Tarantula Roll

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Anyone else see this before? She rolled up some substrate in silk and made a cylinder out of it o_O

IMG_20140827_174559.jpg

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mine does this, I think it happens when they try to gather up dirt that has silk laid on top of it, causing them to roll it up

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've seen this before it's very endearing I think. Love watching them do the strange things... My Rosie makes sushi rolls too

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
I think I've seen other keepers refer to it as "rolling up the carpet", which is what it looks like to me. I've always figured it's their way of doing some housekeeping because mine tend to roll the rolled up sub into an out of the way corner. As such I usually take it out but one of my girls, Lilith my very large, aggro G.porteri, actually ran up and tried to fight over it-physically grabbing and pulling it away from my tongs as if to say "No that's mine!".

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I took it out only because it was a bit of an eyesore. But I am always amazed by what they manage to do lol

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
I think I've seen other keepers refer to it as "rolling up the carpet", which is what it looks like to me. I've always figured it's their way of doing some housekeeping because mine tend to roll the rolled up sub into an out of the way corner. As such I usually take it out but one of my girls, Lilith my very large, aggro G.porteri, actually ran up and tried to fight over it-physically grabbing and pulling it away from my tongs as if to say "No that's mine!".
Haha omg that's hilarious. These guys are so strange, I'm sure it makes sense to them though =)

Hanska

Arachnobaron
My Rosie STEALS it back too... Oopsie :)
Your spiders have hoarding problems. They need professional help.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Lately I've been saving their 'carpet' when I re-house them. I replace after giving fresh substrate, for terrestrials it really does reduce stress.. Even got my escape-artist to settle down and relax.

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
My irminia does something like this, making tunnels out of webbing and then covering them with substrate.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
Lately I've been saving their 'carpet' when I re-house them. I replace after giving fresh substrate, for terrestrials it really does reduce stress.. Even got my escape-artist to settle down and relax.
That's a great idea.

Question : Does it matter if you give a "roll" from one tarantula to another? Do they recognize it as another spiders web and dislike it?

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
That's a great idea.

Question : Does it matter if you give a "roll" from one tarantula to another? Do they recognize it as another spiders web and dislike it?
I'd imagine they can tell it was another spiders web from things like pheromones, which means they would have a fear of being eating by the other T. I'd imagine it would be like traveling with your pillow from home, it helps you relax into a different environment because you bring a bit of that environment with you, using a strangers pillow I'll pass :p

timisimaginary

Arachnosquire
i think it definitely helps, my recently rehoused GBB spent the first two weeks hanging out on the web i had transferred over from his old container, during which time he also molted. he has only just recently begun exploring the rest of his enclosure.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My irminia does something like this, making tunnels out of webbing and then covering them with substrate.
Those are actually called dirt curtains (which I find to be an unexplainably adorable term). Psalmos, Tappies and Poecs (probably really any low to the ground dwelling arboreal) all do this. :3

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I'd imagine they can tell it was another spiders web from things like pheromones, which means they would have a fear of being eating by the other T. I'd imagine it would be like traveling with your pillow from home, it helps you relax into a different environment because you bring a bit of that environment with you, using a strangers pillow I'll pass :p
They dont seem to care. I'll introduce new specimens into containers that were previously occupied by others, and they never freak out. I actually see aphonopelma juveniles take over abandoned trapdoor spider burrows all the time

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Those are actually called dirt curtains (which I find to be an unexplainably adorable term). Psalmos, Tappies and Poecs (probably really any low to the ground dwelling arboreal) all do this. :3
Dirt curtains is such a funny name but explains it perfectly- my emerald skeleton mskes a huge funnel of substrate and web and makes little rooms under ground w tunnels like an antfarm sorta