I need HELP with B. EMILIA SLING.

Tawaurianz

Arachnopeon
Dear tarantula experts,

I have bought a B. Emilia sling two weeks ago with the size of ~2-2.5cm. It is very active digging and customizing the premade tunnel made by me. When I tried to feed him, well he just ignored the food I gave. So now, I am assuming he is in a premolt stage. His abdomen is pretty plumpy actually. So when I assumed he is in a premolt stage, I am now afraid what would happen if he molt in that small tunnel which only fits him to hide, not to molt. And now, he is freaking me out because he blocked his entrance! I have cleared the entrance last 3 days but then he blocked it again.

Sorry I don't have pictures of him because currently I am in my office, I can only sketch something like below. Hope you experts can give some idea.

Picture #1: His tunnel system
Untitled-1.jpg

Picture #2: Blocked tunnel system
Untitled-2.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
110% normal pre-molt behavior. STOP clearing out the entrance...he wants the privacy of a closed door, this is how they keep predators out, they feel vulnerable at that stage....because they are...lol. If the t needs room, it will clear it, it knows what its doing, its not its first time.

just1moreT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just leave him be he will come out when get hungry like you said premolt is what is going on. He will molt fine in his tunnel they can molt I, very tight spaces yes it is a bummer not always being able see are 8 legged pets

skippydude

Arachnobaron
The sling knows what it is doing. Leave it be and quit clearing the entrance or risk stressing it out, which can cause a bad molt. Just continue to offer food on feeding day and water, of course remove any uneaten food.

Akai

Arachnobaron
tarantulas can molt in tight spaces. i've had hundreds molt in their shipping containers on their way to me from slings to adults. additionally its normal as others have said for a t to block its burrow when its going to molt. i had a p.irminia juvenile that webbed herself in her cork tube. i didnt see her for a month. tarantulas know what they are doing and its often the owner who does not. peace, privacy and security is what your sling needs. a magical transformation is around the corner.

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
It's absolutely 100% okay. Take a deep breath, calm down. Your tarantula knows what is best for it. It can and will molt in tight, enclosed spaces. If it blocks off its enclosure, even if it isn't molting, leave it be. It does that sort of thing for a reason. One day, you will find it outside the burrow again.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
The substrate used to block the burrow enterance is brought up from inside the burrow, so there is more room than you think.

ColinBaker

Arachnopeon
The substrate used to block the burrow enterance is brought up from inside the burrow, so there is more room than you think.
Agreed, I have a few slings that have built this same setup, but I can see from the bottom that they've hollowed out a little cave for themselves. I know it's unnerving, I have one that I can't see as well. I just make sure to pre kill any prey I feed if I'm unsure if they're moulting, just in case a cricket finds the burrow.