phiddipus audux?

jwhite6188

Arachnopeon
I got this jumping spider from work see them all the time. Decided to keep it they are so awesome and fun to interact with. So I see several different names for them all over but can't seem to find the one I caught. It's tan/grayish color with a gold sheen on its carapace and stripe down the top of the abdomen also a gold sheen look. I know pictures are better and plan to upload soon

Last edited:

jwhite6188

Arachnopeon
ill have to check again and take some pictures tonight (i meant to last night and got lazy) :p
but its the same type ive seen all my life in florida. funny thing is ive lived here all my life and never seen any other types at all until this morning. i just caught one (its defiently an adult biggest one ive ever seen all my life in person) and it is wicked cool looking. its go really fuzzy pedipalps with white hairs and an orange spot on its carapace and orange and white pattern on its abdomen that make out a little face its is by far the coolest spider ive WC i will get some pics up for everyone

flamingpie

Arachnopeon
Definitely might be a phiddipus sp. but I wouldn't assume audax without seeing a picture. Heck, it could be another species entirely.

Salticstance

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Phidippus species

P. audax isn't one of the common species of Phidippus in Tampa. P. regius and P. otiosus are the two common species of Phidippus in Hillsborough County. It sounds like you have a female P. regius.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Sounds more like Paraphidippus aurantius IMO. This species can be quite large.

there are no phidippus species with a metallic carapace. Juvenile phidippus species have a metallic green patch on their abdomen, which is faint in the otiosus group. (regius, otiosus, californicus)

jwhite6188

Arachnopeon
Phiddipus regius it is but I have noticed a problem with her I'm fairly certain it's female and she might be gravid. So I was going to find her a nice spot and release her since I really don't want to deal with babies. I have a brown and black widow both females that won't stop dropping sacs. But I noticed she's missing a leg and it seems like that whole side of her is injured cause she's dragging the two legs behind the missing one. She's pretty feisty when I first tried to check on her but now she seems to be calming down. ICU?