Need to satisfy the craving...

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
So just started owning T's again after a long hiatus. I completely understand the need to leave them be especially when they burrow and hide. However, I find myself itching to see them everyday! How do you feed the need!? Is the only answer more T's...?
True spiders help, finding jumpers very cool....might get a few from http://phids.net/ and try to breed...
I only have three T's and I did not have much of an issue with this with my P. imperators as I started with 20 scorplings so there was always something to see or someone to feed :p
Not saying I am the kind of person who needs an always visible or able-to-be-cuddled pet, far from it actually, I prefer to observe my pets and respect their need for a low-stress environment but still...I miss my T's :(

Not a total noob with T's but these are my first slings, is it too soon to get more? Repticon-baltimore is coming up pretty soon....

Neoza

Arachnobaron
Yes more T's will help. But you can do also another thing: instead of feeding your T's 1 big mealworm or something you can fees them 5 small crickets and you spread it over the month. So you will see your T more often because a lot of T's come out to eat! :)

Akai

Arachnobaron
unless you get a true fossorial T then i would'nt worry about the whole burrowing and hiding. this is common behavior in terrrestial slings and to a certain extant even some arboreals will burrow as slings. as they get older most Ts will be happy with a hide or abandon a hide all together but should always be given the option. tarantulas are nocturnal creatures and you might need to adjust your sleep schedule if you want to see any sort of activity outside of feeding. they are ambush predators so 90% of their day is pet rock mode while the remaining 10% is milling about. lol of course there are certain tarantulas that make great display Ts like a GBB, others like a gorgeous haplopelma lividum cobalt blue will be content to live its life underground.

Neoza

Arachnobaron
unless you get a true fossorial T then i would'nt worry about the whole burrowing and hiding. this is common behavior in terrrestial slings and to a certain extant even some arboreals will burrow as slings. as they get older most Ts will be happy with a hide or abandon a hide all together but should always be given the option. tarantulas are nocturnal creatures and you might need to adjust your sleep schedule if you want to see any sort of activity outside of feeding. they are ambush predators so 90% of their day is pet rock mode while the remaining 10% is milling about. lol of course there are certain tarantulas that make great display Ts like a GBB, others like a gorgeous haplopelma lividum cobalt blue will be content to live its life underground.
Yes indeed thats true!! Sometimes i get up in the night to look at my T's and believe me than they walk arouns like dogs! :)

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Sweet! Your post Akai has made me feel a little better although I still scratch my neck and arms when I haven't seen a Tarantula for awhile..."Come on baby come out and let me get a peek...just enough to get me strait..."

CLICKBANGBANG

Arachnopeon
I have 8 small Ts (slings and juveniles), and there is one out most of the time.

I'd hold off on buying a ton all at once.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You could get some more so you have something to watch at all times. On the same note: Use common-sense and don't branch out too far...yet. What you describe is the reason why so many people get more than one sling. Firstly to enhance chances to end up with a female and secondly for people starting out to have more to watch and fun to feed :D

Myself owning 40+ T's currently I have no issue with the first part: There's always something going on :D

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
You could get some more so you have something to watch at all times. On the same note: Use common-sense and don't branch out too far...yet. What you describe is the reason why so many people get more than one sling. Firstly to enhance chances to end up with a female and secondly for people starting out to have more to watch and fun to feed :D

Myself owning 40+ T's currently I have no issue with the first part: There's always something going on :D
Yeah...holding off is probably wise counsel. Got to admit, this hobby is definitely addictive though...I do like your signature, Storm76 :p

awiec

Arachnoprince
I have about 20 Ts with half the collection at my house and half at my bf's house and someone is always doing something. Granted my first T was a versi and it is gracious enough to be out all the time, but I do feel bad for those people who get like 2 or 3 slings and they hide all the time. I usually raise my slings for some time, before I'd get something new and bam now I have quite the little collection. It's also very helpful to get T with different living styles, my versi and T.gigas are out all the time and chill out on their logs, while I have some that refuse to come out until the evening or in the middle of the night so I at least get to see a spider 24/7. My advice is just to slowly build back up again and maybe get some aboreals as they *can* be less shy.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Good insight, different slings/juveniles from different genera would be cool...some Brachy's, some Grammastola's, some Avic's... etc..

I have about 20 Ts with half the collection at my house and half at my bf's house and someone is always doing something. Granted my first T was a versi and it is gracious enough to be out all the time, but I do feel bad for those people who get like 2 or 3 slings and they hide all the time. I usually raise my slings for some time, before I'd get something new and bam now I have quite the little collection. It's also very helpful to get T with different living styles, my versi and T.gigas are out all the time and chill out on their logs, while I have some that refuse to come out until the evening or in the middle of the night so I at least get to see a spider 24/7. My advice is just to slowly build back up again and maybe get some aboreals as they *can* be less shy.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
I tend to jump in with both feet,ordering a dozen or more at one time.It's all what you're comfortable with.I have 68 now,but I've had as many as 110,because I raise them out of vial size and sell them.If you can handle more,buy more,if not don't.You know yourself better than we do.I'd think you could easily handle more T's if you had 20 scorps.More T's is always the answer.

awiec

Arachnoprince
I tend to jump in with both feet,ordering a dozen or more at one time.It's all what you're comfortable with.I have 68 now,but I've had as many as 110,because I raise them out of vial size and sell them.If you can handle more,buy more,if not don't.You know yourself better than we do.I'd think you could easily handle more T's if you had 20 scorps.More T's is always the answer.
Exactly, I'm not a mass ordering person myself, I prefer to hand pick what I want from shows but I've received about 1/2 of my collection from online and am always pleased with the results. Everyone has their own pace and honestly most of my Ts are not pet holes, the ones that kinda are will become more active when some of my other Ts become pet holes due to premolt; I have a very considerate group of Ts. But a branching into different genera is a must, you miss out on all sorts of cool behavior if you just stick to a few.

To the OP if you want an interesting grammie I would suggest G.ihringi, mine don't ever hide and gain quite a bit when they molt. They also have their adult colors in their very early instars and act more like a GBB than a pet rock.

shawno821

Arachno Pimp
To the OP if you want an interesting grammie I would suggest G.ihringi, mine don't ever hide and gain quite a bit when they molt. They also have their adult colors in their very early instars and act more like a GBB than a pet rock.[/QUOTE]

+1 on getting a G.iheringi,I have 3.You'll never regret buying those,but you will regret it if you don't. Mine are only 2.5",and they look like a bright GBB. I've never seen mine hide,and they eat like pigs.Becoming one of my favorites because of their personality.

Dizzle

Arachnoknight
Definitely liking the G.iheringi. Thanks for the replies, I do believe this particular species has made it to my wish list :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
Definitely liking the G.iheringi. Thanks for the replies, I do believe this particular species has made it to my wish list :)
I would pick them up now if you can, they disappear and reappear from the hobby. There are many vendors selling them at discounted prices now so you don't have to pay 75-150 a sling like it was when they first started hatching out this year. Plus they aren't any more difficult to care for than any other grammie, they just are more active and colorful.