what did i do wrong!!!

getbornanddie

Arachnopeon
i think shes alive but barely barely moving ---> barely what do i do???

just molted but i though she was dead!!!!!!

i wish i could edit the title

dude i thought she was dead like half way in her molt -- but i got in their and took out her molt and boom she barely moved her leg im scared though is she ok???

Attachments

Last edited:

LadyofSpiders

Arachnopeon
If it just molted, leave it alone... It's fine.
After a spider molts they will be very sensitive and need at least a week to harden their exoskeleton. You'll do more harm than good by trying to help it do what it already knows how to do.

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Glad to hear it's still kicking. I'd leave it be and let nature take its course. If it does die leaving it alone won't make it more dead but messing with it certainly can

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Wherr her legs curled? Because T's dont move a lot though! Some of my T's can sit for days in the same position, its just what they do :)

cold blood

Staff member
After it hardens up, I'd recommend getting it out of that glass jar and into a better container/enclosure.

There's 2 big issues with that jar. The first is that the bottlenecked opening makes everything more difficult as it provides less room for you to work. Second, and the most important reason to avoid that jar (or any glass jar) is that it prevents cross ventilation, which is important, especially for arboreal species. Having vents on the top does nothing to create or optimize airflow, actually making the bottom half pretty much stagnant air.

If there's issues, its likely caused by a lack of proper airflow IMO.

If you professionally blow glass and can make cross ventilation in glass jars, disregard, but very few have that capability.

Good luck with the little guy.;)

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
My avic is doing about the same as you describe - except mine molted about a week ago & has hardly moved for four days now. The ventilation in my enclosure is good, & the other avic I have of the same size & same care is doing fine so I really can't nail down if/what I'm doing wrong or if the molted avic is still hardening up. I know it's hard not to worry but all you can really do is leave it alone & hope for the best. I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us !

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Without a plastic container, you're unable to provide adequate cross-ventilation. Avics are often said to need high humidity, but this is not the case. A good water dish will provide enough humidity, but waht is more vital is ample cross ventilation. Avics live up in trees in rainforest areas, they have breezes blowing over them constantly in their natural habitats. A glass jar with holes poked in the top does not provide what they need.

lacrosse5001

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To address the original concern (as my fellows have fully attended to the enclosure that irks me as well), your spider should be fine. After a molt their exoskeletons are soft so that they may grow, but due to the softness they are very delicate, very sluggish, and often very dehydrated. One that size won't need more than a week to toughen back up, and at that point transfer it.