HELP How to travel with T's?

PsyC

Arachnosquire
Hi. im moving country, i dont know how to take the T's (they are 5 in total). can i take them in the airplain or its better to send them by post? and how should i should i travel with them, should i put them individualy in small containers with some moisted paper? or there is another way?

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Honestly I doubt you will be able to take them on the airplane. Packing them individually sounds good though. As for as shipping I honestly don't have an answer there are so many rules and regulations and permits. hopefully someone here on the boards has gone through this situation and can give some incite. It might help to include what country your moving to. sorry I cant give you an answer. I hope everything works out.

Enn49

Arachnosquire
Within the EU you should be ok but you will probably best off speaking to Customs first to check. I'm sure you will still need papers of some sort.

Akai

Arachnobaron
Portugal? That's like a 2 1/2 hour plane ride from the UK. Good luck but yeah I'd check with customs.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've put Ts packed individually in my luggage under the plane...in winter....in Canada.

Specifically a Female P. regalis comes to mind. 10 hours in the baggage, she was quite cold and imobile when I got her out I thought she was dead. But after a few hours inside she came to and was fine. I sold her later and she's apparently a good breeder.

IMO, pack them individually in boxes/tupperware with holes in it and paper towel to hold them securely in place and then pack that in the inner part of your suitcase insulated with clothes. They should be fine.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
But what im afraid of is if i need any documents to travel with the T's. I dont want to arrive to Portugal and have the police waiting for me for importing tarantulas illegaly to portugal. Thats my only concern.
I already thought taking them inside the luggage and not saying anything

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
the only thing I can think of is to call portugals immigration office and ask them if they know anything about the regulations for bringing your spiders into the country or if they would be able to give you a number there that would have that information and inquire what their local import laws are in regards to tarantulas.

darthcider

Arachnopeon
Try the DEFRA website, there's info on there and a helpline number, 0845 so local call charge.

awiec

Arachnoprince
the only thing I can think of is to call portugals immigration office and ask them if they know anything about the regulations for bringing your spiders into the country or if they would be able to give you a number there that would have that information and inquire what their local import laws are in regards to tarantulas.
Seriously do this. We're an international board but most of us probably are not experienced in papers and spider importation regulations. If you have to sell your Ts then so be it but they are not worth getting in trouble with the authorities in the country you're moving to just because you didn't want to do the research to figure out the regulations.

PsyC

Arachnosquire
sadly i will need to sell my t's, they wont be able to come with me :(