GBB Thinks she's aboreal

Kees Hood

Arachnopeon
My 1" GBB sling immediately runs to the highest point in any container I house her in. She then proceeds to
build a web hide there. It makes slipping in small crickets difficult without escape. I offered her some suitable
hides, but she hardly notices. The substrate is eco earth, which isn't particularly wet, or moist. Any explanation
for this behavior? Is this normal?

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
A lot of people describe GBBs as "semi-arboreal" because while they don't live in trees, they are capable of doing vertical living (as are all tarantulas, being that generally burrowing species are still vertically oriented). It's perfectly normal for any T to do something you may not expect. If your GBB is eating and behaving normally, then it's fine. Let it do what it wants and work around it. Odds are, one day its behavior will change. Many times.

dementedlullaby

Arachnobaron
My T. ockerti sling is arboreal one day, climbing around the vial and moss like a nut. The next day it doesn't want to leave the ground lol. Interesting species.

As long as it's healthy and not in danger don't worry about what it's doing. Spiders will be spiders :).

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I have 5 GBB's in vials,they are all living at different levels,I have a couple doing the same thing yours is,no worries.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Put your GBB in an ExoTerra BreederBox, small. Side openings for crix!

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My GBB has done the same, despite all the fabulous web anchors, and the palace I made out of sticks for him to web up :(
Hopefully after he dries up from his molt last night he'll relocate to something closer to the ground.

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i agree with working around it. one of my gbb thought it was arboreal at one point next molt it was a display T and never webbed.. now it knows its a gbb and hides. tho poops on the walls like an avic XD thats our next goal.. outgrow the wall pooping XD

---------- Post added 08-30-2014 at 10:35 PM ----------

Put your GBB in an ExoTerra BreederBox, small. Side openings for crix!
lol till it makes its web beside one of the latches XD

Kees Hood

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys! I moved her to an extra small kritter keeper. She immediately ran up to a corner and built a little silk house. However, she did not make an exit. Is
this a sign she's molting?

Medusa

Arachnoknight
My little GBB has made a trampoline-style web near the top of a half gallon cylinder. It stays up there at the lip of the container always. Never seen it on the substrate. It acts more arboreal than most of my official arboreals. I just go with it.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've raised all of my GBB slings in arboreal oriented enclosures. My four year old adult female started spending more time near or on the ground after her last molt in November 2013. She molted up high in a web hammock, came down for a drink afterward and never seemed to go back to the high reaches.