Which tarantulas do you regret buying?

Gibson211

Arachnosquire
For me its any of my haplopelmas. They are so beautiful and inexpensive that I forget I'll never see them when I take them home

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Not a one. There are a few I have that I certainly never sought out and as a species don't generally care for but at this point, they're my spiders and I love them.

Never seeing them is a major downside of pet hole tarantulas, but then there's that moment, when one day you glance over at your collection and there it is, just sitting outside it's burrow in all it's rarely seen glory. My M.balfouri only recently started coming out again for the first time since May. When I last saw her, the adult coloration was coming in, but was dingy...now she looks like a miniature adult, so that was pretty neat to just see sitting outside her burrow one day a couple weeks ago.

awiec

Arachnoprince
For some time it was a P.muticus, I did not buy it but got it as an unexpected freebie. I was just getting into OW, I received it with an order I got and did not feel I was ready to care for it. After having to extract it out of a molt and observe its habits I've grown more fond of it. Sure I may change my mind as it gets bigger but for the time being I enjoy having it around. As for pet holes my O. sp Panay Blue usually just shows me its legs early in the morning but like Belle said I was giddy like a little school girl when I saw it just chilling out of its burrow allowing me to admire the various shades of brown it is.

gobey

Arachnoknight
I regret not getting different tarantulas first. Like researching tarantula keeping before getting a tarantula. I bought my Rose hair at a convention booth where there were exotic reptiles. You could handle a rose hair for $5 and take a picture with it. And for $15 you could buy one. And for $20 you could buy one in a shoebox enclosure with some coco fiber and a ceramic water dish. So I was like SOLD! That was after wanting one as a teenager (I'm 26 now) and I googled Stan Schultz' care sheet.

But man I didn't realize what I was really getting. Other than a cheap tarantula. I got a rather dull colored "Porteri" rose hair. And she doesn't move much. And I know now that even though she eats like a bodybuilder, I am only supposed to feed her about 4 crickets a month. And she's not as "docile" as proclaimed. She thinks everything is food. And is cranky sometimes. Heck she's even kicked hairs at the paintbrush.

So after more research on beginner tarantulas, because naturally I had become fascinated and wanted more
And of course Avics were on that list. They didn't quite interested me. Because they were small, leggy, and arboreal.

But they happened to be stocked at petsmart and we're about 3" for $25. Decent price and was like the only other tarantula other than a rose hair for sale at a pet shop in the state. Besides a random OBT at a specialized pet store. So.... Impulse buy! I rescued this little guy who was in a cracked cricket keeper.

And he's real chill and mellow. But he likes to try to explore sometimes, and boy man are they messy. Besides poo shooting, his cage is just an absolute mess.

So all the next Ts I researched first and bought from,breeders and dealers I found here.

But regret buying my first 2? No. They're family. Cranky and messy as they may be. Plus if I never found that ridiculously cheap rose hair. I wouldn't have taken the plunge into tarantula keeping at all.

:)

Neoza

Arachnobaron
I agree with belle fury!! When you dont see them much and than there is a moment that they are out!! Its sooo wonderful!

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Zero regrets for me! I have ten now and love them all - but my Chaco gold knee and my Carla bad green are jerks!

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I see my H.minax much more than the lividium,she comes right out to eat as long as no bright lights are on.I see the H.lividium sometimes at feeding,maybe twice a month.Maybe you'll see yours more than you think. Good luck!

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I can't imagine regretting any T purchase.. personally. I feel like, when I purchase a T, it will be with zero expectations. It's a chance to get to know the little guy... whatever it's individual behavior patterns are. As a result of not expecting anything, I feel that I will be able to simply enjoy whatever behaviors it exhibits and adjusting accordingly.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
But man I didn't realize what I was really getting. Other than a cheap tarantula. I got a rather dull colored "Porteri" rose hair. And she doesn't move much. And I know now that even though she eats like a bodybuilder, I am only supposed to feed her about 4 crickets a month. And she's not as "docile" as proclaimed. She thinks everything is food. And is cranky sometimes. Heck she's even kicked hairs at the paintbrush.
:)
I don't regret my Porteri. Even though I plan to get more colorful species down the line one of the reasons I'll always favor my Porteri is that she's always out while many other species hide in their burrows a lot. Mine also has a nice pink/red hue on the top of the carapace so that adds some beauty :)

dredrickt

Arachnoknight
I bought 3 H. Lividum's that in hindsight, I wish I had gotten more E. Murinus/Cyanognathus instead. I'll hang onto them until they mature though, I bought them with the intention of raising them and I still will.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
None whatsoever. Only my 1st T was given to me, the rest were purchased locally, and plan on many more in the future. Deciding on which OW species I want to add, maybe an African type. Such incredible creatures!!!

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

CLICKBANGBANG

Arachnopeon
None to really speak of. All of my Ts so far I don't regret buying.

If any maybe just an A. versicolor from last year. The sling had a bad molt and didn't make it. I'll try another versi one day though.

Tangle

Arachnopeon
I can't think of any I regret. Sometimes when it comes to feeding them I feel lazy and wish I only had a couple. Then I try to pick the couple I would keep and it ends up being all of them.

Monkeyock

Arachnopeon
Regrets? Not yet!!

While I may regret buying 4 L. parahybana slings when they are getting around 8" each, so far the only regrets I have had was buying a "strongly suspected female" M. balfouri that molted out male less than two months later. I didn't regret having "Christine" but I regretted only having him for the short time he had left. We sent him out on a 50/50 but the female ate the sac :(