Fangs deformed and seem imobile after molting

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HI everyone! It's been awhile since i've been on here. I have a small dilema. My AF N. coloratovillosus molted a couple weeks ago and her fangs got stuck. I had been keeping a close eye on her because she had a bad molt last time and I had to pluck and clip away quite a bit of exuvium that remained in between her abdomen and carapace. It was inot allowing her to move freely. She was fine afterwrds but I was worried about this molt going bad. I knew she was in trouble because all her legs were out but I couldn't see her fresh fangs. Closer inspection with a good flashlight revealed they were still encased. I immediately got worried since the fangs usually shed before pulling the legs. I left her go for awhile hoping she'd get them out but after about an hour she hadn't made any more progress and was actually flinching as if she was panicking. I made a really risky decision to carefully lift her out ad see if I could help free her fangs. I know alot of you will frown upon that but I was afraid she'd die if I didn't try. And I knew I could kil her as well, Damned if I do...damned if I don't. Anyway I tapped on her chelicerae and could tell they were the old dry and unshed. I was able to crack them open and saw the new chelicerae beneath. I kept going until I had her fangs out however they seem way underdeveloped and deformed. One sticks straight out and I don't think she has use of the other. Other than that I thought she would pull through so I left her alone for awhile. She seems fine and moves around fine...thank goodness. Now after my long winded story my last concern is her eating. I realize Ts have survived well without fangs and some TLC. I was hoping she would regain use of at least the one but I think it is frozen. It's bee two weeks since she molted so I tried feeding her. She always had a nasty temperment and would slap and extend her fangs so I put a wiggly mealworm right under her fangs hoping she'd extend the one but nothing. I then cut the mealworm and squeezed it with my feeder tongs to get the goop. Then I lifted her up with another set of tongs beneath her front legs and deposited the goop in her mouth. Amazingly she seems ok with me doing this. If that's what I have to do I will but now I'm worried about her next molt...lol

succinct

Arachnopeon
Had the same problem with a P. regalis. A person that knew I kept tarantulas give her to me after a horrible molt. Just mash up some crickets/mealworms and water. I used a dropper to feed her. She ended up going into a molt a few weeks later. The fangs where fine after the molt.

Just over feed her until she goes into premolt stage. Then the fangs will grow back.

I would also start water loading your prey from now on. Bad molts is caused by too little humidity OR to little internal moisture. I take any veggie in the fridge that is going bad. grate it, then soak it in cold water for about an hour. Feed it to the prey. They will gorge themselves and the tarantula will get the extra moisture.

I understand that is what water dishes are for, but some tarantulas will not use water dishes, period.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Had the same problem with a P. regalis. A person that knew I kept tarantulas give her to me after a horrible molt. Just mash up some crickets/mealworms and water. I used a dropper to feed her. She ended up going into a molt a few weeks later. The fangs where fine after the molt.

Just over feed her until she goes into premolt stage. Then the fangs will grow back.

I would also start water loading your prey from now on. Bad molts is caused by too little humidity OR to little internal moisture. I take any veggie in the fridge that is going bad. grate it, then soak it in cold water for about an hour. Feed it to the prey. They will gorge themselves and the tarantula will get the extra moisture.

I understand that is what water dishes are for, but some tarantulas will not use water dishes, period.
Realy
smart thing to do!! :)