Mealworm turned in to beetle

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Hey everyone i have a question. I already searched on AB but didnt found what i wanted. My mealworms deformed to beetles, i wanted to release them in nature but i thought they would die of cold. Can i give them to my T's or not? I know they will eat it but i want to know for sure! image.jpg image.jpg

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Don't release them.
Yes, tarantulas can safely eat them too.

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
You could also keep the beetles in a plastic container with oat meal and breed your own mealworms. Give them a peice of fruit or vegetable once a week for moisture and they do fine. You will save money on feeders this way.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
We have another thread going on superworms. Did you miss it?

Neoza

Arachnobaron
You could also keep the beetles in a plastic container with oat meal and breed your own mealworms. Give them a peice of fruit or vegetable once a week for moisture and they do fine. You will save money on feeders this way.
yes thats what i do :) i keep the beetles together and the mealworms together!

---------- Post added 08-29-2014 at 10:27 AM ----------

We have another thread going on superworms. Did you miss it?
Yes i was doubting to put my question there but the thread is about an experiment i red? And the issue that you can give the beetle to your T isnt relevant there? Perhaps i had better put my question there? :)

Mike41793

Arachnoknight
Yup, x2, I've fed the beetles to my T's with no issues. They're a bit harder than roaches so they crunch a bit more haha. But the T's take them down just fine :)

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Yup, x2, I've fed the beetles to my T's with no issues. They're a bit harder than roaches so they crunch a bit more haha. But the T's take them down just fine :)
Some T's won't eat superworms, and even fewer will eat the beetles. Not going to work as a basic food for a collection.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Some T's won't eat superworms, and even fewer will eat the beetles. Not going to work as a basic food for a collection.
Ok good to know! But i will still giving them crickets en worms but i want to give these to otherwise i cant do anything with them! :)

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
yes you can.. you can let them reproduce. Raising your own mealworms is SUPER easy and will save you money in the long run.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate the smell of the superworm beetles. I don't blame the spider for not wanting to eat them.

GG80

Arachnoknight
I hate the smell of the superworm beetles. I don't blame the spider for not wanting to eat them.
I agree. All my mealworms have transformed into beetles and the smell is horrible. I have been feeding beetle peices to my small slings though but they don't seem to like them and now there's just too many. I think it's time to release them.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
put the whole colony in a cool - cold room. they will almost completely stop reproducing. If you opt to put them in the refridgerator, put them on the bottom shelf and take them out every 2 weeks for about 24 hours with a slice of apple or potato so they can get some hydration. Take the piece of apple or w/e out after 24 hours and place them back in the refridgerator. You're colony will keep like that almost indefinitely.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Im really not going to release them!!!!! And i dont smell anything... Yes i wanted to keep them in the refrigirator but i dont mind that they turn into beetles! Its actualy very cool to see! I mean the worms maybe cost like 50 cents and i do a long time with them so...

GG80

Arachnoknight
yeah, actually releasing anything like that into the wild, just letting them go like that is VERY irresponsible.
It was a bad choice of words, I didn't want to use the phrase, 'kill them'. I have no use for them and I am aware of the irresponsibility of letting bugs loose into the wild.