Chilobrachys andersoni?

Jterry

Arachnosquire
When I was new(ish) to the hobby, I bought a pretty orange T labeled "Chilobrachys andersoni" or "Burmese Mustard Tarantula". He is now penultimate and I've noticed that in all of the time that I've owned him I have never seen or heard anyone talk about C. andersoni and I'm wondering why. Is Chilobrachys andersoni a correct species name? I'm wondering if it's like C. crawshayi/ P. muticus or P. pederseni/ P. vittata in that it used to be known as C. andersoni but the species name has been changed. Or is this just a T that you don't frequently see in the hobby? If anyone can give me any information about this I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

Enn49

Arachnosquire
When I was new(ish) to the hobby, I bought a pretty orange T labeled "Chilobrachys andersoni" or "Burmese Mustard Tarantula". He is now penultimate and I've noticed that in all of the time that I've owned him I have never seen or heard anyone talk about C. andersoni and I'm wondering why. Is Chilobrachys andersoni a correct species name? I'm wondering if it's like C. crawshayi/ P. muticus or P. pederseni/ P. vittata in that it used to be known as C. andersoni but the species name has been changed. Or is this just a T that you don't frequently see in the hobby? If anyone can give me any information about this I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!

I've just had a quick look and there are a couple of online shops in the UK still selling them as C. andersoni.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I will assume not many keep these, as the C. fimbriatus are way more colorful than the "simply brownish" C. andersoni. It is, however, to my knowledge the biggest of the genus. According to Platnick there hasn't been any changes to the species description.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I will assume not many keep these, as the C. fimbriatus are way more colorful than the "simply brownish" C. andersoni. It is, however, to my knowledge the biggest of the genus. According to Platnick there hasn't been any changes to the species description.
It's an interesting genus, very industrious, they love to spin and dig. Should be more common in the hobby. I've got a couple w/c velvety jet black females nearly 7", of an undetermined species (along with fimbriatus, guangxiensis, dyscolus, and Vietnam Blue, and would like to get a few more).

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's an interesting genus, very industrious, they love to spin and dig. Should be more common in the hobby. I've got a couple w/c velvety jet black females nearly 7", of an undetermined species (along with fimbriatus, guangxiensis, dyscolus, and Vietnam Blue, and would like to get a few more).
Yeah, the genus itself is interesting indeed. Was just saying the andersoni itself is seldomly kept. The others you find more often in collections. Also - can you get a pic of said undescribed T? Would like to see that one.

Jterry

Arachnosquire
Also - can you get a pic of said undescribed T? Would like to see that one.

Edited because I realized you were addressing Poec and not me :p

Thanks for all the feedback guys, good to know that C. andersoni is a real species name :) haha. He's pretty handsome, fun to watch, and definitely my "creepiest" T-- he's very leggy and moves eeeeever so slowly out of his hole, one long, creepy leg at a time. He's great.

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for all the feedback guys, good to know that C. andersoni is a real species name :) haha. He's pretty handsome, fun to watch, and definitely my "creepiest" T-- he's very leggy and moves eeeeever so slowly out of his hole, one long, creepy leg at a time. He's great.
I wouldn't underestimate the one. My fimbriatus can move like that and in the blink of an eye they switch to "full assault" :D But, yes - extremely entertaining and fun to watch. As long as you're not on the receiving end of their fangs... :D

Jterry

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't underestimate the one. My fimbriatus can move like that and in the blink of an eye they switch to "full assault" :D But, yes - extremely entertaining and fun to watch. As long as you're not on the receiving end of their fangs... :D
Haha oh absolutely!! He's so fun to watch for that reason. He's really creepy and slow and then BAM! He's out and back in before my eyes can even register what's happening. Anyway, I found a couple of (kind of crappy) pictures I took of him a few months ago.

Attachments

Strip Ts

Arachnopeon
I too have C. Andersoni. He has not let me see more than his front legs since I got him. He is a good webber though

Nerdsalad

Arachnopeon
I have a C. andersoni mine makes gorgeous tunnels, I do see mine frequently, but that may be an anomaly. As long as there is plenty of room for him to retreat to we don't have negative interactions.

Fahaam

Arachnopeon
I have a C. andersoni mine makes gorgeous tunnels, I do see mine frequently, but that may be an anomaly. As long as there is plenty of room for him to retreat to we don't have negative interactions.
can u kindly please share some pictures