Is this the end?!?

tech

Arachnopeon
I came home tonight to my male GBB and noticed he's kinda curled up with his legs tucked in. When I opened the tank he tried to move but is very wobbly. I've had him just over 3 years so am not sure the average lifespan of a male GBB. He's the first T I ever bought as a sling. Here's a pic.

Attachments

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
have you tried putting him in an ICU with a water dish?

as far as what I can see of his tank... he needs alot more substrate.. does he have a hide? access to water??

from what I have gleaned from reading seemingly hundreds of threads about this, about spiders with very similar body postures, alot of the time it can be saved by putting them in an ICU, with access to fresh water. The problem is often dehydration which if you don't do anything about will kill him..... :(

Hopefully someone else with more experience can chime in with more pointed advice. Hope he makes it!

awiec

Arachnoprince
If he's mature then it's his time to go, 3 years sounds about right and Im sure he had a good life. All you can do is let him die in piece and maybe grab a new gbb sling to enjoy all over again.

tech

Arachnopeon
He always has had water available to him. I opened the tank tonite to change his water which is when I noticed him very wobbly. I have done some research on lifespan and it seems my GBB has lived a good long time.

awiec

Arachnoprince
He always has had water available to him. I opened the tank tonite to change his water which is when I noticed him very wobbly.
Well you can try an ICU but I think he will die soon if he's mature anyway but sometimes ts need more water in the summer or he may not even know the water dish is there

tech

Arachnopeon
I've seen him at the dish so he knows its there. He's been in this tank for about a year. Here's a baby pic.

Attachments

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
setting up an ICU

ok, I found an old sticky by Stan Shultz about the purpose of an ICU and how to properly set up and utilize one.

GOOD LUCK!! keep us posted!

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?171487-Intensive-Care-Unit-(ICU)&highlight=intensive+care

yeah ok, well I was researching and finding the icu post apparently everyone else has already answered too.. now I look like a blowhard.. LOL sorry.!!

Last edited:

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
GBB males start looking haggardly pretty quick after maturity. Chances are, he's just nearing the end of his life cycle. You should buy another sling, maybe it will turn out to be a female and you'll get to enjoy it longer!

telepatella

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GBB males start looking haggardly pretty quick after maturity. Chances are, he's just nearing the end of his life cycle. You should buy another sling, maybe it will turn out to be a female and you'll get to enjoy it longer!
Good job on giving a T healthy life. Did he mate?

ArachnoSlash

Arachnopeon
Same as my MM darlingi. He have that kind of problem 5 times. And I always put him ICU whhen he do that. So thats only the solution. So your T was supposedly dehydrated.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Three years is fairly average, but they can definitely last much longer. There's nothing you can do now but keep him hydrated, I suggest keeping him in something smaller and placing him near his water dish as opposed to an ICU.
My mature male lasted a bit over a year mature, but towards the last few months he was really slow and scraggly looking. He didn't stop eating until a week before he passed though!

I have a couple of questions, for interests sake:
Did you get him at second instar, or know when he was hatched?
How long ago was his last (maturing) molt?

Thanks.