I can avoid it so I provide the best environment I can for them during that time.