Dwarf Species

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I just got several dwarf species (Cyriocosmus and Hapalopus), and had no idea they were so fast. They remind me of Lycosids in shape and speed. I took the first Hapalopus Colombia Large out if it's vial, and it darted out on my hand, then up my arm, and finally on the back of my shirt before I could catch it. I had to take off my shirt to get it. Once I caught it, I said: "Well, only 7 more to go!" As it turned out, the first one was the worst, probably because I didn't know hat to expect.

Do they settle down once they're in a cage and have a retreat or do they stay wired?

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mine is skittish at time, but has calmed down quite some. Unless spooked, the T just sits there like any other.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Mine is skittish at time, but has calmed down quite some. Unless spooked, the T just sits there like any other.
That's good, as mine are around an 1", and in 16 oz deli cups. I don't want to have to worry about them running out whenever I'm doing maintenance. A few ran in circles on the sides of the cups when I put them in, and the tapping of their feet was pretty loud.

Oumriel

Arachnosquire
My male was pretty chilled out until his maturing molt. Now he is wired and on a mission. Lol

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
I thought dwarfs tarantulas were known for being the result of Illegal experimentation on animals with caffeine... Stunts there growth and wires them like pint sized poecs! (speed wise anyways)

Same thing happened to me and my bro with our H.incei.... "alright broski these thing are fast so be careful" "I KNOW" "how do you know?" BECAUSE ITS ON MY BACK!"

aaahhh memories :)

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My Hapalopus sp.columbia vary between being super skittish and almost off-puttingly confident. Their moods seem to change like switching a light on or off. My C.elegans vary between pet holes and extremely bold little beasties. Both species are a hoot to watch eat because both seem to confidently take down live prey even at earlier instars-when a B.smithi sling, for example, is still running away terrified.

Edit. As to them calming down, 50/50 and don't count on it. I had one of my Cyriocosmus burst out of it's burrow/web fortress at me one day after watering her, which was not her usual course of action (completely ignoring or oblivious to the watering).

Last edited:

awiec

Arachnoprince
My H. sp Columbia is always ready to go, whenever I open the cage it hones in where I'm opening from and then sits there waiting to get out, I have to use distraction tactics with it to get it to stay in the cage. Even in premolt it's pretty feisty, and it's the only T I've had get away from me, I did catch it a few seconds later as it didn't go very far but they are surprisingly fast. I think that my specimen might just be an odd one of the bunch but I assume that all of the species will be speedy when they want to.

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
My H. sp Columbia is always ready to go, whenever I open the cage it hones in where I'm opening from and then sits there waiting to get out, I have to use distraction tactics with it to get it to stay in the cage. Even in premolt it's pretty feisty, and it's the only T I've had get away from me, I did catch it a few seconds later as it didn't go very far but they are surprisingly fast. I think that my specimen might just be an odd one of the bunch but I assume that all of the species will be speedy when they want to.
Mine do this occasionally as well, albeit in a less aggressive way. Mine don't try to escape per se, they'll just sometimes start waltzing out as if I've opened it with the express intent of letting them out. Wrangling them back in can be fun because if they don't want to go back in, they can be fast but at least for me, that speed usually just involves zipping to the other side of the cup. But until I bother them, they usually just stroll along at a leisurely pace.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Mine do this occasionally as well, albeit in a less aggressive way. Mine don't try to escape per se, they'll just sometimes start waltzing out as if I've opened it with the express intent of letting them out. Wrangling them back in can be fun because if they don't want to go back in, they can be fast but at least for me, that speed usually just involves zipping to the other side of the cup. But until I bother them, they usually just stroll along at a leisurely pace.
Mine used to be that way but it has became much more bolder in its juvie age, if it would stop mangling its molt I might be able to figure out if it's just an active immature male or a female with attitude.

goodoldneon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've yet to come across a slow tarantula. Given the right circumstances, they're all greased lightning.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
As to them calming down, 50/50 and don't count on it. I had one of my Cyriocosmus burst out of it's burrow/web fortress at me one day after watering her, which was not her usual course of action (completely ignoring or oblivious to the watering).
The Cyriocosmus (ritae and leetzi) were calm initially, which lulled me into a false sense of confidence when I opened the Hapalopus vials to put them into deli cups. After I had them set up I went back to the Cyriocosmus to put them in deli cups and then they started darting around too. One of the ritae even spread it's chelicerae during the process, which was pretty funny (1" spider telling me to back off). This is reminiscent of Asian terrestrials. I guess when you're that small, you have to be quick to avoid being a meal for something larger.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Cyriocosmus bertae is fairly placid inside its enclosure. It never bolts but is more prone to be defensive. My Hapalopus sp. Columbia small, on the other hand, always seems prone to bolt, and man is it fast. If the lid comes off, I need to be ready. Luckily, Hapalopus don't seem to be very feisty, at least in my limited experience. They're fun to work with and they represent some of the most beautiful species in the hobby.

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 03:52 PM ----------

I've yet to come across a slow tarantula. Given the right circumstances, they're all greased lightning.
Have you seen the one legged tarantula making the rounds on the AB Facebook page? ;)

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
It's funny how slow E. sp red are in comparison to the other dwarf species. Even at 1/6" the little bugger is always out and about, chillin' and having a wonderful time hunting pinheads and fruit flies. I can't wait until my widdle bugger grows up!

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
The Cyriocosmus (ritae and leetzi) were calm initially, which lulled me into a false sense of confidence when I opened the Hapalopus vials to put them into deli cups. After I had them set up I went back to the Cyriocosmus to put them in deli cups and then they started darting around too. One of the ritae even spread it's chelicerae during the process, which was pretty funny (1" spider telling me to back off). This is reminiscent of Asian terrestrials. I guess when you're that small, you have to be quick to avoid being a meal for something larger.
Yeah, they're really sketchy and you're likely right about why. Sort of like how the dwarf Aphonos are (supposedly) super feisty-look at what they've got to contend with. On the upside, they're gorgeous and fun to watch. I hope this isn't too prying but why suddenly NW dwarfs? It just seems so...out of your norm. XD

---------- Post added 08-28-2014 at 01:30 PM ----------

It's funny how slow E. sp red are in comparison to the other dwarf species. Even at 1/6" the little bugger is always out and about, chillin' and having a wonderful time hunting pinheads and fruit flies. I can't wait until my widdle bugger grows up!
I've actually spent a fair bit of time wondering what is up with this. So many other dwarfs are skittish, feisty, fast or all of the above but Euathlus sp.red seems to give no care in the world.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I hope this isn't too prying but why suddenly NW dwarfs? It just seems so...out of your norm.
I know, as I normally favor large species, the bigger the better. I recently ran across 1.2 adults of a dwarf Aphonopelma species (that may be Central American; came in with some A. seemani). They're under 3", and I want to see if I can breed them (AF's are beige with darker carapaces, skinny legs, and the MM is all black). I've always liked a few of the most colorful Cyriocosmus, and when I saw Chris Allen selling ritae and leetzi last week, along with Hapalopus Colombia Large, I decided to pull the trigger on them.

Another selling point is that as my spider room gets fuller, these little guys don't take up much space, even as adults.

I had a chance last year to get some adult Euathalus red cheap, and now wish I would have.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I just got Haps CL on Fri. and had the same thing happen trying to get the first one out of the straw into the vial.Fast and tiny could so easily wind up being dead or gone,good job getting it back.Mine just did laps around my hands,and eventually right into the vial.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I myself have got several species/genus from the placid almost friendly Euathlus sp red and paraphysa sp north to a recently purchased Hapalopus triseriatus lowland which even though its less than 1/2" it as more atitude than my gbb it flicks hair like a ninja and even threw up a threat pose that really made me laugh. As for speed ive not personally come across any dwarf as quick as my 1st oligoxystre diamantinensis sling which recently escaped and was eaten by my g iheringi so when I received my od sling this week I knew what to expect coz I swear you blink and its doing laps of your arm

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sometimes they stay wired. I have 3 C. ritae slings that stay right by the lids waiting for me to open them. And every time i open the lid they bolt out onto my arm. I just let them be, feed and water, then fight them back into the enclosure.

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
My Hapalopus are both still small slings, around 1/2". They are pretty quick though and have run out of their little cups onto my hands. They have little burrows made up too, they just choose that making a break for it is more fun than hiding haha.